X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?

Thread: X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?

Hey Guys,

So. I built my FLA100 some years ago as a newbie. Basically ordered extruded aluminium and steel rail and milled it myself. Learned alot about machining and how the router works and i was hooked.

But, given my lack of experience during the build, I'm starting to see some of my errors. Well, I've seen them, now I'm just agitated and looking to do something about them.

The X has always given me issues. Dust gets caught in it despite having a dust collector. Even put up dust shields on the sides which worked great..until i ran the router right into it and cracked one lol. If i ever scrap a part, its always due to something in the X and finally I've had enough and want to improve on it.

Today, i noticed when i homed my x, the gantry wasnt perfectly parallel. I was still getting perfect 90 degree cuts between the X and Y, but, when i would home the X, the left side would mate up against the back leg. The right had about a half inch to go!

After disconnecting the leadscrew and readjusting the bearing block, i noticed that my right X steel rail apparently isnt flush against the aluminum. I could literally grab the entire gantry and sway it diagonally! Not good! If i slid it up and down the rails, the side bearings wouldnt always touch the rail.

Pulled the X rail out in question, after using a car jack to support the gantry...and wouldnt you know, the darn milling machine i made this on, wasnt trammed! Hey i was a newb when i drilled it.

So when i tighten my bearing blocks all the way, obviously, the gantry gets jammed as it moved down the rails. Makes sense. To remedy this, I widened the bolt holes on my drill press, and using a 123 block and a clamp, i flushed the rail against the aluminium extrude.

And yet my gantry problems on perfect squareness still persist. Well, means i should disassemble and reassemble. Darn. My fault.

Im contemplating ordering some precision machined steel rails from Nate at FLA. But, part of me, is curious, given my X axis woes in general with dust..has anybody replaced or built the X with linear rails and blocks? I assume I'd need 4, 2 on each side of the table. Or 1 on each side on top of the table along the sides?

I know those have to stay clean as well, but, these bearing blocks have always been finicky for me on the X. Good chance its my fault lol. Actually the Z as well. Y i have zero complaints.

Anyone have any insight?

Thankfully i mostly carve art/signs, but, i have been getting more and more guitar bodies and now necks/fingerboards, where accuracy is a MUST.

I'll probably realign her tomorrow and see what kind of results i get.

Thanks in advance guys.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?

Can you post some pictures of the Axis in question? Also, do you use the 2 hole gussets on the extended carriages on that axes? We had a few problems keeping the gantry square early on without them.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Just following up. I haven't heard anything about this. When you get a chance, some pictures would really help.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nate

Sorry! Didn't see a reply in my inbox!

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow

I am using the extended carriages. 2 hole gussets? you mean the 2 holes that connect the carriages to the crossmember under the machine?

EDIT: I squared it up the best i could, but, near the rear of the machine i can still jiggle the gantry diagonally! But if i move a few inches forward, i do not have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin1007 View Post
    Hey Nate

Sorry! Didn't see a reply in my inbox!

I'll get you some pictures tomorrow

I am using the extended carriages. 2 hole gussets? you mean the 2 holes that connect the carriages to the crossmember under the machine?

EDIT: I squared it up the best i could, but, near the rear of the machine i can still jiggle the gantry diagonally! But if i move a few inches forward, i do not have the issue.
    About a year and a half after we introduced the kit we made a change to add an addition pair of 2 hole gussets that kept the frame aligned with the carriage. It was to specifically combat diagonal wiggle similar to what you experiencing. I have attached some screen shots of the latest CAD drawings so you can see what and where I am talking about.

Also, when you move to the rear of the machine, are the bearings still touching the rail?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?-2__x_3__cnc_router_-_fine_line_automation-png   X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?-fla120-00_pdf__page_1_of_2_-jpg  
    Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Zepplin, I have had similar issues with dust getting between the cold rolled rails and the skate bearings. I have changed all axis to IKO rails and I have been very happy with the results. There is quite a lot of modification if one wants to use profile rail but the work certainly pays off. The X axis is the easiest axis to modify and the Y and Z axis need some extra parts since they attach to each other.

Making chips, day by day

Downloads
    Uploads

X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?-img_4796-jpg
    X axis Woes - Anybody converted to Linear Rails?-img_4795-jpg

Nate,

This is what i've got. Yup, i dont have all that going on but i probably should!

KreigKuts,

Got any pics? and rough cost? and what needs to be done? I don't mean to undermine Nate's design here by any means. Shes been a solid machine and I'm betting some of my issues were due to lack of experience due to the machining process. But, dust in the X has been the cause of probably 90% of failed parts. With the other 10% being my own stupidity lol.

Id be interested in possibly converting the X and maybe Z, though i may just buy a precision machined Z rail from Nate.

If you want to keep the rail system, I would get those brackets first and see how they work for you.

Once you get the system running, I recommend a dust shoe. It will drastically help with the dust.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nate,

I do have a collector just not a decent shoe.

Let me pick your brain for a second, have you found any particular bellows that would be the proper profile of your X? I know they have them for linear rails of a particular profile

I also did see a youtube user make rails double the width, and used carriages on the inside and both outside.

Thanks again guys!

I haven't looked for bellows for the X axis. You best bet is probably going to be finding a company from aliexpress to make one for you because the US makers tend to be expensive. Instead of a bellows, you could just mount a piece of wood or plastic over the edge extending almost to the gantry side. Should keep the larger dust and chips off the rails.

If you are going to use a dual carriage rail on the system I suggest mounting the 4" rail on the side of the machine and attaching the carriages to the 1545 side pieces via a plate.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

haha, aliexpress is where i spotted some. Cool.

Yeah i was thinking of extending the table over the rails, didnt know if anyone had done that with any success. Right now i have "shields' up vertically..which work fine...until the motor gets close and smacks into em.

Thanks nate!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey nathan,

Designing everything now. Have some nice 20mm rails.

Noticed in your Solidworks model, i could actually get almost another 1.5" on the X Travel if i add 2" of rail to each side. However, i suspect this would make the machine flip over if i were to run the gantry that far towards the stepper motor. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin1007 View Post
    Hey nathan,

Designing everything now. Have some nice 20mm rails.

Noticed in your Solidworks model, i could actually get almost another 1.5" on the X Travel if i add 2" of rail to each side. However, i suspect this would make the machine flip over if i were to run the gantry that far towards the stepper motor. Is this correct?
    You could run the rail out that far. I don't think it would be an issue. What I would do to mitigate any potential tipping issue is use a mounting bracket on each leg to secure the machine onto the stand.

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you ever complete this? I am thinking of doing something similar and would love to see how you did it.

thanks!

Robert