Need Help! Upgrading from O-Mate MC to 32 bit 0MC (Intel 486DX2), Not Ready Issue

Thread: Upgrading from O-Mate MC to 32 bit 0MC (Intel 486DX2), Not Ready Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrading from O-Mate MC to 32 bit 0MC (Intel 486DX2), Not Ready Issue

Folks,

I have a older machine that I have reconditioned mechanically and is working well in that regard, however the memory and feature limitations of the Mate controller prompted me to take advantage of a good deal on a full 0MC control. I backed everything up, swapped out the controls, and have the new 0MC installed with new OE1 and OE2 chips burned with the proper ladder. I restored the parameters, diagnostic data, etc and all of that is swell, but there is one last problem remaining.

When I purchased the control, it was equipped with an A16B-2200-0390 axis card. This model is for serial encoder servo amps. Because of this, I initially brought up the control without the servo amplifiers connected and the only problems I saw were the expected SPC and digital axis parameter errors. I just replaced that axis card with a A16B-2200-0360 digital A/B encoder axis card that I borrowed from another machine in the shop. This should be the proper A/B encoder, 3/4 axis card for a 32 bit, intel control based upon my understanding of everything I have read. Whenever I install this card into the control, boot just halts with a not ready screen and while it shows the servo version, it does not show the PMC version. This leads me to believe that it is getting upset when it tries to initialize that axis card and not proceeding to initialize the PMC. If I swap the 0390 serial axis card back in, it boots up just as happy as can be, save the expected errors due to having no servo amplifiers connected.

Can anyone help shed some light on what might be going on here? I know the axis card is good. I know the control is good. To the best of my knowledge, the control software version isn't specific for serial versus A/B axis cards, or is it? I'd be grateful for any insight. In the meantime, I had to put back the old Mate control until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading from O-Mate MC to 32 bit 0MC (Intel 486DX2), Not Ready Issue

You may need a A16B–2200–0220 (for 16–bit) AXES card in place of the A16B–2200–0360 (for 32–bit), depending whether the 0MC is a 16 bit or 32 bit system.
    Don't know about the 3/4 axis card (type B interface) A16B–2203–0020.
    Your SYSTEM software is is different for 16/32 bit. Which do you have?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading from O-Mate MC to 32 bit 0MC (Intel 486DX2), Not Ready Issue

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not an expert on all of the variations in the 0 series controls), but I didn't think 16 bit system software would run on the 32 bit version of this control. The new 0MC with the Intel 486 CPU is 32 bit from everything I can tell, as is the 0MC in the Miyano (Intel 386) that I pulled the 0360 axis card from. The old 0-Mate was 16 bit. For grins, I tried the 0220, 16 bit axis card from the Mate and its the same deal. The system doesn't get past the initial system boot screen with a not ready error when I try that axis card. The only thing I didn't try before swapping back was pulling the OE1 and OE2 from the new control to eliminate the PMC as a possible issue. Because both PMCs are PMC-L, I'm also under the impression that I can use the OE1 and OE2 eeprom images from the 0-mate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well crap... I just found this in the fine print of the maintenance manual:

The following axis printed circuit boards cannot be used with a master
    printed circuit board having a high–speed CPU:
    1/4–axis printed circuit board (dedicated to A/B–phase pulse coder) \
    A16B–2200–0360
    1/2–axis printed circuit board (dedicated to A/B–phase pulse coder) \
    A16B–2200–0361
    As substitutes for the above, axis printed circuit boards which can be used
    with either an A/B–phase pulse coder or serial pulse coder are available:
    1/4–axis printed circuit board (also supporting serial pulse coder) \
    A16B–2200–0390
    1/2–axis printed circuit board (also supporting serial pulse coder) \
    A16B–2200–0391
    If these boards are used, the digital servo function (software) must be
    modified accordingly

I'm guessing the 486DX2 qualifies as a high speed CPU. so it looks like the 0390 serial card that I have will support the a/b pulse coders that are currently on the machine, but does anyone know what they mean by the digital servo function (software) must me modified accordingly? Better yet, does anyone out there have a 0MC with the 486DX2 running with A/B encoders?

Downloads
    Uploads

For A/B encoders with a 0MC high speed CPU main board, you need to use the 0390 card, I was able to get the machine somewhat operational by swapping out the 9046 digital servo software EEPROM with one that was burned with version 9030. I'm not sure that it is right and the servo tuning is definitely off as compared to the old O-Mate configuration values, but its a step in the right direction. I just need to validate what EEPROM image I should be using and if the servo parameters are different with this new control. That discussion warrants a different thread.