Need Help! High/Low Pozi-Drive Cylinders are Jerky

Thread: High/Low Pozi-Drive Cylinders are Jerky

Downloads
    Uploads

Default High/Low Pozi-Drive Cylinders are Jerky

We just purchased a used 2007 Mag-Fadal 4020 that arrived a little more "gently used" than described.

We've worked our way through most of the issues that were present when it was delivered, but one that we cannot seem to solve is a problem with the high/low drive belt system. The machine was squealing horribly every time it changed from low to high gear and the spindle started. We took the sheet metal cover off and started to inspect things, starting with the belts. Surprisingly the belts were clean and dry with no apparent problems. We started doing gear changed and noticed that the air-over-oil cylinders that engage the belts were moving very slowly and with a jerky motion, not smooth like they should be. We disassembled all of the lines and flushed them with clean oil to make sure the system wasn't contaminated, then refilled them but got the same result. We assumed they were bad so we ordered new ones and replaced them, but STILL have the same problem using new cylinders and new oil. We completely flushed the system and allowed clean air to flow through both the high range lines and low range lines all the way up to the cylinders. The pressure is only about 85 psi, but it should be plenty strong enough to move the cylinders smoothly. Refilled and tested, with the same result. Finally, we checked all of the pivot points and bushings and nothing is binding anywhere that we can tell. With the air removed from the machine we can manually swing the cylinders in and out by hand with no jerky feeling. I'm completely stumped by this problem at this point. We have good cylinders, good oil, good mounting, good air (seemingly) and still they will not move smoothly. The machine sitting next to it is almost identical and works flawlessly.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Any ideas on what to check to solve the problem?