Solved Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot

Thread: Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot

I've been pulling my hair out with this issue for a couple weeks now. I have a design drawn up and toolpaths created. The machine is supposed to be cutting holes around a circle. The simulation looks great but when I run the mill it decides to deviate out of the hole and does a little curly-q thingy on the edge. The way I created it in MasterCam X9 was by making the hole designed the way I wanted it and then I selected Xform Rotate and copied the hole 30 times every 12 degrees around the center. I've re-done the toolpath multiple times, as both a solid design and just a 2D drawing. I drew it out again tonight from scratch and got down to only 3 holes with the squiggly but thats the best I can get. Everything is perfect in the MasterCam simulation and CimcoEdit backplot. I have gone through the code line by line and cannot find any place where its telling telling the controller to do something different. After the 2nd one I cut was wrong I put a marker in the toolholder to test. Here's the images. I don't know if this is the correct place to put this issue. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-disk1-png   Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-disk2-png   Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-disksim-png   Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-discbackplot-png  

Last edited by Brassaholic; 03-30-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
    - Enshu Accu-Mill AM-1547 ('84) w/ Fanuc 6m Model B
    - AD20 American Rotary Phase Converter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot

Hey Brass,

How's the mill treating you? Can you post your code as a text attachment? Possibly also export your drawing as a dxf or Iges wire frame and post that as well?

Charles

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot

The acual G-code is needed. Note that the 'curly-q thingy' is always in one of two quadrants; that should give you a clue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
    Hey Brass,

How's the mill treating you? Can you post your code as a text attachment? Possibly also export your drawing as a dxf or Iges wire frame and post that as well?

Charles
    Charles, The mill has been great. I don't get to use anywhere near enough but I've been having fun with it. The coolant you suggested has been great. I've attached the files requested. This version of the code only has the problem in holes 10, 13, and 16. After the first one didn't work I deleted the 3 holes in the design, created new ones, and added the toolpath. The issue occurred again in the same places. You can see both attempts attached.
    Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-disk3-png

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

As I side note I've successfully made one of these last week using larger holes. I created the design and toolpaths all the same way as the other one, but this time it cut the holes correctly on the first run.
    Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-disk4-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Brass,

What is the outer diameter of the wheel? Also maybe what is the 0,0,0 location for the program (so I can locate the part similarly)? I have a post for 6m thought I'd try to generate the code with my software and send it back. I did notice in your code that one part seems wrong....

(MATERIAL - ALUMINUM INCH - 2024)
    ( T11 | 3/32 FLAT ENDMILL | H11 )
    N100 G20
    N102 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
    (N104 M7)
    N106 G0 G90 G548 X8.0311 Y-.5703 <- Should G548 be you G54 callout?
    (N107 S37 M3)
    N108 G43 H11 Z2.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually that should be G58, I'm using a different work offset then usual. The hole is about a half inch. The diameter of the wheel is 10.721". My origin is the top left corner of the stock, the center of the wheel is located at 8.5, -5.5, 0.0.

Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-diskholesize-jpg
    Fanuc 6MB - Milling Doesn't Match MasterCam Simulation or CimcoEdit Backplot-diskdiameter-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Charles, thanks for your help, it looks like we have this one figured out! I'm going to attempt to explain what was happening. Charles, feel free to correct anything I say that isn't quite accurate.

The hole pattern contain alternating circular cutouts and fillets. The size of this cutouts and fillets, along with the 3/32" end mill I'm using were just the right size to be confusing the controller and cause it to cut around the outside of the pattern, instead of staying on the inside. The code originally generated for the hole pattern was only cutting with a G3 (counterclockwise arc). It should have been using a G2 (clockwise arc) to do the outer cutout and a G3 to cut the inner fillet. That is how the code for the wheel with the larger holes was generated. To test this theory Charles had me replace the 3/32" end mill with a 1/16" and generate the code again. Sure enough that made the code the code to the alternating G2/G3. I didn't use use a 1/16" endmill so to fix this I scaled the hole pattern up by a factor of 0.01". I've attached the new code for anyone interested.

Attached Files Attached Files