New 2' x 4' cnc router kit

Thread: New 2' x 4' cnc router kit

Default New 2' x 4' cnc router kit

We finally have PDF plans for our new 2' x 4' CNC Router. The actual working area is 28" x 52". The plans are for the NEMA 23 version of the kit. If you want to build the NEMA 34 version of the kit, all of the aspects of the design are the same except for the motor shaft coupler, the motor mount plate, and the rack and pinion drives. If you have any questions or issues with the plans, please contact us or leave a comment below so we can correct them.

You can download the plans by going to the 2x4 product page (Fine Line Automation: 2' x 4' CNC Router) and clicking on the Plans tab.

We also got some specs on there and some more information as to features. An FAQ is coming soon as well as Solidworks and EASM

Going to be throwing up some videos of the machine running shortly.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation

Similar Threads:
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 2' x 4' cnc router kit

Hi Nate,
    Looks interesting!
    What's the details on the Rack and Pinion you use? Is it belt or direct drive?
    thanks,

We now have SolidWorks and EASM drawings up for this kit on the same page as the PDF. The SolidWorks models require 2013 or later.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Quote Originally Posted by raintalk View Post
    Hi Nate,
    Looks interesting!
    What's the details on the Rack and Pinion you use? Is it belt or direct drive?
    thanks,
    We use the CRP rack and pinion drives on the kit. They are the standard drives with the EZ Tensioning system add on. It's belt drive with a single timing belt.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome!

Downloads
    Uploads

There no plans tab.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see the plans tab here: 2''' x 4''' CNC Router - Fine Line Automation

I've been digging through these and there is some really fine engineering going on here.

More details here.

Fine Line Automation

Awesome

Does the Y" Axis overhand the front enough to mill ends of some boards, or add a rotary axis?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a question here, wouldn't it be stiffer to use these instead of the brackets where the gantry meets the z-axis trucks?

New 2' x 4' cnc router kit-uploadfromtaptalk1396211281460-jpg

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I meant x-axis trucks...

Quote Originally Posted by raintalk View Post
    I see the plans tab here: 2''' x 4''' CNC Router - Fine Line Automation

I've been digging through these and there is some really fine engineering going on here.

More details here.

Fine Line Automation

Awesome

Does the Y" Axis overhand the front enough to mill ends of some boards, or add a rotary axis?
    Yes, the Y axis does overhang enough to mill boards or mount a rotary axis. That was entirely intentional. You can also just overhand the spoil board as well to get additional cutting area. The Y-Axis has 52" of cutting space.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked31 View Post
    Just a question here, wouldn't it be stiffer to use these instead of the brackets where the gantry meets the z-axis trucks?

New 2' x 4' cnc router kit-uploadfromtaptalk1396211281460-jpg

Yes, the gussets would be stiffer. We had a lot of the brackets already in stock in the shop and that's what we chose to use. In practice, either bracket is stiff enough for the application.

Note that we ware making a change at least for the new 4'x8' kits to this section and will probably introduce it as well to the 2'x4' design. That change is moving a beefed up 3060 gantry beam to the back of the interface plate and us3 both a bracket and a 45 degree support piece to support it. I think that's the ultimate direction we want to head but for now we feel the existing configuration is sufficient.

I'll have more details and pics of the new approach here shortly.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your machine is very similar to mine, I'm using 80/20 pieces 5 inches long for the x-axis legs instead of the metal brackets, and mine also uses the riser adapters in the same manner as yours, except that my y-axis beam is moved to the back of the plates to better center the router bit on the carriages like what you are talking about. My question is do you think that I would benefit from changing to 3060 sized beam instead of the 3030 I am currently using... My y-axis beam is 44 inches long, uses the 4" crs rail and is acme driven.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked31 View Post
    Your machine is very similar to mine, I'm using 80/20 pieces 5 inches long for the x-axis legs instead of the metal brackets, and mine also uses the riser adapters in the same manner as yours, except that my y-axis beam is moved to the back of the plates to better center the router bit on the carriages like what you are talking about. My question is do you think that I would benefit from changing to 3060 sized beam instead of the 3030 I am currently using... My y-axis beam is 44 inches long, uses the 4" crs rail and is acme driven.

At 44" it's not super critical. Our 4' gantries are 72" and subject to more flex and chatter. I think you are fine, especially if you do only softer materials like wood and plastic. The main issue we're trying to solve with the 3060 beam is chatter/vibrations when cutting tougher materials like aluminum with the router.

If you are experiencing vibration issues, instead of switching to a larger beam, I might try filling the cavity with expanding foam first.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked31
    Thanks man, I appreciate the advice.
    How did you make out? Did you decide to upgrade?

Fine Line Automation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not yet, but when I upgrade to the high Z plate, I will I built mine way back when the 2x3 was all the rage. Mine doesn't have all those fancy dancy parts like y'all have now!

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a question for you, Nate.
    How is the racking on such a design? I have been told ( by Mactec54) that there can never be zero racking with a single screw. I know my router doesn't show any racking and just wondering how good yours is. Nice looking design, BTW.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I have a question for you, Nate.
    How is the racking on such a design? I have been told ( by Mactec54) that there can never be zero racking with a single screw. I know my router doesn't show any racking and just wondering how good yours is. Nice looking design, BTW.
    Well, the new 2x4, 4x4, and 4x8's are all using dual R&P. With that setup and the way the plates interface with the motion carriages, we haven't seen any issues. The only way I could even register racking on my indicators was to drive one side in the opposite direction of the other, and even then I only registered 2 degrees

On the 2x3, I did notice a correlation between racking and the distance of the carriages from the center screw. Early on, we determined the gantry would rack upwards of 3 degrees depending on where the cutter was. We needed to put an extra gusset bracket going from the extended carriage to the gantry to take that racking out. We ended up reduce it to under .1 degrees with that simple change.

But even with that change, given a heavy cutting load completely on one side of the gantry I have no doubt the will experience some sort of racking, just due to the leverage involved. I am also certain that if the point where the linear bearings meet the is reinforced enough it will minimize the potential for racking. That's what we tried to do with the interface plates in the latest designs.

I think distance from drive mechanism to carriage is the critical number. Anything closer than 5-10" and you should be able to get to zero racking. This is one reason why dual drive works incredibly well.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation

Fine Line Automation

Downloads
    Uploads

I think about the same. On a small machine, it is easy to overcome racking, especially if you use longer trucks. Take another step further and put a preload on the gantry sides with built in adjustment and then you can also square up the gantry easily and keep it that way. I would think a gantry 30" or less to be considered small. I think that is what mine is or there about. Been a while since I built it.
    Anyway, I was trying to look at your drawings and design and I seem unable to open them.
    I do use the latest Turbocad so can open a lot of file types, but the two you offer aren't in there.
    Can you supply DXF.
    I am considering building a new router mostly to update all the electronics, but also to update the design and eliminate my PC 690 and go for a water cooled spindle. Overall upgrade really.
    I love the stuff I got from CNC router parts for my plasma. Nice clean and simple even when I need to work on it.
    I would probably Ebay everything on my old router. Looking at the 2 by 4 model.
    Thanks, Nate.

Lee