low following error not a good thing?

Thread: low following error not a good thing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default low following error not a good thing?

I just tuned a servo system and ended up with a following error that was sub tenth thousanths. A friend made this statement :

"How come Fagor CNC controls recommends following error to be .100?
    They state the machine should lag the control. I forget why following error shouldn't be so tight."

I find it hard to believe that fagor would state any such nonsense. Can anyone confirm or deny what fagor states about following error?

Thanks !

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: low following error not a good thing?

The amount of following error needed depends so much on what your doing, how fast you are doing it, what hardware you are doing it with, and how close of a tolerance is acceptable. If indeed they have said that, I would assume it is because it is simply a nice balance point for high precision versus high speed work. As you have found in tuning your equipment, you can achieve tighter following. Most of our equipment is running around .05 iirc. I would just monitor your servo system temperature closely while under load for a bit to be sure you are not over stressing your system by forcing it to hold such a tight margin.