Problem Spindle will not turn below 225 rpm

Thread: Spindle will not turn below 225 rpm

Exclamation Spindle will not turn below 225 rpm

I'm having issues with a Baldor ( ZD18H220Y/D 15H 10K rpm) on my 1996 6030 Fadal. I suspect it is related to a low speed issue. The spindle will run and stop as normal, but I can't get the spindle to turn slower than 225 rpm. I first noticed the issue when it would not index for a tool change. I can see the lights on the controller alternating between fwd and rev while trying to index the spindle for a tool change, but the spindle doesn't move. Eventually it gives up and shows "Orientation Failure". I did replace the encoder on the motor and it didn't make a difference. I also tested the hall effect switch and it is working also. Any ideas?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle will not turn below 225 rpm

Orientation factor is set in your SETP area but I dont think that will help you. Is this a new to you machine?

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Default Re: Spindle will not turn below 225 rpm

I've had the machine since it was new. I did verify the orientation factor hasn't changed.

I suspect it is the Baldor controller. I hoped that someone else had the same issue and it was less expensive fix than repairing or replacing the motor controller. Pratec charges $1100 plus parts, which I think is a bit high when I can buy a new upgraded controller for $2500.