Need Help! Fanuc serial interface

Thread: Fanuc serial interface

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc serial interface

Hi, does anyone have documentation on the Fanuc serial interface 2 to plug in a linear scale encoder. Protocol Is that the RS232?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc serial interface

Quote Originally Posted by Shukman View Post
    Hi, does anyone have documentation on the Fanuc serial interface 2 to plug in a linear scale encoder. Protocol Is that the RS232?
    I'm familiar with the serial interface 1, its a proprietary RS-422 (separate TX and RX differential pairs) interface with a outgoing request pulse and 77 incoming bits of data with 5 CRC bits at a 1.024 mbits/sec

Pretty sure the type 2 interface is RS-485 (single differential pair for TX and RX) at a 2.048 mbits/sec rate but have not made an interface for it yet so not sure

Downloads
    Uploads

I have found an information on the interface in the documentation for the encoders. How can I generate a request signal. What is the data transfer rate of the interface and the number of data bits. Are there any start bits, parity bits, and stop bits in the request?Fanuc serial interface-jpg-jpg
    Fanuc serial interface-prim-gif

Downloads
    Uploads

As I said for type1 the data rate is 1.024 mbits/second, the number of bits is 77 (including 5 CRC bits)
    so its not like a standard 8 bit Async serial data stream at all.

for type 1 the request is just a single pulse, Not sure about type2 except type 2 is half duplex (single pair)

Downloads
    Uploads

Which Fanuc controller do you have? Fanuc has desinated connectors in the controller to talk to these scales. You have to set a parameter bit in the controller before the controller can look at the scale.