Single phase Fadal

Thread: Single phase Fadal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Single phase Fadal

What is involved in getting my VMC 15 to run single phase?

Anyone here ever done it?

I know I know.....why?

It's going in my garage and 3 phase will run about 30k from the power co. Thats not really in my budget right now.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Buy a rotary phase converter, 15 hp. as I recall your new machine runs a 15 hp motor. You could go over size on the converter. Later, Big AL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey AL! So you get one of those radio control deeks yet?

I don't want to go the RPC route. The machine will run with single phase 220 input, all of the standard HP Fadals will (non high torque 15* horse motors).

But I need to know what changes I have to make to the wiring, if I need a new transformer, or if I just re-wire the existing one. New fuses etc.

I downloaded the manual from the Fadal site but all they give you is a wiring schematic, looks like Japanese to me.

I'm calling Fadal this morning to get the skinny, just wanted to know if anyone had done it. In this age of instant information I just couldn't wait till monday to find out.

* peak value as estimated by the marketing department.

Last edited by nervis1; 12-22-2003 at 06:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

If the machine has a variable frequency drive, it may be able to run from single phase input, to three phase output. AFAIK, the drive in such cases must be oversized to permit running a given motor hp, so I don't know what will happen when you try to start a large motor like that. Perhaps it can be started with a suitable start ramp time programmed into it, to control the inrush current, but you will never get full motor hp out of it, without upsizing the frequency drive.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[SIZE=4]You might want to call Canon Electric in Phoenix, these boys are top people in there field and I would let them run the wire in your shop. This is one of those deals thats a " pay me now or pay me (BIG) later". And no Dave we just got another 26" of snow from the day I talked to you last on the Phone, So I have not been thinking about shooting birds ( strange I'am usually thinking about shooting something). Later Dave. AL

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright...I gave in to the dark side.

I just ordered a "phase perfect" phase convertor (20R) and made the 3 phase plunge, (and left my credit card in a smoking hole in the ground).

After talking to the fadal rep the whole single phase idea took on a sour note.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nervis1,

wanna change your nick to destitute1?

Oh well, now you've spent the money, you can buy all kinds of 3 phase equipment now, and they can all share the convertor. I know, I went through that stage years ago, myself. I was glad to finally get on real 3 phase service though, because the starting characteristics of a motor on a convertor are not quite as good as "on the line", because the phase angles are not equal from a convertor.

BTW, is your electrical service beefy enough to handle the start load of that motor?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Believe it or not I already thought of that. I have a great electrician, he came over with and talked shop with my dad (architect and electric guru like some of you). They decided after looking at the machine specs from Fadals site (and a few phone calls to Fadal) that a 60A sub panel for the mill and 30A subpanel for the compressor would do it. He used 6g wire all ran in conduit, and all to code, from the main breaker box. The big grey boxes on my garage wall give the place that Tim Allen feel. UGH UGH. pretty cool.

I also ran all of this by the nice folks at CNCpros.

I hope everyones calculations are right but who knows. I'm prepared for Murphy to make a showing at some point.

I wish I could have "real" 3 phase but the electric co. wants 30k to pull a line to my house. This is just a hobby so that's hard to justify.

BTW thanks for helping out answering questions. This kind of info is hard to come by and I see there are lots of us beginners out here who benefit from your advice.

Last edited by nervis1; 12-23-2003 at 09:41 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

SMART MOVE DAVE. WELCOME TO INSTANT REVERSE. OH THE EQUIPMENT I'VE SEEN THOWN AWAY BECAUSE NOBODY HAD THREE PHASE AT HOME. I TRADED INTO A 15 HP ROTARY AND HAVE NOT REGRETED IT YET.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nervis1--
    You can run your VMC 15 on single phase. If you are using 240V then you'll need an 60 amp main breaker. You'll also need a T-812 or T-813 transformer (may already have that in the machine).
    Also be aware that you will see a drop in performance of approximately 20% by using single phase.

Neal