2nd Build (first) - Saturn CNC 2'x4' - Page 18

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: 2nd Build (first) - Saturn CNC 2'x4'

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2nd Build (first) - Saturn CNC 2'x4'

This isn't really a part of the build (which is basically complete) but it also wasn't worth starting a new thread.

I needed a drying rack with rectangular holes to hold some parts after I spray them and it was an ideal time to try out the full length of the CNC machine. This was a very simple project but since it was the first time to use the extent of the machine's length I shot a short video. Enjoy!

David
    Romans 3:23
    CurlyWoodShop - www.etsy.com/shop/CurlyWoodShop
    David Falkner - www.youtube.com/user/difalkner
    difalkner - www.instagram.com/difalkner

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a bit but for others looking, I bought one of these for a DIY dust shoe I had on a router a few years ago. I got mine at a local big box home improvement store for about $10. They are door sweeps and usually come in various lengths and you can get different height/length brushes. I've seen both aluminum which bends to the shoe shape or rubber. Mine worked well.
    Hager 806S Door Bottom Sweeps - Doorhardware Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

This doesn't have anything to do with the build but I thought y'all might want to see this little project -

This is the making of an end grain Walnut cutting board shaped like a B-52 Tail. Since we have the highest concentration of operational B-52's anywhere in the world here at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. I thought it was only fitting that I make a cutting board in this shape. Enjoy!

This is the end product with video below -
    2nd Build (first) - Saturn CNC 2'x4'-015-finished-b-52-tail-cutting-board

Last edited by difalkner; 11-10-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Updating photos
    David

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    This doesn't have anything to do with the build but I thought y'all might want to see this little project -

This is the making of an end grain Walnut cutting board shaped like a B-52 Tail. Since we have the highest concentration of operational B-52's anywhere in the world here at Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, LA. I thought it was only fitting that I make a cutting board in this shape. Enjoy!

This is the end product with video below -
    2nd Build (first) - Saturn CNC 2'x4'-015-finished-b-52-tail-cutting-board

That's awesome work! Good job David.

Last edited by difalkner; 11-10-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Updating photos
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Nate!!

David

Downloads
    Uploads

This isn't much of a task but it needed to be done and today was a good day for me to do this, so I shot a video to post as well. The grid is a simple light cut into the spoilboard and is 1" spacing up to 12" and 3" spacing after that. I also cut some reference marks to help with placement of the work piece on the spoilboard.

David

Downloads
    Uploads

David,

I've really enjoyed reading your build log, and I've learned alot from you and several others on this site. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2x4 machine from FLA. I have picked out most of the hardware and software, but I'm still figuring out a few things. I had a couple of quick questions for you:

1) How is the wooden frame working out? Is it stable enough, or is the machine shaking when it changes directions? I'm trying to decide between wood and aluminum extrusion. Probably cheaper to go with wood, and add in a bunch of bracing.

2) I know you ordered your electronics enclosure from Amazon, but can you point me to which one?

Thanks,
    Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DDgitfiddle View Post
    David,

I've really enjoyed reading your build log, and I've learned alot from you and several others on this site. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2x4 machine from FLA. I have picked out most of the hardware and software, but I'm still figuring out a few things. I had a couple of quick questions for you:

1) How is the wooden frame working out? Is it stable enough, or is the machine shaking when it changes directions? I'm trying to decide between wood and aluminum extrusion. Probably cheaper to go with wood, and add in a bunch of bracing.

2) I know you ordered your electronics enclosure from Amazon, but can you point me to which one?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Thanks, Robert! It was definitely a fun build and I enjoyed documenting it here.

1) The stand is very stable in the X direction and moves a very small amount in the Y direction with sudden changes or if the gantry is moving very fast and changes direction. But to me it is a 'healthy' movement much like an airplane wing moves up and down with the wind (a B-52 wing moves 8 feet at the tip!!). Nothing has worked itself loose and nothing has broken. I've done some engraving where I upped the feed a fair amount and the movement is noticeable but again, nothing seems like it's in danger of breaking or giving away. The important thing is that the CNC frame is very stiff and stays in relationship with itself so nothing appears to flex or give. I could probably add a couple more diagonal braces but the slight movement doesn't bother me so I'll leave it like it is.

2) I ordered this one - YuCo 16x16x8 - but they sent a YuCo 20x24x8 by mistake. I talked to Amazon and told them this would work out better for me due to the increased size. They told me to just keep it for the same money (Amazon is great to work with!). In retrospect there's no way I could have gotten everything in a 16x16x8 box.

Hope this helps!
    David

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, David! I'm planning to use the ClearPath motors (similar to WhiteWolf), so my enclosure might not need to be as large, but I still need to lay that out before I buy. Still working though my safety circuit and deciding whether to use DIN rail terminal blocks or something similar to what you did.

-Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

As of tonight, 11/10/17, all photos have been updated with the nagging Photobucket 'ransom' notice completely gone. Please go through and see if I missed anything. All I have done is replace the photos by uploading them to the server here at CNC Zone so they should be good from now on (nothing else was edited).

Thanks!
    David

David

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718