Need Help! Fanuc 15-M will not continuously drip feed

Thread: Fanuc 15-M will not continuously drip feed

Default Fanuc 15-M will not continuously drip feed

We upgraded our PC that is connected to the Fanuc via RS-232 cable.

The old PC ran Windows XP with a system-specific piece of software that looks to have been specifically made for this interface. The issue is, this is a 16-bit program, and it will not run on the 64-bit install of Windows 7 that the new PC is running.

I am now working on setting up easyDNC to communicate with the controller. When we dump an entire job over to the controller, we have no issues. The job is copied over entirely and the machine runs with no issues. These jobs are smaller in size, so they fit on the built-in memory.

When we attempt to drip feed a larger program, we start running into issues. First off, it would stop at 180 lines and alarm out with a buffer overflow. This turned out to be that the serial settings were wrong. We were able to straighten out the settings, but now the job stops at around 360 lines and alarms out with a buffer overflow. I attempted to increase the Block Delay, and this did help a little (getting to the 360 line point), but even increasing it to the maximum setting resulted in a buffer overflow.

DNC settings:
    Baud: 9600
    Data bits: 8 bits
    Parity: Even
    Stop bits: 2
    Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Firsts reduce your baud rate to 4800.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    Firsts reduce your baud rate to 4800.
    Currently, the controller is set to a baud rate of 9600, and that is what the old computer also ran at.

I did, though, forget to mention a somewhat vital piece of information:

The flow control seems to be fine. It does drip feed a few times between the 180 line and 360 line mark, which makes this a really odd situation. So, the drip feeding does work...sort of. It just runs into a buffer overflow part way through the job.

[Double-post please ignore...]

Last edited by kruug; 01-24-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Double posted...

Downloads
    Uploads

You may have to change the buffer size in easyDNC.

You may have to change the buffer size in easyDNC.
    I have the FIFO buffers disabled for Com1, but I don't see any buffer settings in easyDNC. We're using version 5.

Downloads
    Uploads

Am not familiar wit easyDNC. I use Multi-dnc with the computer next to the control. Try the lower baud rate.

Am not familiar wit easyDNC. I use Multi-dnc with the computer next to the control. Try the lower baud rate.
    Will try again on Monday, Jan 27, as today is Friday, which means it's Read-Only Friday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does your PC have a comm port or are you using a USB-Serial convertor? These often don't handle XON/XOFF handshaking very well.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Does your PC have a comm port or are you using a USB-Serial convertor? These often don't handle XON/XOFF handshaking very well.
    We are using an actual COM/RS-232 port.

Downloads
    Uploads

We have no problems using a generic USB-Serial converter. It is preferable to use hardware flow control,but xon/xoff works almost as well.
    Are you still using these control settings?
    DNC settings:

They have to match the PC settings (on the Easycnc forum you have the PC set to E71; suggest you use E72 for all)

We have no problems using a generic USB-Serial converter. It is preferable to use hardware flow control,but xon/xoff works almost as well.
    Are you still using these control settings?
    DNC settings:

They have to match the PC settings (on the Easycnc forum you have the PC set to E71; suggest you use E72 for all)
    Yes, that's what we have set currently. I was going to try different settings today.

Also, the program is the D96.exe program from this site: CAD CAM CNC Shareware Freeware

EDIT: I ran out of time today, I was not able to adjust settings.

Last edited by kruug; 01-27-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kruug View Post
    We upgraded our PC that is connected to the Fanuc via RS-232 cable.

The old PC ran Windows XP with a system-specific piece of software that looks to have been specifically made for this interface. The issue is, this is a 16-bit program, and it will not run on the 64-bit install of Windows 7 that the new PC is running.

I am now working on setting up easyDNC to communicate with the controller. When we dump an entire job over to the controller, we have no issues. The job is copied over entirely and the machine runs with no issues. These jobs are smaller in size, so they fit on the built-in memory.

When we attempt to drip feed a larger program, we start running into issues. First off, it would stop at 180 lines and alarm out with a buffer overflow. This turned out to be that the serial settings were wrong. We were able to straighten out the settings, but now the job stops at around 360 lines and alarms out with a buffer overflow. I attempted to increase the Block Delay, and this did help a little (getting to the 360 line point), but even increasing it to the maximum setting resulted in a buffer overflow.

DNC settings:
    There are no parameters to be able to set the Fanuc Control to 8 Data bits. As the only ASCII codes accepted in a Program by a Fanuc control are contained in the standard ASCII set (0 to 127), 7 data bits are enough. If extended ASCII codes (128 to 255) were being sent, then 8 data bits are required. Accordingly, set data bits at the PC to 7.

Following are the control parameter settings when using Software Handshaking:

Parameter:
    Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    Bit 2 = 0
    Bit 3 = 0
    Bit 4 = 0

0020 = 1

0021 = 1

0022 = 1

0023 = 1

5001 = 3

5110 = 3

5111 = 2

5112 = Baud Rate (11 = 9600)

When using DNC, there are more opportunities for the buffer to become full (whilst the control is completing a command block). Buffer overflow nearly always is caused by the Uart of the sending device, and particularly when using Xon Xoff Handshaking. Modifying, or turning off the FIFO settings is sometimes a workaround for a Uart that can't respond quickly enough to a Stop Signal (Xoff - Ascii 19) being sent by the control. Accordingly, if you have another PC available to test with, try it to see if the results are the same. Hardware handshaking is more reliable if you can't resolve the problem with the Comm port of the sending device.

If you try Hardware Handshaking, parameters 5001 and 5110 are set to 4.

Regards,

Bill