Identifying spindle bearings

Thread: Identifying spindle bearings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Identifying spindle bearings

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle bearing specs are not published. Rebuild of the spindles was designed to be a factory function so internal component specs were not released.

Neal

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah thanks Neil. My only reason for wanting to know is more to gauge the duty cycle at 10K RPM which is the speed we'll be using a lot and to know in advance if we'll need to deal with oil dripping on our wood parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle

the air/oil spindles have an oiler mounted above the waylube tank.air/oil spindles are unlimited duty cycle.if there is no oiler it is grease pack and they have a duty cycle of 8000rpm+ for 5 hrs. needs 20min. cooldown.unless this is an eary 90's machine with twin glass oil tanks that i am not sure of the duty cycle.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response. I don't see an oiler above the waylube tank but there are two hose fittings on the lower end of the spindle. One 3/8" (roughly) that's most likely the spindle coolant and the other is 1/4". I can hear a slight amount of compressed air escaping from the gap between the spindle taper and the spindle body. Does this suggest anything?

Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle

The small line is for the air seal.the bearings have a positive air pressure seal to keep coolant out.the air noise/leak is normal.this is the grease pack spindle and has the duty cycle as described before 5 hrs.@8000+rpm requires 20min. cooldown.some shops run them flatout for long cycles but they do go through spindles more that normal,so it is up to you if you want to risk it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by alex gitzel View Post
    The small line is for the air seal.the bearings have a positive air pressure seal to keep coolant out.the air noise/leak is normal.this is the grease pack spindle and has the duty cycle as described before 5 hrs.@8000+rpm requires 20min. cooldown.some shops run them flatout for long cycles but they do go through spindles more that normal,so it is up to you if you want to risk it.
    Thanks so much for the information. One less thing to worry about before we start making parts.

Our longest cycle time is in the 15 minute range before a tool change. I'll keep an eye on the spindle temp for the first while though.