New Machine Build Monsters Machine - Saturn 4X4 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monsters Machine - Saturn 4X4

Default Re: Monsters Machine - Saturn 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Wouldn't think you would want the Z sensor sticking down like that. Way too much potential to hit something. Most machines do not even use this sensor, just set up the soft limits.
    Understand and agree. We have magnetic limit switches on our other machine (below) and they were no big deal to install. The inductive sensors are not as friendly to package. Sound like I need to do some homework on the soft limits,
    Monsters Machine - Saturn 4X4-cnc-machine-jpg

We finally got a KentCNC Split Shoe - very nice piece!
    Removable brush with magnetic retention is a great feature.

Monsters Machine - Saturn 4X4-img_4668-jpgMonsters Machine - Saturn 4X4-img_4669-jpg

Our vacuum and hose may be a little undersized - need to use it a bit to decide.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you have been making some dust. So what do you think of the machine so far? What kind of rapids and cutting speeds are you able to get? How heavy do you really think this machine is? Doesn't look like it would weigh 700lbs. Weight is the biggest thing holding me back right now as I don't have room for a engine hoist where I want it to go. It would have to go through a 36" door on edge.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you have been making some dust. So what do you think of the machine so far? What kind of rapids and cutting speeds are you able to get? How heavy do you really think this machine is? Doesn't look like it would weigh 700lbs. Weight is the biggest thing holding me back right now as I don't have room for a engine hoist where I want it to go. It would have to go through a 36" door on edge.
    Our machine is the 2x4 and the frame without all the motors and related stuff is around 450 lbs., if I recall, and I borrowed two piano dollies from church to roll it into our shop from the driveway. Each piano dolly is rated for 900 lbs. I don't know why you couldn't stand the frame on edge and do the same thing.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Our machine is the 2x4 and the frame without all the motors and related stuff is around 450 lbs., if I recall, and I borrowed two piano dollies from church to roll it into our shop from the driveway. Each piano dolly is rated for 900 lbs. I don't know why you couldn't stand the frame on edge and do the same thing.
    Thanks David

The weight of the 2'x4' is 425 without the crate, not including electronics or spindle. You put NEMA 34 electronics on and a spindle and it'll be closer to 550.

The weight of the 4'x4' is rough 515 lbs without the crate, not including electronics or spindle.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    The weight of the 2'x4' is 425 without the crate, not including electronics or spindle. You put NEMA 34 electronics on and a spindle and it'll be closer to 550.

The weight of the 4'x4' is rough 515 lbs without the crate, not including electronics or spindle.
    Thanks for the info, Nate. I see you are addressing the Z axis motor mounts, what about the issues with the prox switch mounting that has been brought up several times in this forum. Think you have a great machine here, just needs a little tweaking yet.

We love the machine - very solid. No doubt it'll cut as fast as the tools and materials will allow - and it is heavy. Nate can give you the actual weights. Ours came in with a shipping weight over 700 lbs but that included dunnage. You'll likely have to disassemble the cross head if you want to carry through a door and even then it'll be a hefty move so bring a few good friends when you do it. Recommend you start prepping the area now with a base or stand because you'll want a place to drop it as soon as you get it close. Good Luck

Thanks for the info, Nate. I see you are addressing the Z axis motor mounts, what about the issues with the prox switch mounting that has been brought up several times in this forum. Think you have a great machine here, just needs a little tweaking yet.
    We have a fair bit of changes underway. The proximity switch mounting is going to be addressed shortly. We are working on redesigning the switches to mount perpendicular to the axis and be located in a spot where they can never be crushed.

Should have some more info for you shortly.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12