installing usb port on fadal - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installing usb port on fadal

Downloads
    Uploads

What I am thinking about is designing a RS232 wireless interface using a micro-controller, wireless network PCMCIA card and a CPLD. From the Fadal equipment's point of view it is like a normal RS232 connection, no changes needed, from the PC sending the file it works as another Comm port, drivers are required on that PC., if that is not possible, a similar device must be connected on that PC serial port, that device could include a destination selector.

In order to do that I need to know the Fadal's RS232 baud rate, parity, number data bits, number of stop bits, and Flow control type (handshake)

Too many projects
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can get serial to wireless converters from B&B Electronics (http://www.bb-elec.com) which use either generic (WiFi and Bluetooth) or proprietary protocols and are designed to work in an industrial environment. These devices basically make it look like the serial port is attached to the host PC.

Prices typically range from around $250 to over $700 for mesh-style wireless and they have dev kits for around $170 if you are a DIY-type.

DigiKey also has wireless dev kits, if you are so inclined.

HTH,

Chris.

List of parts sources for CNC builders - http://www.CNCsources.net
    Dyna Mechtronics 4400C Conversion - CNC bed mill w/toolchanger to Mach3 conversion - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just get out your zip ties and string up the cables. It's not that hard. For all the hassel of having an error while drip feeding, this should be a no brainer.

For the price your going to pay for anything wireless. I've checked the predator stuff, btw. You might as well save some money too and get the best rs232 cable you can buy, a betatronics I232.

Downloads
    Uploads

what is the advantage of dnc with usb drive over computer?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by billystein View Post
    what is the advantage of dnc with usb drive over computer?
    No wire from comp to machine.
    Comp not tied up.

Don

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CalmotionLLC View Post
    The product stays on the machine. A 1 GB USB disk key is provided. Copy your programs onto the USB disk from your PC. Reinsert the USB disk into our product, from here you have two choices. You can load the program into memory of the CNC, or you can DNC directly off the USB disk. There are a couple of things to keep in mind when running DNC from the USB disk. If subprograms are called, then these subprograms need to reside in the CNC's memory. Subroutines and program redirection can't be used.
    After 2 weeks of failed communications and runaway machine dropping code and scrapping parts on an older but gently used 4020 with a CNC88 I had one of these installed. Best money spent. No more hassles. Good job Calmotion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gentlemen,

Truely the simplest solution is to buy a Calmotion USB interface, and you can carry it from machine to machine each time you need to send in or receive a new program. Rather than walking to the machine twice; once to set up for receiving, then once to come back and see if it was received, then start the program. With the interface, you just post on your CAD/CAM PC to a file on a USB drive, walk out to the machne with the calmotion unit in your hands, plug it into the RS232 port and 110VAC and shoot it in. It will run DNC very well also.

.....or.....route all your 25 pin strait through cables to a switch box(s) in your programming room, and rather than hooking up a 9 pin cable to the serial port of our PC as we typically do, run the port directly to the USB interface right at the switch boxes and once the Fadal is ready to receive, shoot it in from your thumb drive. This is pretty clean. Here's a link to more information about it.

CALMOTION USB-FADAL MEMORY INTERFACE

Last choice was your first one. Ethernet. We are developing a very inexpensive solution for wiring all Fadal machines together via Ethernet and this product will be very easy to install and interface with the Fadal control (you can wire it in yourself then use standard CAT5 cable to wire between all the machines) and each machine should be able to be done for around $300. Keep an eye on our site for the release of this product if you are still interested when we roll it out.

Good luck!

Brian D.
    FadalCNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The simplest way in my opinion is to run an rs-232 cable. If your using Fadal's NC Fadal software you don't have to walk back and forth. If you leave the machine in command mode you can send and recieve files sitting at your computer. The software automaticaly sends the correct commands to the machines control. NC Fadal is the same software Fadal used on the MP32 controls to send programs between the built in pc and the machines control. The software works so good everyone with a Fadal should be using it.

If you have problems with lost data or errors with the rs232 cable then a cable that isolates the ground between the machine and computer is the solution.

I use a betatronics I232 cable. BETATRONICS&reg, I232 Photos page for RS232 to RS232, Noise Immunity, Long Cable, High Baud Rate, DNC, send, receive, simple, isolation, Ethernet, network, RS-232, fast, E232, CAT-5, automatic, upload, download, vendor, supplier, manufacturer, indust

I haven't had any problems with data transmission since I started using this cable. I can also transfer programs at the machines max baud rate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any idea how to make NCFadal work with vista or win 7?

Thanks, Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cousinitt View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any idea how to make NCFadal work with vista or win 7?

Thanks, Paul
    Paul,

It's a dos based program and you are trying to resurrect a dinosaur. I agree that it was very handy in the 90's when is was fresher and less options were available, but now there are hundred of programs on the internet and many are free that can communicate with your Fadal control. Here is one that you are actually paid $5 back with an in-store credit that works very well.

FadalCNC-DNC

You can draw the program into the main screen, edit to your heart's content and save then shoot into any control, and certainly the Fadal control.

Sorry about the NC Fadal deal as it was a very nice utility for sure.

Best of luck!

Brian D.
    FadalCNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pay only $195 then get a credit for $200.

That's just crazy

Funny how the best solution is always the one the salesman is pushing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bronizzle6 View Post
    we currently have 11 fadals connected to a pc through a switch box and the rs232 ports. we are moving buildings and dont want to re run all that wire and wanted to switch to using some sort of memory card. fadal wants 400 dollars for part and 300 to wire in usb port. anyone have any better ideas?
    Bronizzle6,

I feel your pain for sure. While I understand your reluctance to run cables, however any "Reliable" wireless system is expensive. People, including ourselves, tried using inexpensive RS232 wireless devices to network machines in a machine shop, and while we were able to get the system to work at a cost of about $300 per machine, the "Reliabity" was terrible. We had to reset the wireless access point from time to time as well as the receivers and it was just a headache to say the least, so we scrapped the program. Not that we know it all, for sure, but if you persue this avenue successfully, we would love to hear about the system that worked for you and make it available to other Fadal users.

On the other hand, CAT5 cable & Ethernet protocol is very reliable and the connectors are easy to attach, and the convenience of having your machines all on the local network is nice too. We are working on a system for Ethernet that is cheap and easy to install and should have a system put together in the next couple of months that will suit the needs of anyone trying to network their Fadal machines and are penny wise. We do offer a Calmotion option, but I do hear groans of pain when I tell them the cost...which is reasonable considering the convenience, but I do understand the marketplace for these kinds of items.

In the mean time, check out this link to our Calmotion products and maybe after review, the cost may seem more reasonable than other alternatives.

http://www.fadalcnc.com/page.cfm/cal...mory_interface

Cheers!

Brian D.
    FadalCNC

Last edited by ASIGuy; 01-24-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Missing Link

Downloads
    Uploads

We just purchased a couple older 94 fadals. Vmc15 914 and a 4020 and it sounds like calmltion may be the way to go. Our 2002 3016L has a factory usb drive although I haven’t checked max memory since that is newer to us as well. We would like to drip feed from a server since our facility is already networked it is not difficult for us to run some Ethernet off the wall jacks to the cnc’s. For what we want to do would this be the ideal solution? All the controls ar 88hs on the fadals.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmotionLLC View Post
    The product stays on the machine. A 1 GB USB disk key is provided. Copy your programs onto the USB disk from your PC. Reinsert the USB disk into our product, from here you have two choices. You can load the program into memory of the CNC, or you can DNC directly off the USB disk. There are a couple of things to keep in mind when running DNC from the USB disk. If subprograms are called, then these subprograms need to reside in the CNC's memory. Subroutines and program redirection can't be used.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: installing usb port on fadal

buy 3 of everything...to keep 1 of them running...more power Scotty

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    buy 3 of everything...to keep 1 of them running...more power Scotty
    Buy 3 of what?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12