Europe Cutting Stainless Steel 6 mm

Thread: Cutting Stainless Steel 6 mm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting Stainless Steel 6 mm

Good Morning, i need help in order to cut plates of stainless steel 6mm in disks of 60 mm diameter. What do you recommend considering the cost and the speed factor?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting Stainless Steel 6 mm

More information is required. There are many ways to do it. What accuracy? Number of parts required?

Depending on the accuracy required, laser or waterjet might be the fastest.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well stainless steel comes in plates of 2 m x 1 m , or 3 m x 1.5 m , or 2.5 m x 1.25 m . We want to cut the whole plate in pieces of disks of 50 mm diameter. Accurancy is not so important because in the next phase the pieces are being proccesed in CNC. What is important though is the cost. Right now we are using plasma to cut the aluminum plate in stripes and then we use a press to extract the pieces. I am looking for a less costly and faster way to do this...

Kostis Panagiotou
    Athens, Greece

Downloads
    Uploads

Laser or water jet might be the best.

Laser might leave a hard edge that may cause problems with the next operation, depending on the stainless alloy. A very expensive machine to purchase.

Water jet would be more expensive to run. Very expensive to purchase

CNC plasma torch would be the least cost to operate, but again might leave a hard edge. Reasonably low cost to purchase.

The other option is to purchase 60mm round bar, and cut it with a CNC cold saw. Would waste a lot of material in cutting, the blade is about 4mm wide.

Shearing the sheets into strips and punching might be the least cost and fastest. It would take a very large shear, but they are available. You are already setup to punch the pieces if your press is large enough. Maybe you could purchase material sheared to strips from your metal supplier. That is a common way to purchase in the USA.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the fast reply. I already have a fiber optic laster 1 kw. Could that do the job less costly? Also how can i calculate approximately the time to cut a piece?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know much about laser cutting, I am not sure if you can even cut 6mm stainless with 1 kw. But the best way to find out is to try it. Maybe talk to the laser manufacturer for advice on that.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA