Vmc 2216fx??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vmc 2216fx???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ricky,
    The show was very...big. I was there for three days and didn't finish looking at the stuff that I planned to see. We were shopping for a new VMC and left more confused than ever (j/k). Everything is really competitive...seems like the in-class machines have nearly identical specs, prices, and cutting ability. The winner will be whichever machine has the best support in our area.

If there was anything I must have:
    Hardinge's new direct drive indexer...5,700degrees/second indexing and zero backlash. I was told you have to run a monster of a servo amp to get reasonable holding force without using the pneumatic brake.

I did learn that linear bearing machines can be made more rigid than I expected if certain design features are implemented (sorry to say, but Fadal and Haas lack all/most of these, but there is a pretty good price gap)

I didn't look at the lathes/turning centers. However, I did see Fadal's new [import] HMC and it looked real good. (but didn't see it cut) Apparently, it has been been around for a while, but sold under another name in other countries. If the lathe is an import as well, I would imagine that the bugs are probably already worked out. Hard to go wrong with Fanuc control.

Justin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply I wish I could have gone. It seems that its harder to chose a new machine with competetion so close. Machines have gotten much better over the years and you get alot more bang for the buck. Even lowerend companies are stepping up their quality and performance. Repair and service after the sell are big points nowadays. I bout a haas about a year ago and they never call and see how things are working out with my machine. They dont know if Im looking for a new machine or not. I am going elsewhere with my next purchace. I am looking at a Mazak Lathe and they are cutting a pretty good deal. Haas isn't in the same leage as Mazak in my book.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You definately should have gone. There were some very good show specials on new machines. Our timeline for another VMC purchase isn't until the spring, otherwise I would have dropped some dollars at the show.

I respectfully disagree with you about the quality thing. Based on what I saw at the show, it seems that the higher end companies are offering more competitive prices on higher end technology and the low end companies are not making drastic improvements while keeping their prices the same. Sure, there is a price gap, but it is closes up quite a bit when you load up the machines with performance options. I'm with you...I'll gladly spend a little more to buy a Mazak/Okuma/Toyoda/Daewoo/etc. rather than a Haas/Fadal/Hurco/etc.

Funny you mentioned Mazak...they threw me a killer deal on a VMC that is almost too good to be true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12