1995 or later Fadal or Haas VF-3. Some general Q's on a 95 4020 and how built.

Thread: 1995 or later Fadal or Haas VF-3. Some general Q's on a 95 4020 and how built.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1995 or later Fadal or Haas VF-3. Some general Q's on a 95 4020 and how built.

Hi Everyone! Beautiful day here in Mid Michigan.
    Lots to ask and will try to be brief. My son and I are looking on an evolution of his shop space & college work. We are looking based on what we can afford. A mid 90's to later 90's Haas or Fadal 4020 or VF-3. Haas publishes a lot of information on their website new and old. On the Fadal site (Technical Docs | Manuals & Diagrams | FadalCNC.com).
    For both, I cannot really find engineering tech stuff. Like how they position? What is the resolution of positional accuracy? Do they use rotary encoders, or scales on the tables? What are the counts per revolution, resolution of linear scales. Glass or Magnetic, etc. Maybe some folks here know where to get those types of Q's answered? Which one is better engineered?

1) Positional accuracy and how position data is sent to the controller:
    a) On the Haas, I have been told they use their positional encoders on the motor spindles. No linear scales?
    b) For the Fadal, I cannot find info either way. Someone said external linear scales, another said that is an option? Did not know if glass or Magnetic. anyone know? An example, I can step 1-ten (.0001) on my SuperMax knee mill & controller w/ a Mitityou gauge and see the tens movement w/ my high res encoders and modern upgrade Centroid controller (which I did)

2) Machines from the mid to late 90's... typical accuracy?
    a) We have a few 95 or greater Fadal's we are looking over. One in particular is through spindle coolant, Pre-wire 4th and 5th. It is all DC motors and is all discrete TTL based electronics. 9 or 10 large PC boards, Lots O' chips! Pots all over. etc. We can play with it under power. The vendor is 30-mins away and willing to help my Son get the best machine of their lot. Are these types of machines good to a 1/2 -1 thou or better? Can you step along down to the tens level? I simply do not know the larger machine tech.

b) A 96-98 Haas VF-3. Same Q's as above. Are these good to 1/2 -1 thou? Are the controllers about the same tech as the Fadal with large PC's boards and card slots & cages?

c) The 4020 only has 422K memory onboard... I guess you drop-feed on the RS-232? Can I upgrade that, or do a 232 to USB converter to USB on the lappy?

3) Anyone out there that can compare these two types or 90's machines?
    a)If ya have opinions or know of the machines in general and just want to comment on your experiences for Fadal or Haas.... please feel free. (And I am searching the archive). I don't mean to start a this -vs- that. Only highlight why Fadal over Haas I guess on the Fadal forum.

THANKS everyone.