Barcode Program Entry

Thread: Barcode Program Entry

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Barcode Program Entry

Hi all, I have two cnc machines running Fanuc Oi-MD controllers that work on production. I'm trying to find a way to input programs using a barcode scanner instead of manual entry, which takes extra time and is susceptible to errors. I'm not sure what type of protocols that the controller can handle, and I realize that the scanners probably cannot be run directly to the controller. I'll probably need external hardware to run scanner, and maybe convert the program number into ASCII code, then transfer to a memory location in the controller where the manual program entries are stored??? Anybody got any input or experience with this? I'm pretty sure that it's possible, I've heard of other companies doing this, but the third party that used to set this up is out of business with no useful contacts. Thanks!!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Barcode Program Entry

I know GE Fanuc has done this in the past. The people who did this now works for Fanuc in Hoffman Estates. You might call them and ask for the FAS team and see if they are willing to assist you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks drdos. I think I have found a work around with 3rd party software that can use barcode serial information.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dkhayes117 View Post
    Thanks drdos. I think I have found a work around with 3rd party software that can use barcode serial information.
    Could you please let me know whether you could do this or not? if so, how could you worked with 3rd party software?
    Any help and advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you very much.

mohadeseh

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dkhayes117 View Post
    Hi all, I have two cnc machines running Fanuc Oi-MD controllers that work on production. I'm trying to find a way to input programs using a barcode scanner instead of manual entry, which takes extra time and is susceptible to errors. I'm not sure what type of protocols that the controller can handle, and I realize that the scanners probably cannot be run directly to the controller. I'll probably need external hardware to run scanner, and maybe convert the program number into ASCII code, then transfer to a memory location in the controller where the manual program entries are stored??? Anybody got any input or experience with this? I'm pretty sure that it's possible, I've heard of other companies doing this, but the third party that used to set this up is out of business with no useful contacts. Thanks!!
    How are you inputting programs now?
    If you are just selecting cutting programs you can create a macro program for part number selection. Use one macro to type part number as long it is numeric and not alpha numeric, then use the macro program to scan and jump to appropriete cutting programs.
    I have done this.
    Or
    I have also done this made custom screens for operator to select part number then write this part number to a macro variable then scan the macro variables.
    Or
    I have done this.
    Have you ever programmed a plc?
    Some barcode scanners use serial/ascii so you need to convert serial to some way the CNC can take it, either ethernetIP or devicenet or some other way. So you need a module to convert serial to ethernet to PLC to fanuc. I use rockwell or similiar.
    Look at ascii to plc gateway. 435NBX by real time automation.

Lots of our customers now require loads of part number that the machine can accept. Last job i did had 110. Job before that was 60 something.

Its more difficult.when you have alpha and numeric numbers.

Some CNC machines with a USB port can be driven from a regular keyboard. Some barcode scanners present as a USB keyboard. If both of these are true you can plug the scanner directly in to the CNC machine and make it do anything. You have to be careful about what is in the barcode text and where it is being input.

Try it out and let us know if it works before we get too crazy with 3rd party solutions.