Need Help! Problem Swapping Fadal Spindle Control Cards

Thread: Problem Swapping Fadal Spindle Control Cards

Default Problem Swapping Fadal Spindle Control Cards

I've got a Fadal VMC3016 and an older VMC4020. The 3016 supports rigid tapping, and it has a 1010-5E spindle control card, but it will remain down for an extended period of time due to mechanical issues. The 4020 has a Baldor vector drive with an encoder on the motor, but it has a 1010-1A spindle control card that doesn't support rigid tapping.

My understanding is that all I need on the 4020 to support rigid tapping would be a 1010-4 or later axis control card with rigid tapping EPROMs and the additional cable that goes from the vector drive to the card. Seeing as I have all that on the 3016, I tried swapping the 1010-5E spindle control card into the 4020.

The result: The machine starts up and appears to function. I can turn on the spindle. But in less than a minute of running with absolutely no load, the spindle overloads, triggering the emergency stop. Swapping the original 1010-1A card makes the problem go away.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem Swapping Fadal Spindle Control Cards

I believe your CPU card is too early of a version to support the 1010-5E spindle card. Here is a link to Fadal card compatability
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/A...patibility.pdf

Last edited by Tedger; 06-08-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Tedger View Post
    I believe your CPU card is too early of a version to support the 1010-5E spindle card. Here is a link to Fadal card compatability
    https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/A...patibility.pdf
    Thanks!

I checked, and the CPU card is a 1400-4. I don't see the 1010-5E in the matrix listed in that PDF, but the 1010-5S (is that a typo?) is compatible with the 1400-4. So I think I'm OK, at least in this regard.

Downloads
    Uploads

There were specific spindle cards. To have rigid tapping you need the encoder, the rigid tapping software on the drive and wire from encoder to spindle drive, the encoder line from spindle to axis board, spindle card 1010-4 or 1010-5 with the correct jumpers and change it is your SETP parameters. Some machines that are AC will have AC tapping eeproms that will NOT work with DC drive systems BECAUSE the encoder count on the motor is different.

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

You could also try if your not using the 3016 Swap all the Cards into the 4020. Just look at the SETP on the 3016 and set them into the 4020 of course select the 40x20 travels instead of the 30 x 16

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the software version of the CPU?