Need Help! Tool Changer Turret Won't Rotate Until Machine Warms Up

Thread: Tool Changer Turret Won't Rotate Until Machine Warms Up

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Changer Turret Won't Rotate Until Machine Warms Up

Got a 2004 3016 which is having tool changer problems. When I first start the machine, and enter CS, the tool changer will rotate slightly stop with a thud and then error out. If I try to manually rotate either way using the pendent, the same will occur. With the covers off, I can see the motor move maybe an 1/8 of a turn or so when it does this. Sometimes I will see the motor stutter and basically go stop go stop go until it errors out. Over the course of 10 minutes or so if I keep trying to rotate the carousel, slowly over time it will start rotating more and more in both directions until it works no problem. Once it's working, I never have an issue.

It's not bound up and I've confirmed the mechanical resistance in the mechanism is the same when cold or after it is fully working.

If I start the machine and do absolutely nothing but let it warm up for about 10 minutes, I can hit CS and it will home no problem.

I've replaced the motor encoder, mechanical relay's, solid state relays, and cleaned and reseated each connector. Plus I've inspected the cabling and jiggled what I can without an affect.

It's odd how it will heal itself over time which has me wondering if it's something with a component on a board that's thermally expanding. This behavior is also very repeatable. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.