I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother View Post

for scale, that spindle is about 240mm. the X axis is about 600mm.

That mill looks a little more robust than I originally envisioned. I think it will work for a small hobby machine. One thing I would do is mount the motor for the spindle on some riser in that square cutout section on the top. This will put the mass of the motor closer to the column and if it's filled with EG it will make a good vibration dampening mount for the motor. You may also wish to consider beefing up the base and the bottom of the vertical column to add some mass and stiffness. It need not take up much extra space but it will improve the machining quality.

If you have access to some surface plates and a mill you can get it pretty square. You can machine the parts very even and square and then use bolt together construction and then pour the EG in there.

Default Re: I need advice on this design. EG mill head with spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezz View Post
    You may also wish to consider beefing up the base and the bottom of the vertical column to add some mass and stiffness. It need not take up much extra space but it will improve the machining quality.
    I can always make it thicker fairly easily. Changing the shape will be more difficult though as it is really easy to bolt that mold together rigidly. That way when I vibrate the mold it won't shift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12