Cleaning encoders? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning encoders?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cleaning encoders?

I'm surprised that even works with all the dust on that encoder wheel.

I would take those two allen head bolts off and clean that motor case better, then put a sealed enclosure over the entire thing to keep moisture out.

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Downloads
    Uploads

You should have seen it before the cleaning I will blow off the dust with compressed air before I fit the housing again. I can’t get to the two Allen head boots. Seems like I would have to remove the electronics to do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Earth fault on the motor is now fine but the encoder still looks busted This is the same message that I got before I started.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning encoders?-89eb8bea-8f55-4473-9b55-fae0ed0a3e30-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It is not only the encoder disc itself that requires cleaning, but the reading head also which has a grating on it similar in pitch to the wheel.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that the flat thing against the disc or the diode on top? I cleaned the disc with alcohol and paper before installing and the same with that diode but maybe that was the wrong part. Is there any reset that has to be done maybe? The error is soft-disconnect of the motor according to what I can find out so something is wrong with it. But the whole unit was soaked in water.

Downloads
    Uploads

The reading head is usually a very thin film mounted to the underside one side of the small printed CCT board soldered to the bottom of the row of pins.
    They vary slightly with model #.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

There was a lot of rust on the disc/in between that part. If that is sensitive that must be broken these things didn’t come cheap either

Downloads
    Uploads

Gave up on the servo in the end and ordered a used one off ebay. Anyone know if I can damage the encoder by using Zerust capsules inside the encoder cover? I'm thinking to fit that to prevent corrosion for later. The datasheet says its fine for circuit boards and sensitive electronics..

https://www.zerust.com/wp-content/up...info_RevH2.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is a desiccant like Silica-gel based, it should be OK.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it is. From what I can read about it I think it release some sort of gas that protects metals from oxidation. I know we used it a lot offshore in the oil industry in Norway inside instruments, motor casings, cabinets and junction boxes because of the rough enviroment out at sea. Since zerust release some sort of vapour/gas I was just wondering if it could hurt the encoder sensor. Just to be clear, I'm not promoting this in any way I just know that it's used a lot on rough enviroment. If anyone has better suggestions to protect the encoder/cabinet I'm listening

Info here describes it;
    https://www.zerust.com/products/vci-...ule-diffusers/

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get small sachet's of desiccant, it is most likely Silic-Gel.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok will order some of those from ebay just to try to keep them in good shape.

I did replace the servo today with a used one off ebay. Nothing changed tho :/ I then tried it on the Y axis encoder and cable and it didn't give me this 453-03 message. I then tried swapping around the encoder cables and realized that it didn't matter what servo I disconnected. It always started up showing a disconnection and a overload error on the axis that was disconnected but as soon as I connected 3 encoders this 0453-03 message appeared again. If I'm correct this is a servo error message but I can't find the error code described in my maintenance manual anywhere so has anyone seen this before? Sorry if it's offtopic but I think it's somehow related to the messed up encoder I had.

I found these two alarm codes but they have different description so it's not easy to know what is what. Would prefer to find it in a official fanuc manual to be 100% sure of the alarm.
    Fanuc Alarm 453 n AXIS : SPC SOFT DISCONNECT ALARM - Helman CNC
    Fanuc alarm: 413,423,433,443,453,463,473 - SERVO ALARM: n-th AXIS - LSI OVERFLOW | CNC Alarms.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning encoders?-img_5327-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

After reading a lot of manuals last night and comparing diagnostic screens I checked the Z limit siwitch. I didn’t think about this but the Z must have been sagging down because the third Zlimit was reached without giving an alarm. I removed the switch, ran Z in + direction and fitted the switch again all good

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by m1n1m View Post
    Ok will order some of those from ebay just to try to keep them in good shape.

I did replace the servo today with a used one off ebay. Nothing changed tho :/ I then tried it on the Y axis encoder and cable and it didn't give me this 453-03 message. I then tried swapping around the encoder cables and realized that it didn't matter what servo I disconnected. It always started up showing a disconnection and a overload error on the axis that was disconnected but as soon as I connected 3 encoders this 0453-03 message appeared again. If I'm correct this is a servo error message but I can't find the error code described in my maintenance manual anywhere so has anyone seen this before? Sorry if it's offtopic but I think it's somehow related to the messed up encoder I had.

I found these two alarm codes but they have different description so it's not easy to know what is what. Would prefer to find it in a official fanuc manual to be 100% sure of the alarm.
    Fanuc Alarm 453 n AXIS : SPC SOFT DISCONNECT ALARM - Helman CNC
    Fanuc alarm: 413,423,433,443,453,463,473 - SERVO ALARM: n-th AXIS - LSI OVERFLOW | CNC Alarms.com

These are not alarms. This is just displaying the controller's Executive ROM version. All this means is you have no alarms but are in ESTOP. If you press the position page you would have went to that page. Once ESTOP has been released then the controller displays the normal pages automatically. it's an old Fanuc 0-Mate thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I learned that now the hard way :P I went to the diagnostic screen and looked at 701 #5 that told me I had some sort of estop activated. Found out that the third endstop of Z axis worked as that without giving a error. The Z sags down at each power down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12