Need Help! PCB-0200 Axis switch

Thread: PCB-0200 Axis switch

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PCB-0200 Axis switch

Thanks in advance for taking a look. So my axis selection switch started going out in my pendant, and my machine has the PCB-0200 board which means the switch is soldered on, not a huge deal, i was able to find one and ordered it but its a couple weeks out. Long story short I was going to just take the knob off and use the keyboard to select which axis I wanted to jog but the owner decided to come take a look, and by look i mean grab the switch with two pairs of channel locks and twist back and forth . This made the machine not let me even be able to get into jog mode. With fingers crossed and high hopes I de-soldered the now mangled switch from the board hoping to be able to go to my original plan of using the keyboard, but to no avail. I really can't wait to get the machine back up as the parts are already piling up, is there any way to put a temporary jumper between any of the 13 solder points on the board to get my up and running till the new switch comes in? Or am I screwed and just going to have to wait. I tried to find a breakdown of the board but all I can seem to find is listings for the board itself. Thanks again for reading.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCB-0200 Axis switch

Well i got the switch and soldered the new one in but its not switching to the Y axis. I took the board out and double checked all the solder joints, i can't see a problem. I guess I'll pull the board and check them all again.

Downloads
    Uploads

First make sure the owner stays in the office and take his channel locks away!

Then look for a broken trace on the board. Who knows what damage was done with that much torque on the board.

Downloads
    Uploads

had a quick search for the circuit diagram of the pcb-0200 board but didn't find any information - just this photo

PCB-0200 Axis switch-pcb-0200-board-jpg

could not believe the price of a replacement !!!
    some web sites gave the PCB-0286 as a replacement at £865 !! ( about half the price of the PCB 0200)
    still an intensive to fix your board

looking at the photo found on the web
    I'd guess its likely that one or more vias (plated through holes) are open circuit on tracks that pass under the switch

John

Last edited by john-100; 02-03-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree on the replacement cost, especially since the ELE-1479 switch I replaced was only $50, I did just figure out my problem and remedied it also. I slightly tore the circuit track most likely during removal, all I did was scratch a little more of the coating off and extend the solder joint to cover the torn area and it now have full switch function.

Downloads
    Uploads

well done a great result

did you just bridge the break with solder ?

Kynar wire is very often used for track repairs and / or mods

PCB-0200 Axis switch-kynar-wire-jpg

| RS Pro Red, 50m Kynar Hook Up Wire, 0.05 mm

at one time I helped maintain both a Quantel paint box and Quantel digital library store

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantel

after several years replacement hard drives became a problem-
    the new SCSI hard drives were too big and as a result
    Quantel sent a new drive , a set of EPROMS with new firmware and detailed instructions to cut and rewire tracks with Kynar wire

not a job for the faint hearted !

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that sounds a lot more in depth than what I did, the switch has 13 posts that need soldered, and you need a small soldering iron tip and fine gauge solder, but rewiring tracks sounds like it would definitely be more nerve wracking. The tear was right where the tracking met the thru-hole in the board, only 1/8" in length, i did tack a single strand of copper wire down before extending the joint for good measure, not sure if that made the difference or not though.