New Machine Build Saturn 4 X 4 build - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Saturn 4 X 4 build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Saturn 4 X 4 build

Thanks Coherent. I plan on making model sailplane parts and some plywood props for my Brother in Law's Circus Center.

The limit switches were pretty straightforward...mounting them was the only challenge. I used CRP's setup so I had to enable the Z so there was a little bit of a head scratcher.

Ward

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_1916-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2141-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2048-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_1513-jpg  

Last edited by sybilsurf; 01-30-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice.. your machine should go through the balsa and ply like butter. I had to look up and see what the "Circus Center" was and what kink of props you meant. Interesting field of training and a unique use for the machine!

Beautiful sailplanes!

Quote Originally Posted by sybilsurf View Post
    Thanks Coherent. I plan on making model sailplane parts and some plywood props for my Brother in Law's Circus Center.

The limit switches were pretty straightforward...mounting them was the only challenge. I used CRP's setup so I had to enable the Z so there was a little bit of a head scratcher.

Ward

What y'all are making is awesome. Great job on the signs, sailplanes, and everything else. Could I post these pictures with an attribution link back on my website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Nate.

I confess that the signs are the only thing I've actually made on the Saturn so far....the hand stand blocks were at the local Maker Place and the sailplane molds were done (slowly) on a retrofit CNC knee mill. But soon it'll all be "in house"

Ward

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got my new spoil board mounted...it took the help of a coworker to help my lug it from the living room floor to the machine in the garage....the thing must weigh about 200 lbs!

I used a 1/4" drill and drilled the holes in location on the machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2337-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Next, I used a 1/4" end mill to cut counterbores for the washers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2339-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Then I shifted the spoil board away from the rails below so that I could drill all the way through. I used a 5/16" drill so that there would be a little clearance.

Finally I routed out the T slot channels, and screwed them in with drywall screws. I MIGHT end up using bolts later...not sure if screws are beefy enough if I crank too hard on the Rockler clamp hardware.

It feels good to have the machine together again...now I can resuming dreaming up projects to cut!

Ward

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2341-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2343-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2340-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That not only looks really good, Ward, but also looks incredibly strong! I haven't decided yet whether to use clamping mechanisms of some sort; still using drywall screws into the spoilboard.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks way too nice to cut on!. Nice work.

Dave

Really nice job Ward!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Then I shifted the spoil board away from the rails below so that I could drill all the way through. I used a 5/16" drill so that there would be a little clearance.

Finally I routed out the T slot channels, and screwed them in with drywall screws. I MIGHT end up using bolts later...not sure if screws are beefy enough if I crank too hard on the Rockler clamp hardware.

It feels good to have the machine together again...now I can resuming dreaming up projects to cut!

Ward
    Very nice!

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I finally painted and mounted the foam sign and thought I'd share it here......

I've got to say that I probably would have been better off using actual HDU foam rather than the polystyrene foam...supposedly you can use a masking film and cut through it which I need to try sometime. As it was there was quite a bit of hand painting and touch-up involved! Oh well, live and learn!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2359-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That is as good as I've seen - excellent job, Ward!!

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ward,

Thanks for posting photos of your spoiler board. I am in process of assembling my Saturn 4 x 4 and currently contemplating the table options. I am surprised to read that 3/4" mdf deflected so much between supports. I would not have guess that. How much Z clearance do you have left with the three layers of 3/4"? Did you consider keeping your top layer bolted down versus part of you laminated glue up so that it would be easier to replace in the future, or do you think the glue up is necessary to get the stiffness? Did you mill the top surface after installation, and if so, how much variation did you remove across the 48x48 area?

Thanks for posting your build. I am doing to the same since I have learned so much from David, yourself, and others that posted.

Tom (GoFigure)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GoFigure View Post
    Hey Ward,

Thanks for posting photos of your spoiler board. I am in process of assembling my Saturn 4 x 4 and currently contemplating the table options. I am surprised to read that 3/4" mdf deflected so much between supports. I would not have guess that. How much Z clearance do you have left with the three layers of 3/4"? Did you consider keeping your top layer bolted down versus part of you laminated glue up so that it would be easier to replace in the future, or do you think the glue up is necessary to get the stiffness? Did you mill the top surface after installation, and if so, how much variation did you remove across the 48x48 area?

Thanks for posting your build. I am doing to the same since I have learned so much from David, yourself, and others that posted.

Tom (GoFigure)
    Tom, I still have something like 9" of Z...lots.

I like the idea of a little more stiffness with the glued on layer, I figure that I could just use the spoilboard surfacing program and mill away any remaining mdf when it's time to glue on another layer.

I needed to router off 60 thou or so to get it flat...I imagine that all routers are similar? I was going to shim the MDF flat, but it wasn't going to be much help so I just surfaced it and moved on.

Ward

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got my lap top shelf done! It ain't the prettiest thing...would look better in black anodized aluminum, but it seems to work great.

I used the sand fill plugs as the mounting point, and made it out of 3/4" Baltic Birch.

Gives me a place to finally mount the E-stop!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2383-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2384-jpg   Saturn 4 X 4 build-img_2388-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice clean & neatly done design. Well done! Actually the wood shelf for a wood cutting cnc router seems fitting!!

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks great! Nice design.

David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

ynnek, I made my stand 67" wide by 59 1/2" deep. I wish my garage was as big as yours!

Ward
    Ward,
    I just ordered my 4x4 today. Are your stand dimensions the exact size of the machine frame? How tall did you make it? I'm sure this will be the first of many questions.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast