Need Help! Fadal VMC4020 Emergency Stop Error

Thread: Fadal VMC4020 Emergency Stop Error

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fadal VMC4020 Emergency Stop Error

Hello, I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help me to find out what has gone wrong with our Fadal VMC4020. It is from 1997 and is model number 906-1 ( serial 9710288 ). The machine was working fine until for some reason the turret would intermittently stop working. We checked the windings in the motor and the turret mechanism itself and both seem to be in working order. We then could still use it without the turret but then shortly thereafter it came up with an emergency button alarm that wont clear ( does it from start-up ). We checked emergency button and it is fine but when you hit Jog to clear the error it waits for a moment says that it is trying to reset the axis drivers and then claims that the emergency switch has been activated. I'm quite sure both problems are interconnected but don't know where to start to find the problem. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fadal VMC4020 Emergency Stop Error

What do you mean by "turret?"

One issue I just fixed on my Fadal was one of the magnetic reed limit switches stopped working on the tool changer. See if you can trace through the limit switches and give the faces a cleaning. Let me know what the "turret" is and I'll see if I can offer any more help.

Good luck.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    What do you mean by "turret?"

One issue I just fixed on my Fadal was one of the magnetic reed limit switches stopped working on the tool changer. See if you can trace through the limit switches and give the faces a cleaning. Let me know what the "turret" is and I'll see if I can offer any more help.

Good luck.

Thanks Warrenb, I did mean the tool changer when I said turret. I'll have a look at the sensor this morning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I started looking more into the problem and it looks like when they moved the machine from one side of the hall to the other they did not watch the voltage and instead of being hooked up to 208V as it was originally hooked up to they hooked up 240V instead. I rewired the transform to accept 240V but it did not solve my problem. Anyone know what would be the most likely culprit to go when over volted?

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a servo tool changer? If so your amp may be toast.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ifixcnc View Post
    Do you have a servo tool changer? If so your amp may be toast.
    Thank you very much for your reply ifixcnc, I do not believe I have a servo tool changer on this particular unit it looks like a regular motor with a counter on the back. I have another machine that is almost identical to this particular unit and I have noticed that the main motor fan starts up on startup with the working machine which it does not do with the machine that is down. Does anyone know if this may be the cause of my emergency stop error, or just a symptom thereof? Thank you again everyone!

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm stumped.

Promise me you'll buy parts from fadalvmcparts.com because you'll get in touch with David who is the "D" in FA"D"AL. He is the guru extraordinaire of Fadal issues. He has helped me immensely. But he has a business to run so PLEASE patronize his business. I promise. You won't be disappointed.

No. I don't work for them or have any affiliation. I have bought my replacement parts and upgraded my FADALs through them for years andthey have a great business I recommend without hesitation.

Downloads
    Uploads

" I have noticed that the main motor fan starts up on startup with the working machine which it does not do with the machine that is down."
    Put the working machine in E Stop and see if the fan runs. I would check incoming voltage, and all fuses and circuit breakers.

Downloads
    Uploads

You might be bleeding voltage through the K19 relay. Swap it with another and give it anothet try. (Thay was the year of the K19 bulletin) Also reinstall all your boards and you can also try a full reinitialize of the memory.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for all your help! I think I might try giving your friend a call warrenb, as I am still stumped though have made some progress.

I have found that by removing the A axis amplifier wires ( I have a 5th axis ) the machine will fire up again without the errors as well as allow me to use the remaining axis. If I take the plug from the A amplifier and put it into the B amplifier ( while keeping the B plug unplugged ) it reproduces the the same error but if I take the A amplifier and Plug it into the B plug ( while keeping the A plug unplugged ) the machine will run. So it must be something to with the plug before the Amplifier board. If it makes any difference it seems that the main axis ( X Y Z ) are all AC while the auxiliary Axis ( A B ) are DC.

Thank you Ifixcnc I have checked all the fuses I could find but they all seem alright, I also went through all the capacitors as well and they seem to be alright. I will see if the fan is not working alright with the card removed

carbidecraters I will try and check the K19 Relay.

Thanks again everyone!

Downloads
    Uploads

When you remove the A axis amplifier wires are you probably disconnection the 5th axis. Try to remove the plug from the 5th and see if she will power up. You have isolated the problem, now its just a matter of figuring out what you have disconnected.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ifixcnc View Post
    When you remove the A axis amplifier wires are you probably disconnection the 5th axis. Try to remove the plug from the 5th and see if she will power up. You have isolated the problem, now its just a matter of figuring out what you have disconnected.
    Thanks ifixcnc, the fifth axis has been disconnected for a while so it is not plugged in at the moment. It seems that the problem must be some where down the line from the A axis plug that plugs into the A axis amplifier but I do not know exactly from there what may be the problem. I could potentially even use the machine without the fifth axis for the time being however I still cant use the machine because the motor for the tool changer wont turn it just moves half a rotation then stops. I feel because both are on DC the problems are related, I just don't know what might have given up.

Thanks again everyone