Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?

Ok, So I have a fanuc 6t on a miyano 6bc lathe. It has always worked fine till now. I can run parts for a couple of minutes then the Z axis starts jittering back and forth maybe 10 thou or so, but the position page doesnt change. Then it throws the 401 alarm. THe weird thing is that sometimes it does it in the Z and others in the X. I have tried turning the lathe off and on to see if that would correct it, it doesnt. I opened the panels to see if it had any lit alarms when it does this and I dont see any either. It will do this in all modes as well. I checked the pulse encoder to make sure they were not loose on the motors, and they are not. Weird thing is that it does it to both drives, whenever it wants. Any Ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

have you had the machine running a while? if its sat a long time or you just got it, check the lube system- stiction on old analog drives can cause this if the servo gain is too low and the slides are tight. when it does it, you can see the movement at dgn 800-801 (machine position doesnt display following error unless configured to do so).

if its a new problem and slides move freely, Id throw a meter on the power supply and watch for erratic 5v. the odd thing is its two axes- each has its own LSI chip...I dont recall if the little 455 op amps (8 pin DIP next to axis LSI chips) for driving the +/-10 analog out are single or double output on a 6- possible they are shared for 2 axes...radio shack has them cheap, they do fail on occasion. If I get a chance tonight I'll look in the drawings and see for sure if its a single or double chip. most of the ones Ive had go bad caused erratic slow movement, but were ok at higher rates. if the 455's are single axis output, again, look for a noisy 5v.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video that shows the two different axis, and the 800 diag. I havent ran the machine in about a month but before that I have had it for 5 years with no problems.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnV7xQTVQ-s]Fanuc 6t jittering - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

by the 4 digit dgn, I think thats a 6T-A series...possibly with 6045 or older scr drives? what model servo drives do you have, and was the machine relocated- the old scr drives were rotation sensitive... those old drives had brown plastic fuses near the contactor, and would kinda run with one missing, or single phase (I think if ran out of phase they blew a fuse or two- but its been a couple decades since Ive even seen one)...

if you have 6047 DC or 6050 AC drives (could have either- but rare to see on a 'A' control) the phasing dont matter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They have the plastic brown fuses. Phasing has not changed. And the weird thing is that it would run for about 15 minutes before it would start jittering. But now it starts to jitter after only a second or two. Phasing has not changed in the last few years that I have had it running.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, let's try a little deductive reasoning here ...

1) The CNC control itself is probably not at fault because the servos are taking off on their own. The CNC is shutting down the servo when it detects that a servo is running away.

2) The likelyhood that you have TWO defective servo boards is very remote, so I would rule out a bad X and Z servo board

3) Since either (or both) servos misbehave, it must be something that is common to both axes ... but it's not in the CNC control. Hmmm

4) There are only two things I can think of that are common to both servos. One is the phasing or a missing phase, but you say that phasing of the AC has not changed. So ...
    have a close look at the power supply unit on the X axis servo board. It's got a black aluminum heat sink, and it's output is shared by both servo boards via a ribbon cable. The Z axis gets power from the X axis power supply, so that is the only component that might cause either (or both) servos to go whacky. Pull the fuses on the back of both servo units ( 3 black plastic 15A indicator fuses for smaller motors, and 3 cartridge fuses with 3 1.3 A indicator fuses for larger motors) With all fuses removed, you should be able to power up the control and get a "ready", but the servos are dead. If you have an axis that can drift down, be sure to block it up with some wood, otherwise the axis will drift far enough to trigger the same servo alarm. Now check the voltages on both the servo boards. Use a voltmeter on the DC scale, and use check pin CH3 for a ground reference with on probe of your meter. Then check for +24v, +15v and -15v on both boards. There should be check pins marked for those voltages. Let the power supply warm up for a while, then see if one of those voltages becomes unstable or goes away. A bad regulator chip in the power supply on the X board is my guess.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure we are all talking about the same drives. I could be totally wrong as I am far from any expert. But I am not seeing the power supply for the drives, that is attached to the drives. The Z drive is on the Left, and the X is on the right I belive. Here are some photos:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?-imag0094-jpg   Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?-imag0096-jpg   Fanuc 6t dc motors "jitter" then says servo alarm?-imag0097-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

In your photo IMAG0094.JPG, you are showing the backsides of the X and Z servos. If you remove 2 screws at the very top of that chassis and hinge it down so the servos are horizontal. You will then be able to see the servo boards that I was talking about.

Your Z servo is on the left of the photo because it has 3 cartridge fuses and 3 black "indicator" fuses. The X servo is on the right, and it has only 3 brown 15 A indicator fuses.

These are 3-phase full wave SCR type drives, which were very common on Fanuc's back then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, got it. Measured across CH3 and the pins and this is what I found Out:

On the +24v I get 21.89 across both boards.

On the +15v I get 14.85 across both of them.

On the -15v I get -15.21 on both of them.

So just for seeing what would happen with the machine, I left the drives hanging horizontaly and fired it up. Didnt get any jittering at all, ran about a 10 minute long program, ran fine no jittering.

But now what it does, which it also did in its jittering stages as well, when It wasnt jittering, was:

Anytime you do a G28 command or a G0 command, and it rapids, it will alarm out and say x servo or y servo, like the motors are drawing too much current from the drives, and it alarms out with a servo alarm. The axis themselves are not sticky as I can move the lead screws by hand with no power on with the machine. Any Ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also, when you go to zero return, and if you just bump the axis button, to move in that direction, it will not alarm out, but if you hold the zero return button for a second or more, and give it time to get up to speed, it will alarm out on either axis. For a quick fix, is there a parameter to slow down the rapid speed? ON this control there is no rapid overide percentage switch, although I wish it had one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Please set your voltmeter on the AC scale with a range large enough to show about 200vac. Then, with the cnc power turned on, check the voltages on the back side of those servos on the terminal strip at the bottom. You will see wires on screw terminals labeled "A", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" and "6"

Check the AC voltage between terminal "A" and terminal "1"
    Check the voltage between terminal "A" and terminal "2"
    Check the voltage between terminal "1" and terminal "2"

They should all be about the same voltage. Check the X servo and the Z servo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, On your CHecks I got:

Z axis:

Check 1= 130.5
    Check 2= 133.6
    Check 3= 130.6

Whick is close, now on the x:

Check 1= 97.4
    Check 2= 99.6
    Check 3= 97.4

Then I also verified these numbers on the big orange looking transformer in the cabnet, where these power wires come from.

Also the error messages that it gives when it rapids is:

X= 411
    Z= 421

Which I guess means from the manual, that "The value of position deviation amount of the axis is larger than the value allowed while the machine is moving"

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, that looks OK. The 3-phase AC voltages are correct for a Fanuc model 20 motor (the Z axis) and a Fanuc model 5 motor (the X axis). I was thinking that one of these phases was missing.

Question: If you look at the diagnostics that show servo following error (800 and 801) while jogging the axes in 50% of rapid, what values show up? They should be approximately the same in the + direction as they are in the - direction. X may be different from Z, though. I'm looking for stable values that are the same in each direction. This following error number should be exactly proportional to the speed at which the servo is moving.

If you can move all over the place in 50% rapid, but get these alarms when you run at 100% rapid, we have to look at the parameter settings. Are you sure that all the parameters for this machine are correct? Could someone have been trying to "juice up" the machine by increasing the rapid speed, etc.?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok there is no rapid overide on this machine. I wish there was though. No I am a one man show at my shop no one else could of messed with it. Is there a parameter I could change to slow down the rapid?

Downloads
    Uploads

The rapid rate on a 6T is set with parameters 092 (for X) and 093 (for Z). If the machine has metric ballscrews, the number you set is in mm/min. If the ballscrews are in inch, the setting is in units of 0.1 inch/min.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I didn't change any parameters yet. Now when I try to move the axis I get a 410 and 420 alarm.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd look at the +5 and +/- 15 on the master board- it needs to be clean...if its stable/close to 5v, try ac on the meter, should be near zero- a bad cap will put ripple on there and screw with a lot of stuff...On a 6 with DC servos, the encoder power comes from the master board. I think the 455 op amps and the axis LSI use +/- 15 as their supply, anything odd there will make the velocity command voltage unstable. I think if the 5v to the encoders was screwed up, you'd likely get 416/426 disconnect alarms first, but theres a LOT of chips that run on 5v, and it has to be clean. might suggest watching the meter while its jittering, look for anything odd...

Dan- good call on the shared power supply on the old scr drives- I forgot all about that one there still might be something amiss there, not sure what happens if that supply gets flaky? the few we had just got red lights on the drive IIRC...been 20 years since we had any of these at our shop though...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The master board is not in this cabinet correct? It is right behind the CRT, and tape reader? Also, where on this board is there a 5V testing spot, and a -15, +15 volt testing area? Where would the bad cap be that is causing this problem? GOtta remember, I know a bit about testing electronics, but am in no way familer with this machines electronics. Thanks for the help guys.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, On the main mother board I got a clean 5v and a +15 and a -15v. Where and what should I check next guys? Oh By the way I did check these voltages while the machine was jittering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast