Have you ensured that the machine is in the proper home position first?
I had this problem when some moron I work with set bad home locations and did an improper shut down.
Make sure the axis markers are lined up with the indicators, and do the cold start procedure...
1) Press the MANUAL key until the enter next command prompt is displayed
or, from the quick keys menu, press the jog key.
2) Press the JOG key and align each axes at the alignment marks within .05
inches of each other.
3) Press the MANUAL key until the enter next command prompt is displayed.
Type CS and press the ENTER key.
4) Wait. The machine will find the axis origin.
5) This procedure is complete when the move to last home position screen is
a) The last home position will not display if an auto start-up program is
b) The auto start-up program is named O9998. (See auto start up program)
c) After the auto start-up program is finished, the move to Last Home
Position screen will be displayed.
6) Press the START button to begin motion to the last home position
established by the set commands.
1) From the command mode, type “SETCS” and press the ENTER key.
2) Type HO and press the ENTER key.
3) Wait for the light to flash and the word “waiting” to blink on the screen.
Press the START button for the machine to move to the cold start position.
4) On the main power box, place the knife switch in the down (off) position to
power off the VMC.
Note: For SYSTEM 97, follow the power-off procedure as outlined above or;
1) Press the MANUAL button until the control is in the command mode or the
quick keys, edit, or functions menus are displayed on the screen.
2) Power off the machine.