Need Help! Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter fault

Thread: Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter fault

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter fault

Hey all,
    I have a fadal VMC 40 That when you try to start it up, everything goes ok until you try to orient or run the spindle it throws a inverter fault message. We thought that the contactor may be bad and changed it out but it still throws the error message. Machine was running good until this issue. I'm in the Memphis TN area, anyone know who may work on these? Or have any ideas on how to fix?

Mits FR-Z320-7.5K-UL
    VMC 40
    10k spindle

Thanks
    JG

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter fault

Call calmotion.com they can tell you if its the inverter. looking for a fadal guy call either Ronnell Machine Repair ask for Ron Sanders or Bluegrass Machinery ask for Sam McKinney

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks,
    I've reached out to Calmotion this am, Ill go from there.

Found contact info for Bluegrass but not Ronnell

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jg-gonzo View Post
    Hey all,
    I have a fadal VMC 40 That when you try to start it up, everything goes ok until you try to orient or run the spindle it throws a inverter fault message. We thought that the contactor may be bad and changed it out but it still throws the error message. Machine was running good until this issue. I'm in the Memphis TN area, anyone know who may work on these? Or have any ideas on how to fix?

Mits FR-Z320-7.5K-UL
    VMC 40
    10k spindle

Thanks
    JG
    My 4020 has this same drive and it gave me some trouble too. Do you have the parameter unit? This will tell you exactly what the error is, and allow you to adjust settings within the drive. Mine didnt come with it but i found one on ebay for $50 or so. Also the PDF manual for this drive is floating around on the net, lots of info there. If you cant find it message me and ill send it.

First problem I had with mine was it overloading at low rpm (and orientating), I fixed this by changing the torque boost value. This made a huge difference to the spindle loadmeter and no more alarms. This is a parameter of the spindle drive itself, nothing to do with the fadal control. Around the same time I was messing with this, the drive totally died on me at one point. I measured voltage on capacitors and got nothing, ended up being a bad charge resistor. Found a replacement on Digikey for around $20, changed it out and was up and running again. Wasnt too hard to change it out.

Been running the machine for about a year and a half since and its been working great. I've heard of a few issues with these drives in fadals but Mitsubishi makes great electronics, hopefully it lasts me a while yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got the same FR-Z320 on my FADAL and the fault I keep getting is a E.PE fault on my parameter unit. I've ordered a new parameter unit and plan on changing it out when it arrives. Any other suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss1958 View Post
    I've got the same FR-Z320 on my FADAL and the fault I keep getting is a E.PE fault on my parameter unit. I've ordered a new parameter unit and plan on changing it out when it arrives. Any other suggestions?
    Dont sound good. Manual says a short between pins 5 and 10 or the EEPROM faulty. Good luck with it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter  fault-untitled-jpg   Fadal VMC 40 mits freqrol-z300 inverter  fault-untitled2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Bump

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Dont sound good. Manual says a short between pins 5 and 10 or the EEPROM faulty. Good luck with it.

Ended up calling a tech and having the Freq controller replaced.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jg-gonzo View Post
    Ended up calling a tech and having the Freq controller replaced.
    How much did that end up costing?