best router spindel

Thread: best router spindel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question best router spindel

I have been using a Hitachi 2hp router on my z. I cut a lot of aluminum. I have ruined several of them “usually bearings”. Should I give up on a router and go to spindle design? Please give suggestions.
    Thanks Ed

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds to me you will need a lot of power.
    A Colombo might be your ticket.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dad recently upgraded from a 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable to an HSD spindle on his shopbot. The difference is night and day. Its a lot quieter and seems to have plenty of power. He only cuts wood, no aluminum but its definitely a step up. I would make sure to get one meant for fairly heavy cuts as the initial investment is $3-4k. You don't want to be replacing bearings in one of these, it will get pricey quick!

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pro spindles are a cut above routers

which were designed for intermittent use by hand. They tend to be quieter, more powerful, and longer-lasting. They are also usually based on 3-phase motors, which require Variable Frequency Drives to operate. You can get VFDs that run on single phase power, and they allow you to vary the speed of the motors by varying the frequency of the power they are fed. I've been really happy with Perske router-spindles, but Colombo is another well-respected brand. Either one will cost a lot more than a hand router, though - I could have purchased half a dozen for what it cost to buy the Perske and the Teco VFD that runs it.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the hitachi router in my small machine and it works great there cutting wood. On my large router I used to have the 3.5 HP PC router and it is pathetically underpowered during low RPMs. To replace the PC router I just bought one of the cheap chinese spindles on ebay with a cheap VFD. $370(spindle) $250 (VFD) $50 for a pump, tubes and cables. I have yet to put it all together but from the money I have put into he project so far I don't think I can loose! You can have a real 3hp spindle setup for around $700! That is just 2 PC routers!

Downloads
    Uploads

could you kindly point ME in the direction of some Columbus routers mountable to an XYZ gantry

thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: best router spindel

I have gotten all 3 of my spindles (2 C73 and a C 78) and they have been great units for years. Fan cooled VFD spindles so you don't have to deal with water cooling like on the china ones. Perhaps a bit hither in cost then some but great service. They sell them as a combo with a VFD but if you are knoledgiable you can combine with one from Automation direct or elsewhere that will be a little less then they charge. On my C78 I have a siemens VFD since at the time I needed one that could run the c78 from single phase and automation direct didn't go above 3hp I think.

Many choices out there

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: best router spindel

Been in a similar situation some years ago, had to replace my spindle on my Syil X6 and it proved difficult to deal with that company. As I needed the machine urgently I decided to try to use an 80mm diameter water cooled spindle from China. The original spindle is 80mm too so I thought it would be a good and quick solution till I get the real thing replaced
    My mill cuts around 200 liters of alu chips per week and the water cooled spindle from China lasted a few months. Not bad I thought for the little bit of money invested. The finish quality was ok but not special.

In the meantime I learned that China makes very different quality levels of water cooled spindles. And I found a 2.2kw unit designed especially for milling metal with a top speed of 12000rpm. As it was an 80mm diameter unit I took the risk and ordered one. I was very surprised when it arrived, this unit looked just like a standard 80mm dia 2.2kw spindle from China but it obviously was not. It was about twice the weight and beautifully made. It did cost $ 1000 plus shipping.
    I do now have a replacement of my original Syil spindle. But the water cooled spindle works much better. It now works since 3 years every day, I am very happy. It has a lot more power than the original spindle. It provides a better finish.
    If you are interested send me a mail and I will hook you up with the supplier. I have bought several of these spindles and I also bought water cooled tool change spindles. Yes, they cost a lot more than the standard spindles but in regards to price-performance these spindles are fantastic.