Build Thread Saturn 2x4 - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Default Re: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    The one I'm using has an NLGI #3 rating. Do you think that's too thick, Nate?
    I don't think it will hurt. If you notice any sluggish movement you may want to switch.

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    I don't think it will hurt. If you notice any sluggish movement you may want to switch.
    With 637 oz. in. NEMA 34 motors I don't think thicker grease is going to slow it down! LOL! It plowed right through a proximity sensor like it wasn't even there.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up picking "Linear Lube" from a nearby company Thompson. I am going to give it a try.

LINEARLUBE - Linear Bearing, Grease, Linearlube (400 ... | Thomson

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    I ended up picking "Linear Lube" from a nearby company Thompson. I am going to give it a try.

LINEARLUBE - Linear Bearing, Grease, Linearlube (400 ... | Thomson
    That should be fine. The Thompson bearings are spec'd similar to the ones on the Saturn.

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

With 637 oz. in. NEMA 34 motors I don't think thicker grease is going to slow it down! LOL! It plowed right through a proximity sensor like it wasn't even there.
    Im no expert but i think the viscosity would be important or "thicker" grease will not travel as well to each bearing and keep them coated as well as the machine runs. At work the HAAS mill uses a thick liquid weighlube type lubricant. This topic i bet could almost be like politics or religion best judgement always prevails. To spec i would say is important.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The manufacturer recommends a grease with an NLGI #2 rating.

Alvania #2 (Shell) is a good choice. It is commonly used in linear guides with rolling element balls. The color is milky/yellowish white.

If you want a somewhat 'lighter' grease, Beacon 325 has less viscous drag. It is cream colored. It is rated as NLGI #2 but is a bit "runny". It's probably a NLGI 1-1.5 viscosity rating in practice.

Most #2 lithium greases will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shell Alvania is now Shell Gladus. They changed the name and i think it runs about $55 a tube.

Downloads
    Uploads

Im no expert but i think the viscosity would be important or "thicker" grease will not travel as well to each bearing and keep them coated as well as the machine runs. At work the HAAS mill uses a thick liquid weighlube type lubricant. This topic i bet could almost be like politics or religion best judgement always prevails. To spec i would say is important.
    You're probably right, Brian. But I had this on hand so I used it; I'll probably pick up some #2 grease soon.

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hooked up the dust collection system today and Porter Cable router motor. I kept the build simple but plan on a air cooled spindle this winter after i upgrade the shop for a 220v outlet. I am not sure I have the vacuum hose grounded well enough. I need to look more into that. I still need to surface the spoil board and indicate in the router motor yet in relationship to the spoil board.
    Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-29-jpeg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ran a quick G code test this evening to test everything and see if i could cut chips ! The machine is alive for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A short video of the profile cut out. I took it easy on the machine for the first few cuts. I'm going about 60 ipm on the feed rate. I will say from just the little bit i have done so far the machine is rigid and i can already tell my Porter Cable router will be the limiting factor of this machine. I have the rigidity but i won't have enough spindle power from the router motor if i really want to cut fast. At this point I am not wanting to cut 250 ipm. I will take it slow for some time to "break in" the machine. I can see 100 ipm or maybe even 150 ipm with this setup easily doing well.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks great to see it cutting!! I know you're ready to move on to real projects.

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks great to see it cutting!! I know you're ready to move on to real projects.
    Yes, I am. I have turkey calls to make. Thanks for all the emails and help back and forth trading thoughts and ideas. I am really happy with the build so far. We both had some small problems to solve but along the way I think we done ok. Again I admire your electronics knowledge. Learning more of that is on my bucket list for sure.

Nice machine!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Nice machine!!!
    Thanks,
    It was fun to see the machine come along and finally run .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You bet David, i would be happy to help with a steel stand if you decide later to do so. I enjoy welding almost as much as CNC routers so i get to enjoy both this time. I plan on taking my time and enjoying the build. I was going to join in over there on your build thread but when i saw all those electronics and wires sheesh ! I decided i couldn't add anything of value to the conversation so i read and learned. Electronics is way over my head. I still haven't figured out what dip switches i have to flip on my stepper drives when i upgraded from the 380 oz motors to the new 420 oz motors! When i get there i will have to ask you folks. When it comes to wiring electronics i feel like a dip switch
    the4th IbMOe
    I went with six across the members. I only did that because i had a jig that automatically centered and had the spacing. I actually used a cheap doweling jig i had laying around that centers and had good consistent spacing so it would be easier to line up holes and drill my spoil board. Here is a picture of a wood doweling jig i used on the cross members. I think 4 would be fine however. I just run a 1/4" transfer punch down the jig hole to start my mark and drill point. Nate, if your reading you can tell you stress relieved the frames after welding them all together when you drill alot of holes. Don't waste your time on cheap drill bits

The frames are stress relieved. Otherwise I couldn't hold the tolerances required. Glad you took notice.

For those reading, very soon the 4' x 4' and and 2' x 4' will have 1/4-20 tapped holes in the cross pieces for a table top. We are planning on providing them with a 3" spacing. It is a lot of holes, but that allows you to do an extrusion based table top should you choose and gives you a lot of options regarding hold down methods.
    After taking a break from the machine build because of a death in the family i figured i would give an update. I finally figured out a good method and cost effective way to start the steel stand build that would tame this beast of a machine. I was concerned when you get up to 300 ipm or so i would get machine movement with a stand that was not up to the task so i went all steel 3/16" thick and most of it welded, or welded and bolted. In any event the stand is now underway. I was waiting on some brackets to come back from powder coat. The brackets will hold all four 2" square steel posts to start the build. I already made a mistake that i have to do a slight bracket mod that will ruin the powder coat finish but pretty is no good if it isn't functional. That's why they sell black touch up paint I may start a separate thread for the stand build to get feedback from you guys. I hope to get the stand done this weekend if all goes well and i don't burn down the woodshop welding inside.

Attachment 332914

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

How do you think Royal Purple NLGI #2 would do on these bearings? It has a well respected history in racing and I know firsthand it's a good grease, and it is NLGI #2, about $10 on Amazon.

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you think Royal Purple NLGI #2 would do on these bearings? It has a well respected history in racing and I know firsthand it's a good grease, and it is NLGI #2, about $10 on Amazon.
    I believe it will work. The NLGI # 2 rating is probably the most important thing when considering the linear bearing grease. Viscosity and the ability to spread throught the bearing housing is the important thing. I spoke to several vendors from HAAS, THK, and Lubriplate about this subject. I don't work for any of them nor do i endorse a specific product. You can spend alot of money on a tube of grease and not improve lubrication of the bearing over say a $20 dollar tube of grease vs a $70 tube of grease. I spoke to THK Linear and they have a direct replacement linear bearing for the Saturn if the need ever arises. They recommended to me "Linear Lube". It's higher than $10 a tube , i think i paid $20 plus some shipping but it goes a long way. You can use it on the ball screw Z axis also.

Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-30-jpeg

I believe it will work. The NLGI # 2 rating is probably the most important thing when considering the linear bearing grease. Viscosity and the ability to spread throught the bearing housing is the important thing. I spoke to several vendors from HAAS, THK, and Lubriplate about this subject. I don't work for any of them nor do i endorse a specific product. You can spend alot of money on a tube of grease and not improve lubrication of the bearing over say a $20 dollar tube of grease vs a $70 tube of grease. I spoke to THK Linear and they have a direct replacement linear bearing for the Saturn if the need ever arises. They recommended to me "Linear Lube". It's higher than $10 a tube , i think i paid $20 plus some shipping but it goes a long way. You can use it on the ball screw Z axis also.

Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-30-jpeg
    Agree with your statements on the grease. Also, if you ever need a replacement carriage, we can get one out right away.

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Agree with your statements on the grease. Also, if you ever need a replacement carriage, we can get one out right away.
    Thanks, Nate knowing we can get spare wear parts from you if we ever break down is a good thing to know especially if you are using the machine as your day job.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Nate knowing we can get spare wear parts from you if we ever break down is a good thing to know especially if you are using the machine as your day job.
    Ditto!! I wonder what the MTBF on the bearings are or if that is known?

David

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast