Fanuc Zero Reference Return Problems?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanuc Zero Reference Return Problems?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc Zero Reference Return Problems?

I have a custom machine with 3 fanuc servos. There are 2 (x12/4000Vis) motors and 1 (x22/4000HVis). The 2 (x12/4000Vis) have absolute pulse coders. I am working on the initial setup for the machine and am having problems setting the Zero Reference Return position (parameter 1815). After setting the APC and APZ bits to 1 and cycling the power, the axis' will not move anymore. No alarms, no nothing. The 2 axis' will jog before I set these bits.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

What Fanuc control, you may have to power down, hold the cancel & P buttons , power up and hold until boot finished to cancel the soft overtravel limits.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try use after Power On, in MDI mode, G91G28X0.Y0. And check in PMCDGN (STATUS) F94.0 and F94.1 If these bit's is 1, is ok the reference point !!!

Daniel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al,

I've already tried the P and Cancel idea with no luck. I've also opened my soft limits up to +/-99999999.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Use the Marker Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by grege101 View Post
    I have a custom machine with 3 fanuc servos. There are 2 (x12/4000Vis) motors and 1 (x22/4000HVis). The 2 (x12/4000Vis) have absolute pulse coders. I am working on the initial setup for the machine and am having problems setting the Zero Reference Return position (parameter 1815). After setting the APC and APZ bits to 1 and cycling the power, the axis' will not move anymore. No alarms, no nothing. The 2 axis' will jog before I set these bits.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

When you force APZ on you are telling the control that that is where Home is. APZ needs to set my the decell switch and the marker pulse in the encoder

First turn APC to 0 and also APZ to 0
    Cycle the power
    At power up you will get a () AXIS needs zero return
    Manually home the axis
    Back off the home swith in handle
    Set APC to 1
    Cycle power
    At power up do manual zero return again
    This will set APZ to 1

This is the procedure for most Fanucs that have these parameters

Bluesman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you force APZ on you are telling the control that that is where Home is. APZ needs to set my the decell switch and the marker pulse in the encoder

First turn APC to 0 and also APZ to 0
    Cycle the power
    At power up you will get a () AXIS needs zero return
    Manually home the axis
    Back off the home swith in handle
    Set APC to 1
    Cycle power
    At power up do manual zero return again
    This will set APZ to 1

This is the procedure for most Fanucs that have these parameters

Bluesman
    Bluesman,

What is manual zero return? I am never asked to do a manual zero return. Do you mean by manually moving the axis by hand to its home mark? The manual tells me that a message should come up on the screen after I power back up asking whether or not I would like to do a zero reference return. I have yet to see this message.

Could this be because of a parameter not being set?

Thanks,

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grege101 View Post
    Bluesman,

What is manual zero return? I am never asked to do a manual zero return. Do you mean by manually moving the axis by hand to its home mark? The manual tells me that a message should come up on the screen after I power back up asking whether or not I would like to do a zero reference return. I have yet to see this message.

Could this be because of a parameter not being set?

Thanks,

Greg
    What is the control you are using? There should be a selector switch for Memory Handle Jog and so forth on this swith there is also a zero return function. For the home to be set correctly this function sends the axis home until it sees the decel switch (Home Switch) at this point as soon as it comes off decel it waits one full rev of the screw then searches for the makrer pulse when it sees that signal it sets home. From that point on you can use a G28 functun to go directly home. But this position must be set from the decell swiotch before it knows where it is

What is the control series I have some manuals on file if I have the one you need I will send it to you

Bluesman
    PS the manual are 5mb an average size so you will need to send me a private message with a e-mail address

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The control I'm using is Power Mate i-Model H

Downloads
    Uploads

If the machine has absolute encoders, it will not have deceleration switches. The "home" position is stored in memory by turning APZ to 1. You will however find that you need to have an idea of what position it has to be at to set the home position. Usually you will find this in the machine specifications in the operator's manual. It will be a drawing showing the machine's internal dimensions (machine maximum travel, etc). After you turn APC & APZ to 0, turn off the machine and back on again. The machine should allow you to move it in manual mode, you then need to move to the position which is shown in the diagram. The ballscrew for the axis in question needs to do at least one full revolution to pick up the marker pulse, or the zero position can not be set. Once in the correct position, turn APC & APZ to 1 and repower the machine. You do not need to repower between APC & APZ even though you should get a message to do so. Once the machine is powered up again, you will need to reset your zero in either the work shift or work offsets (whichever you use), and also your tool setter parameters (if you have one).

Note for the inexperienced: be very careful using Cancel/P to cancel soft limits. On some controls, if you have Parameter Write Enable (PWE) set to 1 when you do this, you will reinitialise all parameters. Pray you have a backup if this happens.

regards, Oz

Last edited by Ozemale6t9; 10-06-2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Note added

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ozemale6t9 View Post
    If the machine has absolute encoders, it will not have deceleration switches. The "home" position is stored in memory by turning APZ to 1. You will however find that you need to have an idea of what position it has to be at to set the home position. Usually you will find this in the machine specifications in the operator's manual. It will be a drawing showing the machine's internal dimensions (machine maximum travel, etc). After you turn APC & APZ to 0, turn off the machine and back on again. The machine should allow you to move it in manual mode, you then need to move to the position which is shown in the diagram. The ballscrew for the axis in question needs to do at least one full revolution to pick up the marker pulse, or the zero position can not be set. Once in the correct position, turn APC & APZ to 1 and repower the machine. You do not need to repower between APC & APZ even though you should get a message to do so. Once the machine is powered up again, you will need to reset your zero in either the work shift or work offsets (whichever you use), and also your tool setter parameters (if you have one).

Note for the inexperienced: be very careful using Cancel/P to cancel soft limits. On some controls, if you have Parameter Write Enable (PWE) set to 1 when you do this, you will reinitialise all parameters. Pray you have a backup if this happens.

regards, Oz

Are you sure?, I got 16Is and 16Cs all over my shop (over 50 of them) they all have absolute pulse coders and decell switches, When ever I have to do a grid shift (After the gorillias chrash it) I always have used this procedure. In fact when I worked for Mori we did the same thing. Untill the 500 qnd 501 and 518 controls. Thise have a completly difrent procedure. But the still have decell switches. Maybe I am confusing it with something else. I have been wrong before.
    But I do know you can not force APZ on you will not get an acurate home pozition.

Bluesman

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely sure....Had to do one for a customer about 3 weeks ago after their batteries went flat. It has deceleration dogs to, but they are not used because it has absolute encoders.

regards, Oz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your replies Ozemale6t9 and Bluesman! I am back to work today and will give your suggestion a try as soon as I get a chance to get back over to that machine.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oz,

I cannot find the internal dimensions drawing that you are reffering to. I have the entire set of manuals for these motors and controller. Do you know where abouts the motor must be (rotation)for the zero reference to work? Or is there any way that I can find out? My next option is to call Fanuc and see if I can get any help from them. The manuals do not say anything about a specific position that I must be in inorder to set the zero reference. Although, they do explain everything else you have said which I have tried numerous times.

Thanks for your help,

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Were you using either work shift or work offsets (eg. G54) to set the datum point? If so, you could work backwards from that point. Although, now I have re-read your initial post, I am wondering if this is a new machine, which you are building? The reality is that the home position could be set where-ever you like, but as a general rule they are set just inside the hard limits. This is mainly so everything is clear when doing tool changes etc. The work shift/work offsets function then allows you to set the coordinate system so the display shows something relevant to the part. Some parameters need to be considered if you change the home position or are configuring a new machine, like tool change position (usually a distance from home), soft limits, touch setter position etc.

regards,Oz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ozemale6t9 View Post

regards, Oz

1815 APC that is for the Absolute Pulse coder. If it is a 1 you have absolute. Not many MB use incrimental anymore, And depending on the MB most are still using decell switches to set home. If you have the decell switch the procedure I gave you is correct. If not them you need to follow the MB guide on how to set home this.
    YOU CAN NOT FORCE APZ ON IT MUST BE SET BY THE CONTROL that is acording to Fanuc

Bluesman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bluesman,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had time to get over to the other plant where this machine is. We currently have 8 of these machines so its not crucial for me to get this one up and running right away. I was in contact with Fanuc last week and they weren't much help. Basically told me that this shouldn't be happening. He did give me a few suggestions though. I have yet to try them because once again, time is not there.

Thanks, and when I figure out the problem, I will let you know what it was.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default problems with zero return on fanuc 8m machining center

Started a new job today and my task was to try and get an old cnc machining center running . Could not get machine to zero return ,it keep going into soft over travel in x y and z . I was told machine was crashed the controller is I think a 8m not positive about that .any ideas or do I need more info.

Thanks B.P.G.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had this problem once before and if I remember right bit 4 has to be set to one first then bit 5 of param 1815. Sometimes just sitting bit 4 to 1 doesn't take for some reason if bit 5 is already a 1.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Only APZ need to be turn 0

try this
    With APC to 1 and APZ to 1
    turn APZ to 0
    you should have alarm 000
    turn machine off
    turn machine on
    you should have alarm 3xx axis x (z) need reference
    set the zero point;
    turn APZ to 1
    you should have alarm 000
    turn machine off
    turn machine on

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 0 point setting for fanuc

when use a deceleration switch how to proced for 0 point set?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast