Build Thread Saturn 2x4 - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build Thread Saturn 2x4

Those definitely look stout, Brian! I have a feeling your metal stand may be just a bit stiffer than my wooden stand so if mine becomes an issue I may order one from you.

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Those definitely look stout, Brian! I have a feeling your metal stand may be just a bit stiffer than my wooden stand so if mine becomes an issue I may order one from you.
    You bet David, i would be happy to help with a steel stand if you decide later to do so. I enjoy welding almost as much as CNC routers so i get to enjoy both this time. I plan on taking my time and enjoying the build. I was going to join in over there on your build thread but when i saw all those electronics and wires sheesh ! I decided i couldn't add anything of value to the conversation so i read and learned. Electronics is way over my head. I still haven't figured out what dip switches i have to flip on my stepper drives when i upgraded from the 380 oz motors to the new 420 oz motors! When i get there i will have to ask you folks. When it comes to wiring electronics i feel like a dip switch

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    When it comes to wiring electronics i feel like a dip switch
    Now that's funny!! LOL!

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian,

Have you made any sawdust yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Brian,

Have you made any sawdust yet?
    No ! not yet and it's totally my fault. I recently been tied down making game calls. Our company got a huge break and we were chosen for an upcomming hunting show so i had to take a week to make calls for some pro staff for the show. I also had my metal saw burn up so i am waiting on the new one so i can finish the stand. if it were my stand i would be done by now, but i have made it so i can ship it in case someone wanted one for their machine. This took me alil more thinking and starting over. It's a challenge to make an all metal stand that you can afford yet can be shipped without breaking the bank. I will be cutting chips with the new machine by Oct 3 rd.That is my drop dead date or i will be in big production trouble with game calls. If you want to see what Nate's machines can do just look up
    Foggymountaingamecalls.com. I'll be cutting chips soon, I just need 3 of me right now.

Brian,

Those game call pictures you sent were great. Can't wait to see what you do on the machine.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally finished welding up the machine stand, so now i can wrap it in plywood and add the bottom shelf. I hope to get enough time tonight to start mounting motors and wiring.
    The rest of the machine should be all down hill now ! The heavy work is done. I didn't wire my own electronics like David so that saved me alot of time. I have to hand it to you guys who know electronics that well. That stuff is way over my head You guys over there on David's thread I hope i don't ask too many dumb questions for help when it comes to electronics.
    I posted the stand on it's own thread to get different ideas and methods. Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-15-jpeg

Downloads
    Uploads

Back atcha' - I probably can't build that stand! LOL! I look forward to seeing it running and producing for you.

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great! I am like David, I can't weld (well maybe with electrical wires), but I can do the electronics part. Anxious to see these things run.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    Looks great! I am like David, I can't weld (well maybe with electrical wires), but I can do the electronics part. Anxious to see these things run.

Dave
    I am with you on that Dave, I can't wait to see it run either. I have to say I personally have to resist the urge to hurry through to get it running. This is my third machine build, this machine i don't consider a build really because it comes pretty much assembled. You learn along the way what you like and didn't like from building them. You really only get one shot to get most things right from the get go without costing money or more time and aggravation down the road to fix it later. I am excited to get running but taking my time and enjoying the process. It's not a race but a marathon is the way i look at it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't look like i got much done today but I did get alot of loose ends tied up and details. I finished painting today and started to enclose in the machine frame. I plan on mounting the control box on the RH corner on the side of the machine. I learned from my last machine i put the box on the front corner and I kept hitting the control box with my knee or legs. I work in the front of the machine alot and I just found it was always in my way sliding from side to side of the machine working. I mounted the motors and ran into a few issues that i was able to resolve easily. A man can never have enough spare bolts I always say. I would have been done enclosing in the machine frame but my dear wife bought oil based paint and it's been drying now for 8 hours and is still tacky. I do appreciate her running the lowes trip for me while i worked in the shop.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-16-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a good looking stand, Brian! I see you drilled new holes and relocated your Y axis sensors, too.

I wanted to locate my electrical enclosure on the right hand side for the same reason you mention but I just don't have room. Mine has to go in front where I know I'm gonna hit it and bump into it but no choice.

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a good looking stand, Brian! I see you drilled new holes and relocated your Y axis sensors, too.

I wanted to locate my electrical enclosure on the right hand side for the same reason you mention but I just don't have room. Mine has to go in front where I know I'm gonna hit it and bump into it but no choice.
    Thats a bummer David, sometimes you have to because you are out of room. My shop is pretty much out of room also. One time i was almost done a 7 hour carve and I had the enclosure on the front. I was checking the spindle to see how hot it was and I bumped the E stop button on the enclosure. I also didn't have home sensors at the time so i could pick up where i left off. In any event the carve was pretty much ruined. It was one of those major events that really stuck with me so now i make sure i have accurate home switches to pick up fixtures and such and the enclosure is away from the front if i can of course.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I worked alil more on the stand today and got the electrical enclosure mounted. It is starting to look like a cnc router now I need to work on wire management this evening and tomorrow running motor cables and such but its coming along slow but sure.

Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-17-jpeg
    Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-18-jpegBuild Thread Saturn 2x4-image-20-jpeg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks real good! Both you and David are doing a great job of building and documenting your builds. Won't be long before you are both making chips and that will be the real test. Keep the posts coming!!

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dave and David, the process is fun and I'm always learning from someone or someplace. I put in a late night here and pushing forward to wrap this machine up and see some movement. The anticipation is killing me now to see the machine move. I finished wiring the motors and some testing. I took care to try and do my best on cable management and make things neat and tidy. I did take some chances on some of the motor rotation and i can still test that later. I am running on alil luck here. The problem with going with plug and play electronics is you always end up with miles of extra cable to wind up. When you do what David done you can make each cable just the just right length and make things neater. Here are some pictures.

Build Thread Saturn 2x4-image-21-jpegBuild Thread Saturn 2x4-image-22-jpegBuild Thread Saturn 2x4-image-23-jpegBuild Thread Saturn 2x4-image-25-jpegBuild Thread Saturn 2x4-image-26-jpeg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I upgraded to nema 23 480 oz motors for this machine. I had 380 oz on the old machine. I need to flip some dip switches and here is the part where i start to fall apart. Does anyone know what dip switch i need to flip to get some more juice through my drives to support the new 480 oz drives ? The drives are Leadshine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Thread Saturn 2x4-img_20161009_203510-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's really looking good, Brian, and you're probably going to be cutting before I finish.

Question: did you line the edge of the hole with rubber or something soft where you cut to drop the cables down to the electrical enclosure? I can't tell from the photo. I realize the cable may not move right there but something like this as a precaution to keep from wearing through the cable jacket?
    Build Thread Saturn 2x4-cable-tray-guard-jpg

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by newcarver View Post
    I upgraded to nema 23 480 oz motors for this machine. I had 380 oz on the old machine. I need to flip some dip switches and here is the part where i start to fall apart. Does anyone know what dip switch i need to flip to get some more juice through my drives to support the new 480 oz drives ? The drives are Leadshine

What's the amperage on the motors and do you have the model number of the driver (or the tables off the side of the driver)?

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's really looking good, Brian, and you're probably going to be cutting before I finish.

Question: did you line the edge of the hole with rubber or something soft where you cut to drop the cables down to the electrical enclosure? I can't tell from the photo. I realize the cable may not move right there but something like this as a precaution to keep from wearing through the cable jacket?
    Build Thread Saturn 2x4-cable-tray-guard-jpg
    I temporarily put a piece of stick on weather strip under the wires for now. I ordered a 2.25 inch rubber grommet from McMaster Carr to completely cover the sharp hole edges.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast