More blocks/sec from a 1400-5 vs. 1400-4?

Thread: More blocks/sec from a 1400-5 vs. 1400-4?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default More blocks/sec from a 1400-5 vs. 1400-4?

I'm running newer trochoidal tool paths. I have solidcam / imachining. I overrun my buffer pretty quick when using it. running from memory vs. dnc makes a tiny bit of difference, but really running from memory isn't more usable than dnc in a practical sense - i still overrun my buffer. I'm only able to run at about 3/8 on the imachining settings without overrun.

another thing is that when running those kind of tool paths you get a lot of helical ramp too short errors. I've dealt with that by modding my post quite a lot to where I slow down the feed rate for moves with tight curvature. that works ok but you still come across the odd helical ramp error.

i also have an AFF option board. AFF only runs good with G1 moves. it goes all f*cked up if you program an arc. I typically run AFF with small G1 moves. I set the G1 move res to like 0.004", the aff is set to like 0.01", and I always leave 12 thou on the walls for a finish cut. this kind of setup seems to maximize the feeds that i can run without overloading the buffer.

I'm interested in knowing if you get more blocks/sec out of a -5 card setup. right now i have -4 cards. my machine is DC servos, 4 axis, and i put 101.3 software on it myself so i could run probe stuff over DNC

why else bother with -5 cards?

Similar Threads:

Default Re: More blocks/sec from a 1400-5 vs. 1400-4?

You could always go with a watch some of the surfacing speed and accuracy

Downloads
    Uploads

this looks pretty cool, but it raises plenty of questions..

exactly what does the retrofit accomplish? the menu's look exact. so, does this new control simply run the old proms (or the contents of them anyway)? or does it implement new motion control algorithms. like, can it do look ahead and spline interpolation? its a lot of money, and the guts of it are pretty vaguely stated. its 'just a retrofit' or something. what kind of parameters can be tweaked with?

what about reliability? there are loads of fadal spares available out there so if my old ctrl goes down, its OK.

Downloads
    Uploads

if you take a look at nexgen cnc (which is made by one of the fadal original family members) it is a serious control retrofit.

I'd pay maybe $1800 for the calmotion upgrade to give it a try - no way id pay 7 grand... I did talk to the nexgen guys and it is more expensive than the calmotion to be fair, but i'd just save a little more and get the nexgen one as far as i can tell.

Calmotion control (is made by one of the fadal original family members also) Their control all new boards except one (cant remember which one) all plug into the same motherboard about a 15 minute job. So if you had to go back 15 minutes back to the original cards. Yeah 8k is an expensive pill to swallow lol. Maybe they have a special. Original Fadal CPU -5 with warranty atleast $1500 all new -5 or -6 axis cards $1200-1500 x 3 with the software. $3600-4500. Just those cards would be $5100-6000. Although you might be able to get used on Ebay for less if you can find them and they work or have the software