New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!

Thread: New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!

Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a Fadal VMC 15 with HS88 controller from a technical college. It's in amazing shape, very well maintained.....not even a tool mark on the bed! I'm at ground zero and looking to tool this machine up right....the 1st time.

Many years ago, I worked on CNC's (Mori Seiki, Mazak, Brother)....and left the industry when the "race to the cheapest provider" began. It left me with a horrible experience financially, but it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I ever had. It was a wise decision financially, but there was no greater pleasure than making a part that few could (it just stunk doing it for peanuts).

My focus is to tool up my machine with 100% American made. I've looked around from what I remember, but have absolutely no idea who actually makes their tools here in the United States. I've read "American made", but find in some cases it's imported steel, then ground or just assembled here. I'm looking for 100% made by Americans....tooling and gauges.....literally, I have a set of Brown and Sharpe calipers from 25 years ago....that's it!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Bob

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!-9967fb50-cade-41cf-bbca-4d6843ad74a9-jpg   New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!-dedc028a-2222-4e0d-a5ea-b849f685c750-jpg   New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!-d60f06f6-7d1b-4922-84bd-c26db75c4f3a-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!

CAT40 tool holders from Command tool USA are quite possible the worlds best. Don't buy what you don't need but maybe 4 drill chucks, 8 ER32 collet holders, a facemill (2-2.5"), 2 ea endmill holders 1/2" 5/8" 3/4". That should get you started.

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    CAT40 tool holders from Command tool USA are quite possible the worlds best. Don't buy what you don't need but maybe 4 drill chucks, 8 ER32 collet holders, a facemill (2-2.5"), 2 ea endmill holders 1/2" 5/8" 3/4". That should get you started.
    Thank you sir. I believe they're owned by a foreign company. Any US owned tool companies making their product here? Kennemetal maybe or the like?

Maritool says they're US made, plant is close to me.....any experience with them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Have bought from Maritool. Great products and customer service.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Have bought from Maritool. Great products and customer service.
    Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

+1 for Maritool. The maritool 1/2in. hotmills for dry milling steel are a new favorite of mine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Starret made in China! I almost fell over when ordering a 1/10 dial indicator.....canceled purchase! Any good dial indicators still made in America?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use lots of Maritool products, I an very happy with everything, including service. You can check out their instagram page and see they are sharing video and pics of their machining processes, for tool holders etc, they are always getting new bad ass equipment as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    I use lots of Maritool products, I an very happy with everything, including service. You can check out their instagram page and see they are sharing video and pics of their machining processes, for tool holders etc, they are always getting new bad ass equipment as well.

I just placed a small order with them. They're located close to me, might stop in to see how they manufacturer their tools.

Thank you for the advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcatbob View Post
    I just placed a small order with them. They're located close to me, might stop in to see how they manufacturer their tools.

Thank you for the advice
    You'll be happy, they have always surpassed my expectations and their prices are pottery dam Good as far as I've seen. Check out their instagram feed, they recently got some new machines that are pretty cool, lots of pics...I'd go by if I were close for sure, I bet if you call ahead they might even show you around a little.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcatbob View Post

Thank you for the advice
    If you are that close to Maritool, you must be in my neck of the woods. Also running a vmc15.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cut my first part! Amazing where CAD/CAM is today (used Fusion 360). Tooled up entirely with Maritool......Very impressed with their quality, American made (pricing was excellent as well).

Oops...picture upside down....It's Apples fault!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Fadal VMC 15 owner....tooling up!-e61bc548-f471-475d-be28-2dd154218f69-jpg