4020 cutting speeds

Thread: 4020 cutting speeds

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4020 cutting speeds

I've heard lots of people tell me these things are really slow, but I can't imagine they are as slow as everyone makes them seen. I get that is not a jap mill and it's kinda old but what can I really expect, I'd really appreciate your input.

I'd love to hear some numbers that current owners of 1990's-03 4020's use in aluminum, WOC, DOC, IPM? Using 2D and 3D Adaptive ops how fast can you remove material, aluminum in particular is what I'm interested in. Do you have problems running tight small parts off, back and forth etc?

Thanks so much, I really don't want a robodrill..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Default Re: 4020 cutting speeds

This a 1986 4020 I got off ebay for like 10k 5 years ago. Low sheetmetal chips a flying, this a regular spindle motor 15hp and regular Hi-Lo belt drive. It is not a HT (high torque) But if the machine is mechanically sound, and has a good spindle and inverter (like the Glentek vector drive) this is what you can expect. Good spindle and the right carbide insert cutter (3 flute) mirror finish. Cut 2.75 wide .16 deep 7000rpm 60ipm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQ4KPe8zjE

This machine also cuts steel better than expected solid machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    This a 1986 4020 I got off ebay for like 10k 5 years ago. Low sheetmetal chips a flying, this a regular spindle motor 15hp and regular Hi-Lo belt drive. It is not a HT (high torque) But if the machine is mechanically sound, and has a good spindle and inverter (like the Glentek vector drive) this is what you can expect. Good spindle and the right carbide insert cutter (3 flute) mirror finish. Cut 2.75 wide .16 deep 7000rpm 60ipm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hQ4KPe8zjE

This machine also cuts steel better than expected solid machine.
    That's humming right along!! What kind if shell mill is that? I have a particular part I'm using a ShearHog to remove 0.150in DOC but it leaves a list finish so I have to go back over it with a fly cutter. ..sucks..

This cutter has been around for 30+ years it was the goto 3fl carbide facemill Fadal used in the 80's and 90's all their Aluminum demo's they used to remove aluminum at 80cu. ipm at the shows with this cutter. MUCH faster than the video i posted. The best HP rpm on a Fadal 10,000 rpm spindle is between 7500-7800 after that the torque begins to drop off nature of the beast. here is a link to the cutter sometime you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap i bought mine for $175.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01230499

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    This cutter has been around for 30+ years it was the goto 3fl carbide facemill Fadal used in the 80's and 90's all their Aluminum demo's they used to remove aluminum at 80cu. ipm at the shows with this cutter. MUCH faster than the video i posted. The best HP rpm on a Fadal 10,000 rpm spindle is between 7500-7800 after that the torque begins to drop off nature of the beast. here is a link to the cutter sometime you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap i bought mine for $175.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01230499
    80cu/min is cool with me. I'm wondering about how fast I vs an get it to move, with an adaptive path with an end mill for example. I know I'm going to be able to take a big bite but in some cases I'm not going to be able to hold small parts well enough to take big bites so I'm going to want it to move. The fastest I've seen anyone push an adaptive tool path is about 250ipm but he has to loosen up the tolerances and archs quite a bit to her the machine to go that fast. That just seems really slow to me, I could be wrong, but I have been looking at different Haas machines, vf1/2/3's from 1995-08 and they are listed with cutting feed rates of around 500ipm generally but I haven't seen anyone cutting half that fast, especially without HSM Option on and I've heard from a few people that the Haas machines are not very fast even with HSM.