Problem cutting arcs, backlash?

Thread: Problem cutting arcs, backlash?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem cutting arcs, backlash?

I don't usually cut any arcs that matter much but on these particular parts I need nice clean arcs. One of the arcs that I'm cutting looks particularly bad, I really doubt its chatter because the line/marks are perfectly vertical, I don't hear any screeching, the lines/marks are identical from part to part, and I did this same cut on a smaller mill before without any issues. At first I thought it was a backlash since I have .0040 - .0055 compensated on the x and y axes. But upon further reading and thought I'm not sure this is the case, their is no mark at the quadrant/3 o'clock position and their are marks throughout the arc. The worst of the marks is about .050 after the 3 o'clock position, could that be attributed to backlash?

From my reading the possibilities could include servo loop gain, axis balance, and the resolvers. Does anyone have any suggestions? How do I check if they are bad or calibrate them? And also how do I check the gibbs and straps?

I should also mention that this is a VMC40 with a 88HS.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

To minimize backlash or gib issues, try moving the work to the end of the table where things are less worn.

To minimize chatter, just in case that's it, try using a much smaller dia cutter, designed for the material and cutting conditions you're using...or change your cutting conditions appropriately.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    To minimize backlash or gib issues, try moving the work to the end of the table where things are less worn.

To minimize chatter, just in case that's it, try using a much smaller dia cutter, designed for the material and cutting conditions you're using...or change your cutting conditions appropriately.
    Thanks, I'm using the whole table and can't move the work and I know its not chatter so changing end mills or work holding won't help.

Downloads
    Uploads

it could be backlash and/or lag in your axis motor drives

try a smaller tool and slow down the cutter at the arcs

you also can try cutting the arc point to point

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMachine View Post
    Thanks, I'm using the whole table and can't move the work and I know its not chatter so changing end mills or work holding won't help.
    If it's not chatter then it's not a backlash problem. Excessive backlash is what allows chatter.

Without seeing the code, we're safe in assuming that you have a continuous arc and not a series of G1 moves that simulate an arc?
    Are the lines perfectly vertical and uniform?
    You're not re-cutting chips?

...and I know this is stretching it, but are you getting good lube to the table? Stick-slip can give you strange patterns when the lube system fails in a way type machine.

Btw, I found that often sticking a G8 in the first line of the feed move was helping give smoother cuts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

we are having the same problem with out fadal 4020 straight cuts on the x or y axis are good but when we do arcs they look stepped even though the code is point to point It looks as though the x and y aren't in sync is there any way to check the synchronization

Downloads
    Uploads

.004.005 is too much backlash. You need to get your ballscrews rebuilt at a minimum and new linear rails and trucks at a maximum. The Fadal resolver also may be at fault to which there is a updated resolver available however with that kind of backlash your going to get rough arcs no matter what. IIRC the minimum movement of a fadal is .00005.

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.