Need Help! Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing

I completely agree. Keep it Cat. Much easier to find used tooling and usually cheaper. You can still put a BT40 in the spindle by the way, but don't do a tool change. You can also use a screw driver to bend the clips back in a bit to get them to hold the tool better.
    Also, the 1/8" roll pins that hold the clips in will sometimes wear out and get lose.

Damn! Rodney beat me to the screwdriver trick.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    I completely agree. Keep it Cat. Much easier to find used tooling and usually cheaper. You can still put a BT40 in the spindle by the way, but don't do a tool change. You can also use a screw driver to bend the clips back in a bit to get them to hold the tool better.
    Also, the 1/8" roll pins that hold the clips in will sometimes wear out and get lose.

Damn! Rodney beat me to the screwdriver trick.
    Haha that’s a good trick to know. I appreciate both of your answers. Seems like the consensus say to keep it cat40. I’ll be tooling up the machine but I won’t be back home till April to install it and replace bearings and get it running parts.

Just need to know about the clearance issues because of it having extended z travel. The manual doesn’t show heights for the extended travel machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

The XT refers to the Xtra table size in the X axis.38" as opposed to 29.5" in the VMC15. Here is the spec page.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fadal vmc 15xt losing parameters and what to look for purchasing-01specificationpages-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a great resource for manuals;
    http://www.fadalcnc.com/tech-docs/

Downloads
    Uploads

The XT refers to the Xtra table size in the X axis.38" as opposed to 29.5" in the VMC15. Here is the spec page.
    No this is an extended z travel also.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what it refers too. Check out the different specs in the manual. Both the 15 and the 15XT had the 28" Z option. same 30" travel in X but longer table on the XT. ( I have 7 Fadal's so I'm pretty familiar with them) Getting the extended Z is just another bonus.
    What are your plans for it? Hobby work or side job?

Downloads
    Uploads

That's what it refers too. Check out the different specs in the manual. Both the 15 and the 15XT had the 28" Z option. same 30" travel in X but longer table on the XT. ( I have 7 Fadal's so I'm pretty familiar with them) Getting the extended Z is just another bonus.
    What are your plans for it? Hobby work or side job?
    I was wondering how much taller the extended option is? I will be going into a shop that I’ve yet to build but until then my plan was to have it in my brothers garage but it has a 7’ standard garage door. I’m just really hoping it will fit in. Once inside he has plenty of clearance it’s just getting through that door that will prove difficult.

It is really a hobby but there are some Plans for the machine are to make parts for my brothers company made some of them on my 2 axis excello “project” so far so this is gonna be a real upgrade. Not much stuff though but my father wants to learn to use the machines. I program them and stuff but hopefully he can learn to be an operator so we can get some more stuff made.

Since I’m quite far away living in SoCal I’m not very hands on with the machines. I only get 30 days of leave a year and most of that time I’m cleaning the machines and performing repairs. I’ll be back home in 2 years and then hopefully this will become a bit more serious.

Anybody got surplus tooling for sale cheap?

Downloads
    Uploads

Have the Z head jogged down as far as it will go but resting on a block of wood. As far as getting it into your garage, You can remove the 4 bolts that hold the Z axis motor onto the thrust block and lay it over on it's side without removing any wires. Just make sure you strap it down GOOD so it doesn't fall off and pull out the wiring. This will gain you quite a bit of room.
    As far as tooling goes, Check ebay for used tooling. Sometimes you can find it with a Fadal specific retention knob. Look for tooling with a nice surface where the taper is. It can be a crap shoot on quality so see if the seller accepts returns if you get something suspect.

One more thing.The extended Z axis uses a different way cover than the standard.

Last edited by Tedger; 02-14-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have the Z head jogged down as far as it will go but resting on a block of wood. As far as getting it into your garage, You can remove the 4 bolts that hold the Z axis motor onto the thrust block and lay it over on it's side without removing any wires. Just make sure you strap it down GOOD so it doesn't fall off and pull out the wiring. This will gain you quite a bit of room.
    As far as tooling goes, Check ebay for used tooling. Sometimes you can find it with a Fadal specific retention knob. Look for tooling with a nice surface where the taper is. It can be a crap shoot on quality so see if the seller accepts returns if you get something suspect.

One more thing.The extended Z axis uses a different way cover than the standard.
    Thankyou for the info we’ll see next week if it fits.
    Thankyou for the info on the cover too. For some reason the seller removed this cover from all his machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

You will also have to un-bolt the z axis cable track and lay it on its side to fit through a 7' overhead door. My guess is the opening is smaller then 7' probably more like 6' 8-10"if it a standard residential garage door. It still should fit with head all the way down, remove z Axis motor and cable chain. Mine fit with 1" or so to spare . but have standard Z travel. Make sure the counter weight is secured ,during transport. Easily done with 2 pieces of 1/2" black pipe about 12-18" long. These are placed through the two holes in column and through the counter weight and through holes on opposite side of column (machine will need to be powered to line up holes)
    Another experience i will share is that most lift trucks that are capable of unloading machine from truck will not fit through garage door, due to height of mast. So you will be able to place inside garage but will need a plan to move further. If you don't have access to machine moving skates, you could use several 4' lengths of pipe to roll machine on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    You will also have to un-bolt the z axis cable track and lay it on its side to fit through a 7' overhead door. My guess is the opening is smaller then 7' probably more like 6' 8-10"if it a standard residential garage door. It still should fit with head all the way down, remove z Axis motor and cable chain. Mine fit with 1" or so to spare . but have standard Z travel. Make sure the counter weight is secured ,during transport. Easily done with 2 pieces of 1/2" black pipe about 12-18" long. These are placed through the two holes in column and through the counter weight and through holes on opposite side of column (machine will need to be powered to line up holes)
    Another experience i will share is that most lift trucks that are capable of unloading machine from truck will not fit through garage door, due to height of mast. So you will be able to place inside garage but will need a plan to move further. If you don't have access to machine moving skates, you could use several 4' lengths of pipe to roll machine on.
    Was yours the extended z travel machine? If it wasn’t I may be in a bad position.

I need to see a picture of the back of your machine from what i can see from the pictures you posted i am almost certain you do not have an Extended Z travel.

Extended Z axis you add 8 inches to the machine height. You are stationed in SoCal We have a 15xt if you need to stop buy our shop for measurements we are in Chatsworth, CA. Company is Index Designs. We mfg. Rotary tables for Old Fadals and for New Fadals . To fit through the door you will most likely have to remove everything off the top of the column. Total height to the top of the column with everything removed is Bare mininmum will be around 81 inches. If you have extended Z

Downloads
    Uploads

Well it’s in it’s temporary spot now. A little dirtier than I first thought. Servo coolant already got removed as the bracket fell off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tight fit! do you still have the servo coolant control bracket?

Downloads
    Uploads

Tight fit! do you still have the servo coolant control bracket?
    I have the nosle and stuff but just missing a small bracket to mount it.

i might have a set of brackets if you want them. To reattach to the head.

Wow that was a snug fit, but yea its in all right

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea it was a tight fit. I’ll get back to you on the bracket I may just make one.

A couple questions of anybody knows

What is the air filter for the spindle assembly?

VMC15 X axis thrust bearing kit Bearings already have the grease picture does not show it but they are https://itscnc.com/brg-kit-p-73.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Yea it was a tight fit. I’ll get back to you on the bracket I may just make one.

A couple questions of anybody knows

What is the air filter for the spindle assembly?
    Fadal offered an air filter kit that sat atop the spindle (MTR-0128). You could also make one yourself with a properly sized auto air filter and a round piece of sheet metal with some longer fan bolts. I had one on one of my machines but only found it helpfull if I milled any wooden material.

Last edited by Tedger; 02-22-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast