New Machine Build Saturn 4 X 4 build

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn 4 X 4 build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saturn 4 X 4 build

After pouring over countless build threads I almost pulled the trigger on a CNCRouter Parts 48X48, but in the back of my mind I remembered seeing a beautiful blue machine that seemed to use the best of the CRP parts along with the rigidity of a welded steel frame.

So after reading over the two excellent build threads here I called Nate and "went for it".

Since those builds were for the 24 X 48, I figured I'd document my build of this 4 X 4.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 4 X 4 build

I went for the Plug and Play option, NEMA 34 for faster rapids. I'm hoping to cut both plywood and foam, so the speed might be nice to have.

I also opted for the air cooled spindle from CRP.

Time to start thinking about the stand! Since I've been using the Makerplace router I took a class on Mig welding. Hard for these old eyes to see where I was welding but with a 2000 lumen spotlight I could finally see the target!

I figure that the best thing would be to warm up with the legs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2235-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2244-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, after about a month of anticipation, I got a HUGE Christmas present delivered to my work!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2241-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2242-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The logistics of transporting this beast have been keeping me up at night, but I think that with the help of my 19 yr old son and a coworker I think we will be able to handle it...but I have some welding to do first!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2246-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Question for Nate: once I weld up the frame (basically legs) I'll paint them. What brand and color of paint do you use? I''m not sure whether to go with black, or to try to match.

Downloads
    Uploads

Really looking forward to this build! I built the first (prototype) Saturn 2x4 and documented it here. Seems like Nate said it is Pantone 306. How heavy is the 4x4?

David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

David, shipping weight was 750 lbs I think. All I know is, I can't lift one corner a quarter of an inch with out straining!

Downloads
    Uploads

Those legs are going to need some triangular bracing...

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I too am looking at this machine. Have not decided on plug and play or just nema 34 mounts

Downloads
    Uploads

Got all the metal cut for the stand. It's 2" square tubing with .120" wall.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2250-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After a long day I've got it mostly ready for paint...I've just got to add the forgotten shelf support, then scotch-brite and paint.

Thanks for the suggestion ger21 on the bracing!

Ward

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2255-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After I made up my garage like a Dexter Kill Room I realized that painting something this big isn't easy!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2257-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2272-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Time to actually move the thing from work to home!

An engine hoist is JUST barely big enough to load it onto the truck and back onto the stand.

- - - Updated - - -

Done! Time for a drink!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2260-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2263-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2277-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really good! Keep the posts coming.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks really good on the stand. Are you going to keep it that close to the wall? I don't have much room around mine but I find that I often need to get to that end; just curious.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

I went out to the garage and started playing around with my new baby. David, besides the limit switches, what sort of access will I need to the back of the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

So I was playing around with the gantry travel and I found something interesting: when I pushed it towards the wall the right side pinion fell off the rack since the rack doesn't reach the back of the machine. On the left side of the gantry the pinion is angled to the front of the machine, while on the right side it is angled to the rear.

Is it possible that the right side needs to be reversed?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2279-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sybilsurf View Post
    So I was playing around with the gantry travel and I found something interesting: when I pushed it towards the wall the right side pinion fell off the rack since the rack doesn't reach the back of the machine. On the left side of the gantry the pinion is angled to the front of the machine, while on the right side it is angled to the rear.

Is it possible that the right side needs to be reversed?
    The right side does indeed need to be reversed. I am sorry about that. We should have caught it here in the factory. I am adding an additional check at the end of our listi.

To reverse the R&P:
    1) Loosen the tension arm (bolt that runs through the spring) with a 6mm hex key till it comes off.
    2) loosen the collar on the eccentric bearing at the pivot point. There is a set screw that should be facing upward.
    3) loosen the shoulder bolt at the pivot point. Remove the plate from the machine.
    4) Loosen the tensioner mounting block. It uses a 3/16" socket.
    5) Switch the tensioner receiver (the part that the bolt with the spring was threaded into) to the other side. Keep it loose enough to be turned.
    6) Install the pivot arm on the opposite side. When it's torque down, install the collet and tighten on the shaft. Be sure the collet is sitting in the eccentric bearing groove.
    7) Install the tensioner mounting block on the other side. It should be facing straight down.
    8) Thread the tensioner bolt into the receiver. The receiver should be rotated to align with the threads. After you've threaded it in a few turns, tighten the receiver down fully.
    9) Tighten the tensioner bolt down till it is compressing the spring roughly 1/8".

If you have any other questions about this let me know.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sybilsurf View Post
    I went out to the garage and started playing around with my new baby. David, besides the limit switches, what sort of access will I need to the back of the machine?
    It just might be that in my case I don't have a ton of room on the front so I've had to slide something in from the rear a couple of times. I could have run the gantry all the way to the rear and set the larger piece in from the front but it was just easier to access the rear of the machine. In thinking about it and looking at your photos again you probably have enough room in the front and sides, something I don't have (take a look at my build and you'll see how tight it is in the shop). One thing that comes to mind is if you need to machine something longer than the Y axis you'll have to stick the remainder out the front - I don't know if that will happen often or if it presents a problem but just a thought.

David

Going through the threads plus a visit to Nate's shop, I pulled the trigger on the same machine a couple weeks ago. Hoping mine is next in line!.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast