Fanuc 5T - Getting started

Thread: Fanuc 5T - Getting started

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc 5T - Getting started

I acquired some 10 hp, Cadillac Fanuc 5T controlled lathes several years ago as part of a speculative venture - it is now time to stop speculating and get them to pay me back for saving their sorry butz from the salvage yard.

One is like new, the second is literally new (long story) and the third has a lot of "character" but it runs. They are all operational and have tape drive capability - I also have separate BTR's hooked to DOS P/C's that will transmit G code into the memories.

I have a simple to use parametric program called DesignView (simple version of CADDS5, now part of Pro E)that does a neat job of 2 D sketching forms - camshafts in my case. Once you do one cam, you simply change the numbers and, wah-lah, all new cam, fillets and all in 15-20 minutes... I have several cams done and now wish to machine them in-house...

I'd like to use the 5T's to turn them out of billet. Will probably have to do 1/2 at a time due to stiffness issues but that's down the road. They also have 4 position indexable tool turrets on them with places for 8 tools.

Question: is there a program that will turn my 2D drawings (output can be done in IGES, several versions, or DXF, version 10-11 supposedly, into G/M codes that will run on the 5T's?

If not, I am looking for least expensive, least difficult to learn CAD program that will turn my existing drawings into machine code.

I have access to goodness knows what BobCad but have never used/learned it. Looking for "plug and play" as opposed to "plug and pray".

I realize that these are dated machines but I got them quite reasonably, they're paid for and two of them are LITERALLY like new PHYSICALLY - otherwise they are merely old and dated.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with expertise in these machines, especially those who can advise what best to do to get them up and cutting metal via CAD to code translation.....

Feel free to contact me off board via P/M....

Thanks....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing wrong with the Bobcad you already have form your CAM needs.

I'd start with a few manually written programs on your lathes. Start very simple like face a part, bore a hole, etc. test each feature one at a time. Fanuc has an EXCELLENT MANUAL for learning to run and program with that control.

Karl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Karl

Thanks for reply. I have the Fanuc manuals but there are areas that are clearly "Jenglish" (Japanese English) which has its challenges.

I've learned a bit of interpretation in getting the machines up and running but 30 year old instruction manuals aren't that easy to figure out all the time - calls to Fanuc get these deadly pauses followed by "those machines are really old and nobody here knows that much about them anymore".

Moreover, I have this problem with computer programming manuals: they make perfect sense once you know how to program but are clear as mud if you know nothing about programming G or M code from the get go.

I was hoping to find a program that would "magically" turn or help turn my drawings into code. Now to find the G/D manual for Bobcad which is surely filed away somewhere by someone as I didn't use it last.....

Again, thanks but still looking/hoping for other answers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Even if you have a CAM program, you require the correct post processor for that control, most CAM's would normally have it but if not, hopefully the CAM program that you intend using would either have it, or allow you to modify a post that is close, but in this case you need to know of any unique functions used in the 5T and use them to modify the exsiting post.
    The alternative would be to get the S/W supplier to write a post for you, in many cases they charge for this feature.
    It really pay to get hold of a good CNC programming book and learn G/M code regardless of any Cad/Cam program you use.
    Also if you need to run it through a simulator, there are free ones like MicroTech CNC Simulator.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.