New Machine Build Saturn 4x4 plasma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 4x4 plasma

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saturn 4x4 plasma

Going to this in reverse a bit,will post build pictures/comments soon. Here is a picture of the semi completed Saturn Plasma.

Phil
    Ohio

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1658-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by pjohnsonj; 04-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 4x4 plasma

I want to purchace a 4/4 Saturn from FLA soon . Never thought of it as a CNC plasma cutter , very neat

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a nice looking setup! The stand looks pretty sturdy, too. Did you build that?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, i built the stand. Here are some pics
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_0937-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0939-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0940-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0942-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0945-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0947-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0949-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0952-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_0954-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1152-copy-2-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1154-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1156-jpg.Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_0935-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me rephrase - that is a SERIOUSLY nice and sturdy stand!!

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Let me rephrase - that is a SERIOUSLY nice and sturdy stand!!

David
    + 1 . I really need to learn how to weld . Bought one , just haven't used it yet

I don't actually know anything about CNC router tables , but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the positive feedback. Here are more photos.

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1160-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1161-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1167-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1170-jpg

55 gallon drum in this photo is for water storage for the water table. I did not want the water standing in the tray all the time. Water drains in the drum when not in use. All it takes is 5psi of air pressure to push the water back into tray.
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1172-jpg

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1192-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1198-jpg

water table
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1459-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1461-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1211-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty slick looking - very well done! What will you be cutting (primarily)?

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will be cutting anything from decorative/art pieces to misc brackets/parts. More pics...

floating head on z with magnetic breakaway torch mount
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1543-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1539-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1549-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1557-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1559-jpg

My Z mount had same issue as some of the others with needing spacers. I took advantage of it and made a support shelf.
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1552-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1556-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1559-jpg

I took some regular 8020 end caps and milled holes in them to cover gantry ends
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1562-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1563-jpg

I replaced the energy chains with CNCRP ones. the ones that the Saturn came with drove me nuts, although they function fine. I made brackets for the ends of the new energy chains instead of threaded rod. Also drilled a big hole with a rubber grommet for wires.
    Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1631-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1634-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1635-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1637-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1638-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1650-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1651-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1652-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is great work. Hats off to you.

Those gantry ends are a nice touch. Actually, looking at it, one would just assume the Saturn comes with those.

Modifications/upgrades that look "stock" are the best. They don't have to be expensive or complicated to be impressive.

Can you explain what your primary issue was with the stock energy chain?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the pictures, looks great! I think I may have gotten the first Saturn with the steel beam gantry. Kind of missed not being able to run cables through it.
    What kind of speeds do you need for plasma cutting?
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Phil , you certainly have some skills there . The type I'd like to have. Really liking how you welded the frame , and those end caps are sure a nice touch

Downloads
    Uploads

Great job on the plasma setup. I've also made my Saturn into a plasma machine. I keep meaning to post some photos of my progress, I'll have to do so! I can see you have a Hypertherm, but couldn't tell which model? I'd be interested in sharing tips and info once you're up and cutting. I went with the new 45xp for my machine build. I like that Sheetcam has all the Hypertherm model tool list files, so you can simply load the tool list for your specific model, select the metal and gauge/thickness and it loads the factory cut speeds for your cutting amps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

energy chain. Again stock one functions fine. The CNCRP ones only takes a quick twist with a screw driver and they pop up(hinged on opposite side), quicker and easier. I will be adding stuff down the road and wanted to make it easier to get it and out. I also went one size up in width.

Saturn 4x4 plasma-cable-track-screwdriver-jpg

On the Fineline ones you have to use a small screw driver at very specific places. If you don't follow the proper procedure they will break. Make sure you follow this video.

Using a Hypertherm 45xp, feed speeds depending on steel thickness 15 to 320 in/min.

Using Candcnc.com controller with THC. Went with the Linux version using a modified version of Linuxcnc called Commandcnc(from Candcnc). Using sheetcam as well. Sharing tips would be great!

Would love to see pictures of the new steel gantry.

Mores pics

Computer stand. Had this laying around, not sure if I'll keep it, but for now it works.

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1602-jpg

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1836-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1835-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1839-jpg

test cuts

Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_1842-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1847-jpgSaturn 4x4 plasma-img_1846-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are a couple of pics of my Saturn with the steel gantry.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_20170327_182823132-jpg   Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_20170327_182848524-jpg   Saturn 4x4 plasma-img_20170327_182724584_hdr-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the steel gantry a lot. The Saturn for a plasma table is a bit over kill, since your only moving a torch head around and not pushing/cutting material like a router. I have a router that I built several years ago and used 8020 for the base. Too much movement and vibration. Should have welded up a steel base from start. the cheapest way to help with vibration is mass. I would weld up a base full of heavy steel and cross bracing....

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of my Saturn with the steel gantry.

Dave
    That just looks awesome!

David

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnsonj View Post
    I like the steel gantry a lot. The Saturn for a plasma table is a bit over kill, since your only moving a torch head around and not pushing/cutting material like a router. I have a router that I built several years ago and used 8020 for the base. Too much movement and vibration. Should have welded up a steel base from start. the cheapest way to help with vibration is mass. I would weld up a base full of heavy steel and cross bracing....
    Would your opinion be that 3/16" wall box channel would be good for the base? Maybe even get away with 1/8" wall? I have some 1/4" wall laying around....but that seems like overkill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it for a router or a plasma?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnsonj View Post
    Is it for a router or a plasma?
    Router...for non-ferrous metals.

Last edited by cobra514; 04-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast