Fagor 8025-T non-operational

Thread: Fagor 8025-T non-operational

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fagor 8025-T non-operational

Hello everyone,

first time post here. My name is Dan and I work for a small job shop with two cnc lathes, one is a Hardinge conversion machine with a Fagor 8025-T controller. We are having some strange technical difficulties with it that we are trying to get to the bottom of.

To make a long story a little shorter, the controller went blank one day about a half hour into a job. Upon an attempt of restart, it gave me a bunch of random symbols and Spanish. After a few more attempts, I got it to go through it's general test to find a "Parity T" error, along with years of programs and parameters missing. After that, no more reboot. Only random symbols (with no navigation to main menu), a rectangle in the top left corner of the screen, or just a blank screen and a constant, long beep. After some research, we decided to replace the backup battery, to give it a shot, not knowing what else to do. A company sold us a new battery and gave us parameters and instructions on how to enter them. At first, the machine booted with the Parity T error. I got to the fifth parameter and it stopped letting me enter them. Then, new issues arrived. Here is a list of what showed up upon reboots from then on:

1.) Freeze at the general test page
    2.) Only the upper half of the 8025-T would appear when it does it's general test
    3.) A tool geometry page appeared, completely skipping the general test page
    4.) A position screen appeared, again skipping the test page
    5.) Partial menus at the bottom of the screen, no test page
    6.) Test page or blank screen with the M12 solenoid (collet close?) clicking on and off once or continuously

Now, all I get is the completely blank screen and a long, continuous beep. The keys do beep when pressed and the "three" key on the membrane pad seems to make a solenoid respond. I ended up pulling the control out of the cabinet to view the boards, in an effort to see bulging caps, burned spots, or anything out of the ordinary, but I didn't see anything. I was very careful to not touch the boards to avoid static discharge and I was very careful with disconnecting all cables.

The company we got the battery from has been helpful and suggests that it's possible the video board is out, however I'm confused as of why that would cause random pages to appear upon initial start, rather than the test page. I would think the screen would be rolling from failed caps, only show part of the screen, or just plain be blank.

Does anyone on here have any ideas or suggestions? Can an external monitor be hooked up to see if the issue resides in the main board or the video board? A new omniturn control requires a new slide as well, totaling over $14K. I read on this forum that a Fagor 8037 is a replacement for this control, however I don't know if it's compatible with this slide.

Thanks for any help at all,
    Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fagor 8025-T non-operational

Call mike Costello at cncnew. great guy to deal with and services the fagor conversions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fagor 8025-T non-operational

Quote Originally Posted by spliteye View Post
    Hello everyone,

first time post here. My name is Dan and I work for a small job shop with two cnc lathes, one is a Hardinge conversion machine with a Fagor 8025-T controller. We are having some strange technical difficulties with it that we are trying to get to the bottom of.

To make a long story a little shorter, the controller went blank one day about a half hour into a job. Upon an attempt of restart, it gave me a bunch of random symbols and Spanish. After a few more attempts, I got it to go through it's general test to find a "Parity T" error, along with years of programs and parameters missing. After that, no more reboot. Only random symbols (with no navigation to main menu), a rectangle in the top left corner of the screen, or just a blank screen and a constant, long beep. After some research, we decided to replace the backup battery, to give it a shot, not knowing what else to do. A company sold us a new battery and gave us parameters and instructions on how to enter them. At first, the machine booted with the Parity T error. I got to the fifth parameter and it stopped letting me enter them. Then, new issues arrived. Here is a list of what showed up upon reboots from then on:

1.) Freeze at the general test page
    2.) Only the upper half of the 8025-T would appear when it does it's general test
    3.) A tool geometry page appeared, completely skipping the general test page
    4.) A position screen appeared, again skipping the test page
    5.) Partial menus at the bottom of the screen, no test page
    6.) Test page or blank screen with the M12 solenoid (collet close?) clicking on and off once or continuously

Now, all I get is the completely blank screen and a long, continuous beep. The keys do beep when pressed and the "three" key on the membrane pad seems to make a solenoid respond. I ended up pulling the control out of the cabinet to view the boards, in an effort to see bulging caps, burned spots, or anything out of the ordinary, but I didn't see anything. I was very careful to not touch the boards to avoid static discharge and I was very careful with disconnecting all cables.

The company we got the battery from has been helpful and suggests that it's possible the video board is out, however I'm confused as of why that would cause random pages to appear upon initial start, rather than the test page. I would think the screen would be rolling from failed caps, only show part of the screen, or just plain be blank.

Does anyone on here have any ideas or suggestions? Can an external monitor be hooked up to see if the issue resides in the main board or the video board? A new omniturn control requires a new slide as well, totaling over $14K. I read on this forum that a Fagor 8037 is a replacement for this control, however I don't know if it's compatible with this slide.

Thanks for any help at all,
    Dan
    Sounds like issues with the memory becoming corrupted, hence parity errors, or worse a hardware error they has not presented itself in form of a displayed error yet. Also sound like your parameters are locked. Unlock with code PKAI0 in the unlock code section of editing (op mode 6).

Failed caps will not result in a rolling display. Rolling screen would be the display frequency parameter or the sync pot on display circuit. If the display is out it can be either a variety of bad components on the display board or a bad microprocessor in terms of video signals.

If your still having the display issues call up Fagor, I heard they can still fix the display circuit.