Need Help! Confused as all hell! Noob trying to upgrade system

Thread: Confused as all hell! Noob trying to upgrade system

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Confused as all hell! Noob trying to upgrade system

Hey guys,
    So I bought a 3040CNC Router on eBay a while back and have been having a blast with it, I'm up and running and making parts and what not. But..... as with everything.... I want more! haha. I've decided to upgrade the spindle motor (original one was weak at 200W/8000RPM). The eBay auction came with a controller and a turnable knob to control the rpms. The spindle I'm looking at is:

110V ER11 1.5kW Water Cooled Spindle (24k RPM, I realize it's water cooled and have that taken care of)

Listing of CNC Router I purchased a while back: 3040CNC Router with Controller

The question I have is, what all do I need to make this work with my current setup? Is it just plug and play or is there additional stuff I need to buy? I'm HORRIBLE with electronics and understanding if something is compatible or not. I've poured over the forum with the search function but again, I just don't understand electronics very well!

Please, please could someone help me?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Confused as all hell! Noob trying to upgrade system

You need a VFD to power and control that spindle.
    110V Variable Frequency Drive Inverter VFD 1 5KW 2HP 13A | eBay

If you want to control the rpm from within Mach3, you'll need additional hardware.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't necessarily want to control from Mach 3 for now, controlling the spindle/rpms from the controller for me is good as it makes me double check myself before I cut each time. So no way around buying that VFD? I guess an upgrade means an upgrade in money too!

I guess I wish I would have just ponied up the extra cash for a bigger/better machine to begin with but that's the typical mistake for all hobbists I assume!

So - If i buy that spindle w/ the VFD, that means I have a controller for the CNC router to turn on, then I'll have to turn on the separate VFD (and input RPMs), turn on the cooling system and then start the cutting in Mach3? Sorry, I just need black and white as I'm not electronically skilled! Really, thanks again for the help!

pm sent