EZ-Cam questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EZ-Cam questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is the best tool yall have used to do fine detail engraving? I dont want the edge of the tool hitting a wall or something like that. Im thinking a .0625" ball endmill or a #1 centerdrill. Most of the material ill be working with is aluminum.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you're just looking for older version(s) of EZ-Cam software, do a search for it online, as I think there are several hacked versions floating around that are free or very cheap. I still use my Version 6 EZ-Cam for about 99 % of my shop work, been using EZ-Cam for nearly 25 years, since Version 1 came out about the same time I bought my B'Port Boss 9. The 386 computer that came as part of the package was "State of the Art" at the time, now is a dust collector. The whole package, computer and all was over $6k, but the time savings over hand writing programs was incredible. We upgraded as far as version 6, tried "Feature Mill" and hated it, went back to Ver 6 and still use it daily. If anyone has programming questions about Ez-Cam (up to Version 6) let me know as there is very little about it I haven't figured out. BTW, would that generous fellow be interested in giving me a small cnc Lathe? LOL
    As long as this thread is talking about some old hardware and software, when we got our first Boss 5 cnc, it came with a teletype machine to make and save programs. Now that was a pain! After the second teletype went up in smoke (really), I hacked an old data terminal that I bought for $50 out of the back pages of the old Computer Shopper (when it was still printed on newsprint) and used a series of them until I got a used 386 pc and set it up, I'm still running Windows 3.11, using the terminal program for editing. Works like a charm and old computers are a dime a dozen, so why switch? I even have a copy of EZ-cam on the "terminal" computer for quick updates, and an RS-232 link back to the "program" computer to exchange files. Beats "sneaker net".

Last edited by fredhh47; 11-19-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also have been using e-z cam for 25 years, but suddenly have had a problem downloading programs to my tnc 145 controlled bridgeport. pc is good controller is good, cables are good, even downloaded software into another pc and tried that. Have you ever had any probems with utilites? checked baud rate, comport there too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Klem,
    I don't know about the tnc 145 controller, but my B5, and B6 machines are notorious for developing all sorts of weird problems when the boards get dirty. If you haven't checked them recently, I'd start there. A very tiny bridge of oily, dusty residue across two pins on one of the dozens of ic's can throw the control into a tizzy. Maybe a bridge has formed that changes the baud rate (even though, at least on the B'port control, that is set by real switches), or the com protocol, or whatever. Dirt is the absolute enemy. I clean mine about every three months.
    Fred

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello! I'm glade to be a member of that forum and soon I will come with news about my CNC project! Sorry for my english.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12