Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Build Thread Saturn 2x4

I started this build thread in great anticipation. I visited Nathan at his facility on a recent vacation while i was in his area. Nathan graciously volunteered his time with me to go over the new Saturn 2x4. The first thing that stood out in my mind was how solid the machine is. The pictures do not do it justice. The profile linear rails are bigger than most machines out there on the market. A very solid machine and with proper care should last a long time. The welded frame is a very solid platform. No more "going out of square issues" . All the welds are full welds , no spot welds. The fit and finish is good also, no burrs or sharp edges. The carriages blocks are ball bearing and coupled with the linear rails there is very little resistance or friction at all. Less wear on motors and much smoother motion in all axis.

I should receive my router soon and the only thing it should need is a solid stand. Nathan gave me a few ideas on working with him on build a solid all welded stand.
    As i update the thread, and building the stand. I'd love to hear your ideas as well. There are many ways to build something but there are a few better ways to get the job done. The goal is to build a solid stand to complement this well built machine. FLA and myself may offer the stand to the customers after testing. A welded solid stand coupled with the Saturn will be an industrial machine for sure.

I really appreciated Nathans time and thank him for the visit. You have to see the machine to appreciate how heavy duty it really is. The Z axis is super and really deserves a spindle if you can afford it. I have looked at many cnc routers and built a few. I don't want to throw out any names of well known cnc router manufactures but the Saturn will preform with machines costing 10K or better. I am really excited to see the machine cutting chips soon !

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    I started this build thread in great anticipation. I visited Nathan at his facility on a recent vacation while i was in his area. Nathan graciously volunteered his time with me to go over the new Saturn 2x4. The first thing that stood out in my mind was how solid the machine is. The pictures do not do it justice. The profile linear rails are bigger than most machines out there on the market. A very solid machine and with proper care should last a long time. The welded frame is a very solid platform. No more "going out of square issues" . All the welds are full welds , no spot welds. The fit and finish is good also, no burrs or sharp edges. The carriages blocks are ball bearing and coupled with the linear rails there is very little resistance or friction at all. Less wear on motors and much smoother motion in all axis.

I should receive my router soon and the only thing it should need is a solid stand. Nathan gave me a few ideas on working with him on build a solid all welded stand.
    As i update the thread, and building the stand. I'd love to hear your ideas as well. There are many ways to build something but there are a few better ways to get the job done. The goal is to build a solid stand to complement this well built machine. FLA and myself may offer the stand to the customers after testing. A welded solid stand coupled with the Saturn will be an industrial machine for sure.

I really appreciated Nathans time and thank him for the visit. You have to see the machine to appreciate how heavy duty it really is. The Z axis is super and really deserves a spindle if you can afford it. I have looked at many cnc routers and built a few. I don't want to throw out any names of well known cnc router manufactures but the Saturn will perform with machines costing 10K or better. I am really excited to see the machine cutting chips soon !
    I can certainly attest to how stout and rigid the frame is - I don't get the impression that this will go out of square at all. What electronics and spindle/router will you use? Mine is a first CNC build so it's all new ground for me.
    David

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on putting nema 23's on the machine. I know somehow I might regret this later by not going with nema 34 motors but I already had a full plug and play electronics that are nema 23.
    I plan on getting a 4x4 machine later this fall that i will put nema 34's on. The 2x4 machine will make turkey calls. The spindle will be a 2.2kw air cooled 80 mm spindle. I am pretty strong mechanically but the spindle wiring i may get some help. Electric is not my strong point. I will have to research what cable to buy and such. The home sensors will be conductive proximity fusch. That will keep the gantry good and square.

Downloads
    Uploads

I plan on putting nema 23's on the machine. I know somehow I might regret this later by not going with nema 34 motors but I already had a full plug and play electronics that are nema 23.
    I plan on getting a 4x4 machine later this fall that i will put nema 34's on. The 2x4 machine will make turkey calls. The spindle will be a 2.2kw air cooled 80 mm spindle. I am pretty strong mechanically but the spindle wiring i may get some help. Electric is not my strong point. I will have to research what cable to buy and such. The home sensors will be conductive proximity fusch. That will keep the gantry good and square.
    I went with the NEMA 34 and 3kW water cooled spindle, 100mm, but I didn't already have a system to use. Ours is fully sourced by me and is being built from scratch so you'll probably be up and running before us even though we already have our CNC frame from Nate! LOL!

Inductive proximity by Fusch... those are high dollar, right? Why those? I haven't bought any yet so that's why I ask. Btw, I don't think that gantry can even get out of square because it's so stout!

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree on both points the Fusch sensors are high dollar and i hope to be up and running soon. The sensors are the most reliable and accurate sensors i know of. I do alot of fixturing and use fixture offsets alot. I use the sensors to home and goto my fixture offsets. I don't like the mechanical type sensors and I have always had good luck with these. I think you can get a full 3 axis set of Fusch sensors now for about $200. I agree the gantry is so stout it shouldn't get out of square as long as your motors are tuned and slaved together well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Newcarver,
    Have you got your machine up and running yet? Would love to see a video of it and get your opinion!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Newcarver,
    Have you got your machine up and running yet? Would love to see a video of it and get your opinion!
    No I should receive the machine Friday. I changed my mind and went to 3/8" shafts nema 23's. I am waiting on many "goodies" to arrive for the machine soon. A spindle and other odds and ends to complete the build. I will say i have to say I'm sorry to the forum for putting nema 23's on the machine. The machine really deserves better. I envy you Dave for those 34 motors ! I hope to keep a detailed log on the forum so you and everyone can see and learn what not to do I have been known to make a few mistakes. I will be running some tests with a normal router mounted and a spindle. I hope to do some projects also in different materials so all can see the cut quality and how rigidity helps cut finish.

It won't be long now, I'll be sure to post.

It's going out tomorrow. Got it crated and ready to go.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    It's going out tomorrow. Got it crated and ready to go.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Thanks Nate
    Sorry for changing it up on you in the middle of assembly going to 3/8" shafts. I was feeling guilty putting the smaller 1/4" motors on there. I am saving the nema 34's for the 4x4 this fall.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good nema23 motors will be fine for this machine. Bigger is not better when it comes to steppers.

The Saturn looks like a good machine. Big step up from previous FLA machines

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

FedEX called today. Delivery is scheduled for Monday ! It won't be long now.

Downloads
    Uploads

FedEX called today. Delivery is scheduled for Monday ! It won't be long now.
    They loaded ours with a fork lift onto the trailer and it was really nice they did that. When we got to the house we used two piano dollies, rolled it off the trailer and into the shop. Nobody had to lift anything!

You're going to take photos, right? Looking forward to seeing yours and how quickly you get it up and running.

David

David

Let me know how the experience is with FedEx. They have been really nice to work with so far.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Let me know how the experience is with FedEx. They have been really nice to work with so far.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    I will let you know. They called and been really good so far. I have a tough location for delivery because I live in the country narrow roads and driveway. I chose the lift gate delivery to my door. Fed Ex will bring a 30' truck straight axle and things may get tight turning around in the drive way. Plan B is to meet the truck with a roll back in an area with more room and have the roll back deliver it to the shop.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    They loaded ours with a fork lift onto the trailer and it was really nice they did that. When we got to the house we used two piano dollies, rolled it off the trailer and into the shop. Nobody had to lift anything!

You're going to take photos, right? Looking forward to seeing yours and how quickly you get it up and running.

David
    Yes, I will take photos. I hope to get up and running soon. I have some production work to get done so time will be money. I do plan on taking my time on the machine stand and put alot of effort into the base. I have built a few machines so far and this time i want to enjoy the build part and not have to fly through. I have a day job that will slow me down also

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I will take photos. I hope to get up and running soon. I have some production work to get done so time will be money. I do plan on taking my time on the machine stand and put alot of effort into the base. I have built a few machines so far and this time i want to enjoy the build part and not have to fly through. I have a day job that will slow me down also
    Day jobs are overrated... LOL!

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Day jobs are overrated... LOL!

Haha thats what i keep telling my wife. She reminds me if i didn't have expensive tool hobbies i could have retired by now. I was cleaning the shop today in 93 degree heat thinking i need a split ductless heat and AC system. I am not sure how to hide that purchase from the boss. The day job pays for the shop but one day the shop needs to break even. I am not sure if wood working is a viable business on my end. I know i have spent more than i ever made.

Downloads
    Uploads

Haha thats what i keep telling my wife. She reminds me if i didn't have expensive tool hobbies i could have retired by now. I was cleaning the shop today in 93 degree heat thinking i need a split ductless heat and AC system. I am not sure how to hide that purchase from the boss. The day job pays for the shop but one day the shop needs to break even. I am not sure if wood working is a viable business on my end. I know i have spent more than i ever made.
    We're in the process of doing that very thing, using woodworking to replace my income. I've been in Technology Sales - hardware, software, bandwidth, consulting, etc. - for a few different companies over the last 20+ years that all seem to pull out of the market after a few years leaving me to find another one to develop the territory for and then they cover it from another office. Well, in February of this year that happened again and we're tired of it so woodworking is coming back into the fold. I owned a woodworking business in the mid 80's to early 90's and it did ok, had 8 employees at one point (don't want to do that again!). I've been marketing specialty items and CNC work and have a fair amount lined up and waiting on me to get started. So once I get my machine running it I may not be stopping it for a while.

Our shop is small but well equipped and climate controlled - definitely get you a mini-split system. The temp control is good but the better benefit is the humidity control. The mini-split system actually made our house easier to cool/heat because it's our (now) very well insulated attached two car garage on the west side of the house. Now it's not an oven in the summer so the house AC doesn't have to work as hard to keep the adjacent rooms of the house cool and the door to the shop (garage) stays open into the house so both units help each other. Same thing in the winter for heat. Our system is a high SEER unit (22) and very energy efficient. It was installed October 2013 and stays on 24/7 and we haven't seen an increase in the electric bill at all from it. It's one of the best 'tools' we've every bought!

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received the machine around lunch today from Fed Ex. The delivery guy was great. My location wasn't ideal for a 30' truck with lift gate but the guy was super. The delivery guy even made sure he got the skid at least half way into the shop because it looked like a thunder storm was looming. There was no room for him to turn around and he went the extra mile. The skid came in at about 480 lbs according to Fed Ex. The lift gate did make things easier. The machine is a beast and moving it wasn't bad if you have a few things to make moving it around easier. If you don't have help an engine lift or hoist is a must and really works well with some slings. The profile rails are huge in comparison to other machines i have researched. A real solid build.

Here are a few pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-7-jpeg   Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-8-jpeg   Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-7-jpeg   Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-8-jpeg  

Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-9-jpeg   Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-10-jpeg   Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-10-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Neat! Glad you got it and it was dry. That looks a lot like one I've seen lately...

Nate saved you some time by putting in the plugs. Will you start putting all the pieces together today?

David

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast