Y axis issue Need Help please

Thread: Y axis issue Need Help please

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Y axis issue Need Help please

Hi All,

I have an FLA 100 cmc machine with a Gecko 540 drive, and I use mach3

My issue is that after calibration via mach 3 it seems like all my axis are working ok.
    My issue is with the y axis. Starting at 0 i make a 20" move and I end up at a move of 20 1/8" of a move. When I move back 20" I am perfectly back on 0

Any of the experts here that have any advice? Scratching my head here.

Thank you all so much
    Gerrald

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Y axis issue Need Help please

Quote Originally Posted by gerraldpeters View Post
    Hi All,

I have an FLA 100 cmc machine with a Gecko 540 drive, and I use mach3

My issue is that after calibration via mach 3 it seems like all my axis are working ok.
    My issue is with the y axis. Starting at 0 i make a 20" move and I end up at a move of 20 1/8" of a move. When I move back 20" I am perfectly back on 0

Any of the experts here that have any advice? Scratching my head here.

Thank you all so much
    Gerrald
    Well, since it moves back to 0 I think the first think to check is your motor configuration file. The Steps Per Inch should be set to 4000. Also, are you using the imperial units in the Mach 3 settings?

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Well, since it moves back to 0 I think the first think to check is your motor configuration file. The Steps Per Inch should be set to 4000. Also, are you using the imperial units in the Mach 3 settings?
    Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
    I did start out at 4000 steps. Mach3 is set to imperial. Mach3 has this option to do motor calibration, and after doing that it corrects the steps to something like 3995....... This should give me a more accurate steps per. This is what confuses me.

It should be 4000. 5 steps difference is 0.00125" and I would chalk that up to backlash more than anything. I am not a big fan of mach 3's motor calibration.

5 steps * 20 is 100 steps. That's a 0.025in difference. Not enough for 1/8" difference, but it certainly probably contributed. Let's set it back to 4000 and try again.

The other thing to look for is the gantry racking when it moves. When did you get the FLA100? Does it have the gusset brackets on the extended carriages? We added those specifically because the gantry would rack under load.

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fineline,

Thank you for your reply. I did set it back to 4000 this morning and did a quick test. It is correct now. Thank you. Of course I am measuring with just a regular tape measure so not to accurate but ways closer then the 1/8". I assume that this would also be the case for my x and z then? x-4000 and z-4000 steps? I got mine in 2010/11, and I believe I do have the gusset brackets. Will check with your latest drawings. The unit was in storage for several years and starting it back up.

Once again thank you.
    Gerrald

Quote Originally Posted by gerraldpeters View Post
    Fineline,

Thank you for your reply. I did set it back to 4000 this morning and did a quick test. It is correct now. Thank you. Of course I am measuring with just a regular tape measure so not to accurate but ways closer then the 1/8". I assume that this would also be the case for my x and z then? x-4000 and z-4000 steps? I got mine in 2010/11, and I believe I do have the gusset brackets. Will check with your latest drawings. The unit was in storage for several years and starting it back up.

Once again thank you.
    Gerrald
    Gerrald,

They should all be 4000. Yours should have the gusset brackets on it. Also, check all the lead nuts and make sure the O-Rings are still intact. Those lead nuts and an older design and while not necessary you may want to upgrade to the new style leadnuts in the future.

Regards,

Nate

Let me know if you run into any more issues.

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nate,

Thank you.
    Looking at your site,(pictures) it looks like I have the new lead nuts already.

Gerrald

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All,

I think for now the problem is solved. Have done some bigger pieces of MDF and good so far> we will see when we get into fines work.

Thank you all
    Gerrald