Fadal Assist troubleshooting

Thread: Fadal Assist troubleshooting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal Assist troubleshooting

I just got my hands on two old VMC machines (4020 and 3016). The machines seem to be working just fine as far as I can tell. All the buttons seem to work, and I have tested a few simple g-code programs. However, I have not been able to get the machines to communicate with a PC.

I have a Linux computer (running ubuntu 10.4 with linuxcnc on it) that runs the Dosbox emulator. I was able to install the Fadal Assist program, configure the serial port and test the serial port access.

If I select (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (1) USING THE TEST PLUG (PINS 2 AND 3 JUMPERED), the PC passes the test. This means that Fadal Assist can access the serial port, read and write to it.

However, if I run (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (2) SENDING TO THE VMC'S RS232 PORT (A CYCLE TEST), I get no answer from the VMC. All I get is timeouts. The baud rates on both the VMC and the PC are set at 9600.

Now, I have ran the same test on both machines with the same results. Both machines were in manual command mode. What am I missing?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That test requires the dummy plug to be put on the the RS232 port. You run the test and what happens is it posts characters on the screen. Basicaly tests the transmit from the machine. The dummy plug is usually in the main cabinet with a plastic box of fuses..

Quote Originally Posted by sergiu tofanel View Post
    I just got my hands on two old VMC machines (4020 and 3016). The machines seem to be working just fine as far as I can tell. All the buttons seem to work, and I have tested a few simple g-code programs. However, I have not been able to get the machines to communicate with a PC.

I have a Linux computer (running ubuntu 10.4 with linuxcnc on it) that runs the Dosbox emulator. I was able to install the Fadal Assist program, configure the serial port and test the serial port access.

If I select (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (1) USING THE TEST PLUG (PINS 2 AND 3 JUMPERED), the PC passes the test. This means that Fadal Assist can access the serial port, read and write to it.

However, if I run (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (2) SENDING TO THE VMC'S RS232 PORT (A CYCLE TEST), I get no answer from the VMC. All I get is timeouts. The baud rates on both the VMC and the PC are set at 9600.

Now, I have ran the same test on both machines with the same results. Both machines were in manual command mode. What am I missing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal Assist troubleshooting

Ok, I found the "official" Fadal test plug. It's a female DB25 connector. My understanding is that I connect this plug to the computer side (VMC disconnected). This runs the
    (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (1) USING THE TEST PLUG (PINS 2 AND 3 JUMPERED) test.

What is the procedure for the
    (3) UTILITIES --> (3) TEST RS-232 --> (2) SENDING TO THE VMC'S RS232 PORT (A CYCLE TEST) test?

Default Re: Fadal Assist troubleshooting

are you using the TA,1 on the fadal prepares machine for input? and then send from computer. Or go to Calmotion.com and get the USB interface pretty easy to use and setup. also operator manual is here http://www.flintmachine.com/pdfs/fad...atorManual.pdf