Fanuc 0i MD VMC work coord & tool lengths 'philosophy'

Thread: Fanuc 0i MD VMC work coord & tool lengths 'philosophy'

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc 0i MD VMC work coord & tool lengths 'philosophy'

NB: 1st post, put it in the wrong category originally, apologies to those who have already read it

Fanuc 0i MD

My first time on a Fanuc mill after Heidenhain, spent a couple of hours trying to get my head 'round the work shift and tool length setting and need to get a definitive on what trumps what and what needs to be initially zero'ed or reset to avoid offsets on offsets etc.

Once a code is run and g43's and g54 etc are called I presume the last one called remains active if I switch to any manual movement?

Are there any codes I need to watch for at the end of progs which clear work/tool offsets?

Before I set a work shift, how do I ensure no other workshifts are active, should I call that workshift first in MDI? will reffing all axis clear the workshifts? G53 or a manual ref? G49 work on Fanucs?

Before I set a work shift, I presume I need to activate a zero tool length?
    Or again can I clear the active tool H?

Any suggested workflows gratefully received.

BTW, I'm manually setting - no electronic gizmos. Because of the safeties and switches on the machine side the workflow is a bit long winded so was going to make up my own BT40 tool gauge for measuring tool lengths but couldn't see any ref to DIY gauges on line, see any reason why not?

Cheers, bspear