Fagor 800M

Thread: Fagor 800M

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fagor 800M

I recently aquired a mill with a Fagor 800M control . I would like to connect the control unit to a computer .

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this control and
    with connecting it to a computer and if so , may have some knowledge
    you would be willing to share .

Thank you
    Bruce

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I do not know the specifics for the 800M control. For the 8050M, it is PC based and network ready. The Fagor documentation for the 8050M was very good and gave all information needed. Check you documentation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you tx . One of the Fagor manuals does give a lot of info , unfortunately my
    electronic abilities extends to being able to connect colour coded cables such as
    for hooking up a computer to a monitor , keyboard and mouse . I am kind of hoping
    that someone may be able to 'splain the process of connecting the Fagor to a pc and
    perhaps recommend a good operating program to use . I guess that if all else fails
    then I would need to call a service tech , but I'd like to try to do most , or at least
    some of the job myself - pride of accomplishment and all that silly stuff .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If all of the hardware is there on the Fagor control, you just need a CAT5e network cable and connect it to a computer network. Any IT guy should be able to explain computer networking if you do not know about it. There is no need for additional software. The Fagor control will show up as another computer (hard drive) on the network. You will be able to copy and paste and edit your CNC programs for another computer on the network. You will be able to access other network files on other computers on the network from the Fagor control when you know the directory path.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks . I do have an acquaintance who is well versed in computers ( just not machining ) , so perhaps I will see if he'd have a look in exchange for a 'large double-double' .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. If you computer buddy has ever set up a home network that included assigning DNS numbers/MAC addresses, then he should be able to handle it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Maybe An Easier Option

Hey Guys,
    I have an 8025M and it is decidedly NOT network ready. The 800 series is older than my 15 year old 8025 - so, I'm pretty sure that won't get you going.

What will work is setting up an RS232 connection. You'll need to get yourself a serial cable that will connect the 9 or 25 pin D connector in the back of your 800 controller to the 9 pin serial port on a windows PC. You should see one on the box somewhere.

Now, not just any cable with 9 or 25 pin connectors will work. The pin-out has to be checked - and maybe changed to work with your controller. The step-by-step below will address this.

Once you get the cable connected to the computer, then you download and install WinDNC 5.0 and load it onto a PC type computer.

Start WinDNC and do a few setup steps in WinDNC and you should be able transfer files, etc.

So, to review:
    Step 1 - Download (and save) the manual for the 800M controller FROM HERE You'll need this at some point if you're going to be using this controller. You might already have it.

Step 2 - Also download and save the OEM manual for the Fagor800T controller FROM HERE. I know it is for a turning controller - but the information on the RS232 connection is the same for M or T controllers.

Step# 3 - Review PDF page 55 (of 224) of the Fagor800T OEM manual for info on hooking up the computer to the controller's RS232 connection. Have your buddy help you with this.

Step 4 - Also download and SAVE THIS. It is for the 8040/8055 - but it has good info on setting up an RS232 connection.

Step 5 - Find out if your 800 has input/output connector and what kind (9 or 25 pin and male or female).

Step 6 - Find a computer that has a serial input/output connector and what kind (9 or 25 pin male or female - they are usually 9pin female).

Step 7 - Confrim the pin-out and find a serial cable that will connect one to the other. (Refer to pin-out diagram in Steps 3 and 4 above.)

Step 8 - Download and install WinDNC 5.0 FROM HERE onto a PC.

Step 9 - Got to "setup" in WinDNC and set it up to work with your controller.

Post again if you need more help with any of this.

Hope this helps.
    R/Todd

Last edited by TAProwler; 04-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe the company I was working with added the networking as an option. But when the new machine was rolled in, we plugged in a network cable and went to work. So, I guess it is up to the machine tool builder and what they have added on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ethernet Option

Yeah, on my 8040 controller ethernet is offered as an option - mine doesn't have it. I believe on the 8050/8055/8070 it is a standard "option".

The 8025 is no longer supported by Fagor (as of Jan 2012 - I believe). It and the older 800 series are just too old. In fact, I think they might even pre-date the IEEE standard for ethernet and cat 5 cable!

I find the WinDNC and RS232 connection to provide decent, fairly capable, low-cost option to do file transfers, etc. On my 8040, you can even remotely control the mill from the computer keyboard. Pretty cool!.

No doubt, full network capability would be convenient.

R/Todd

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you tx & TA . Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you sooner , but I've been
    somewhat busy lately and as this is a lower priority project I just haven't had
    the time to follow up on it .

TA - thanks for the step by step . I do have a computer with the serial port connection
    and I also have copies of the manuals , both paper copies and downloaded copies .
    I will have a look at the manuals that you linked .

I'm still wondering if there is anyone on this forum who has done this particular upgrade .
    It would be interesting to hear how they made out .

Bruce

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fagor 800M

Anybody? I need an error list for a G&L 60T with a 800m control. I have an 106 error inhibiting my hydraulics.