FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Downloads
    Uploads

Question FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Middle of a part last week, machine pops up 914 Ram Parity Error. Screenshot attatched. Not a lot on the web to diag this, but a few people say its the Servo Board (the 3 axis one on the drive). First thing, cleared machine memory, re-enter params, same error. Ok, go on Ebay, order a board from China, install, error persists. re-clear memory, enter params again. Same thing. WTF. Anyone know what else to look for. Unless its RAM on the main board, is that removable like the Ladder chips? I need to get this thing up again. maybe Memoryman can chip in? I found something on KFASLLC about showing an address for where the error occured, but it looks like thats a newer control version.

Machine info
    1989 Mycenter 2-285 (or 385 cant remember)
    Fanuc OMB
    Ladder was written a few years ago to run on a daughter board instead of the main board since the ladder EEPROMS were blank when I bought the machine. No idea why they werent written to run on the standard Mainboard.
    FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B-img_20171015_193025_097-1-jpg

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default re: FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Our Kiwa Excel 510 3-axis VMC (circa 1988) with Fanuc O-M just threw a similar error: 914 RAM PARITY (SERVO). I restarted the machine, zero'd the XYZ axis (machine was functional), and 5 minutes later, bam! System Alarm. I have contacted our service guy, and I'll report back our findings. Third-Gen, have you found out anything more about the System Error?
    FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B-914-ram-parity-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Google has very little on this error. Service manual says replace axis board or replace main board. Im hoping its just a chip. I dont have anyone local that does old fanuc.

Last edited by Third-Gen; 10-25-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

did you measure batteries?
    try to replace power supply om master board

Downloads
    Uploads

Batteries measured 5.6v. I dont have a spare supply. Why would that cause a ram issue?

Downloads
    Uploads

ram most likely supplied from batteries when power is off
    and during operation it needs good +5V
    check it by oscilloscope

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Unfortunately you requested help on a Fanuc control by referring to it in a negative manor. I have the answer to your problem, however, seeing as you are not capable of requesting help in a civil manor, I have no desire to help you.

Being that you requested help here instead of from your machine tool builder or Fanuc directly, I assume you want something (the solution) for nothing. Good luck, you just pissed off one of the few people that could help you!

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris D, there was indeed no ill will pointed at Fanuc. EVERY machine in my shop is Fanuc based, from my 1985 6T lathe to my Acramatic 2100 thats a Fanuc backbone. And I LOVE their controls. This particular machine, has me always pulling my hair out. Ive posted on this forum many times since I bought it 2 years ago, and I have spend TONS of money keeping it running. Heres a little background, just so you understand my frustration with whats currently happening. Also, Im about an hour outside Seattle. NOBODY will touch this old control. If its not a Mori, Mazak, or Haas, im SOL, so here I am. And i wrote this original post at 4am, after running parts since 6am that morning, trying to do what Ill describe below.

I bought this machine 2.5 years ago or so. From a machinist buddy. He beat the HELL out of it. I bought it not running, just like it sits now basically. It powered up but that was it. Thats 8K just to get the machine. Come to find out, after months of trying to find someone that can agree with me on what i KNEW was wrong, i found someone to rewrite the ladder EEPROMS. See, the cabinet fans hadnt worked in 5 or 6 years (maybe more) when my buddy owned it. So it cooked the cabinet. Erased EEPROMS, so on and so forth. So, I get the ladder complete redone from the manuals I luckily had, thats another 7K. Then, find out that the drawbar cylinder has been leaking into the headstock, hence why the headstock is way full and the hydro tank is almost empty. Cool, $300 and a new seal later, fixed. Then, the Trochoid pump that actually lubes the headstock doesnt move oil. And ALL the bearings for the 2 speed are DONE. So I tear down the headstock and replace them ALL. Another $800.

Ok at least the machine cuts now. But wow it cuts horribly. I can grab the table and wiggle it back and forth, and the screws make a HORRIFIC noise. So, new screw thrust and support bearings. Another 1500$. Limit swtiches that were corroded, another few hundred. Now to find out the lube pump for the box ways never worked, for like 10 years. So all the Turcite is GARBAGE and falling out of the ways in pieces. So, complete teardown, luckily my buddy knows how to scrape, but Rulon142 isnt cheap, so thats another 1k or so in parts just for Rulon. So, get the machine in DECENT enough shape to run, and use it for a while to make some parts. This was all in So Cal where I used to be.

Fast forward 18 months ago, I relocated to Monroe, WA. Hauled the machine up, wasnt cheap. should have sold it and bought another when i got here, lesson learned. But It was my only mill at the time. I have since bought a Cinci Lancer. Running parts for about 8 months and the spindle bogs and starts to overload the drive. Figure the spindle has 60k hours, its probably due. I run it at max rpm for hours doing 3D surfacing stuff, bad idea. So i find an already rebuilt unit on ebay for 1500, ship it from new york, teardown, replace, etc. Up and running again. SEVEN HOURS LATER, after doing the proper break in per the manual, even running at at 6000, the spindle starts to make a horrible noise. not getting hot as bad, but like crashed bearings. Come to find out there was so much crud in the spindle chiller it never got an accurate reading of ambient temps, and never really turned on. So that spindle is now trashed. I can only run it at about 5k or my ears bleed. So come to a few weeks ago, and Im running some emergency rush parts, which were enough profit to afford to have the ORIGINAL spindle that I pulled out rebuilt, since the chiller has been fixed now, I can take that risk, and BOOM, 914 Servo Ram Error. So now, not only do I not have a job done, shipped, and paid, I have a machine that wont run and I have zero ideas on how to fix it, nobody but forums and google to try and help, again, why Im here.

So 25K or so later ive been throwing at trying to keep this machine going, and I am a one man show, I either part it out for what I can, or rely on people that know more than I do to try and get it fixed. Again, no ill will towards Fanuc, I made this post when I wasnt very happy with my situation,

Edit: The manuals for the machine say 2 things: 1: replace servo board (which i just did, another 500 down the tube), and 2: replace main board.

Downloads
    Uploads

guhl, i dont have a decent scope to check all this. the machine will boot fine if Estop is pressed. Its only when it tried to initialize the drive and go into Ready that it pops up with the 914. I have looked through the manuals and dont know which chips are the ones I need to look at, and then what pins or test points I need to check. Batteries are 5.6 with the machine off and on, so nowhere near getting low.

Downloads
    Uploads

sort of ironic, FB reminded me that today I ran my first paid part on this machine, 2 years ago today.....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B

Sad to rad about your experiences.
    The cause for the 914 or 915 alarm is ALWAYS on the main board; a relatively easy fix. Contact me if you need control advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Memoryman i sent you a message not sure if it went through

Downloads
    Uploads

Did not get it yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B-20171103_151021-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B-20171108_131357-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

They are fine; see pm.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks memoryman. I have to post the pictures here so i can link to them in a PM, since I cant directly attach them. FANUC DOWN AGAIN. 914 RAM Parity Servo OM-B-20171108_155406-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

ok talked to another old school Fanuc tech today, the chips I replaced are the program memory RAM only. Those would throw a 910 or 911 alarm. The SERVO RAM is a different part of the board, which i will be getting parts for, but wont be posting publicly since this is paid info and people need job security. hope this gets me running again. again, the chips i replaced are not needed to be replaced for a 914 alarm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Machine is back up again, no more 914 errors. it was a pretty easy fix. The guy who helped me said I cant post the fix publicly since I got the info free of charge, but if someone else needs the fix let me know and I can try to help. It was in the servo ram, not the program ram.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I am having the same issue with 914 alar can you let me know about the fix?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast