Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration

Thread: Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration

Default Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration

I like to share my mineral cast CNC mill.
    The construction of the machine is in progress, all basics are done and i could already mill a lot of wood plastic, aluminium and brass.
    There are still some upgrades and settings i need to finish for my CNC milling machine, my portal CNC milling machine is designed for heavy machining.
    At first i will share the machine bed, a 150 kg cast.
    My model and stl. is on grabcad for downloading. The portal / bridge will follow.
    I think the whole model is scalable for bigger or smaller construction
    https://grabcad.com/library/cnc-machine-base-1

If you want to see how we made the machine, check out my videos.
    <font color="#333333">
    MerkenMerken
    MerkenMerken

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration-base-starnparent-preview-jpg   Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration-img_0051-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration

Thank you for sharing with us!
    Why did you make gantry legs so tall, and z axis and spindle hanging so low under z axis cariges? Will that be in your final design? It looks like all the benefit of really impresive structure will be lost with that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job , i was wondering what mix u use , what epoxy ?
    What is the weight of entire machine ?
    Thanks .

I have some setup possibilities for the spindle and the axis carriages and somehow it was important for me to have at least this much z working space in case.
    Current settings; carriages apart and spindle mount on the bottom with 17cm workspace.
    I can put the carries together and the spindle mount with the spindle up for maximum working space of 21cm.
    It can get critical, when i make further upgrades. I had no problems so far.
    Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration-z-axis-gantry-legs-jpg

I have tried to get basalt in all grain sizes, i could find only one.
    That why i had to mix bassalt with 18mm, white and black granite i think 14mm, gravel (i am not sure what) 8mm and 4mm and a pinch of sand.

Sand was actually 30%
    gravel 4mm 20%
    gravel 8mm 20%
    granite 14mm 15%
    bassalt 18mm 15%

Basalt is the hardest, i think its the best to go with.
    The mixture with the different grain sizes should be as dense as possible, also to save money on epoxy. Its Resinpal 1707 and i spent 600€ only for the epoxy.

Both parts weighs 330kg

Handmade mineral cast art;
    Epoxy granite CNC mill inspiration-mineral-cast-epoxy-granite-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Did u try to mill steel with this build?
    I would like to see hiw u mill steel with it , i am interesed to build one.
    WHat linear size do u use and what is strveling of axis ?
    Thanks.

Not yet but milling steel is the goal.
    linear size; 23mm
    x 470mm
    y 360mm
    z max 210mm now 170mm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nicework guys

Thanks.. I started with 0 experience in CNC, CAD, CAM and casting. Actually i am luthier and i am amazed about the possibilities with CNC controlled machines. I am sure, when done, i will start a new one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck man

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great work! Would be awesome if you made a video about how you prepared the epoxy granite materials and mixed it all together.

Good idea, i already thought about it but first i need a reasonable part to cast! Maybe a 90 degree fixture.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How did you go about aligning the base to the column? How did you ensure that the column was perpendicular and square to the table? Were the mounting interfaces between column/base shimmed, scraped or grouted?

I aligned the column to the already arranged x guiding rails on the base with a straight edge and a large set square and i flipped the squares to check its accuracy. I measured the gap between the set square and the straight edge wich was aligned to the collumn with 0.01mm,0.1mm and 0.2mm feeler gauge bands. (You can stack them up...)
    Then i casted the column onto the base with epoxy - trying to make some kind of predetermined braking point by putting a film of wax in-between (wich i hope will work
    The whole process took a lot of time as i could not afford the proper measurement tools.

I used a (915mm x 38mm x 9.5mm) VERITAS strait edge. They claim high precessions on all sides of 0,025 mm over whole length.
    the t-swuare and set square where form Aristo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Idmeister, is this your youtube channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzM...-elxd0LNhkaXPQ

Also can you experiment your machine with stainless steel and hardened steel to see if it will mill precisely? It seems like the perfect cheap solution for people who want a cheap cnc that will mill steel...thanks for all the help you provide.

Hello! Yes thats my channel and i have made a new slideshow of the whole project from the beginning in 2015 till today.
    Not everything is finished today but the mill is operating since February 2016.
    The machine is planed for milling steel but i need some further upgrades first, especially a slower, more powerful spindle. Stay tuned, steel will be the ultimate test for the finalized machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you give more details about your ways covers? Did you put scissors mechanism underneath? What is that white stuff you used for scrapers?
    Thanks mate!

Last edited by Zekyx; 02-15-2017 at 08:17 AM.

I need to make scissors for the cover because sometimes, with to much dirt, they get drawn out.
    I also think the aluminium is not the perfect choice because the abrasion is high and this stuff gets pasty and sticky. I may remake them out of stainless steel one day.
    The white stuff is plastic with good gliding ability, they are actually not made as scrapers but as catch and water blocker. You just gave me the idea that i should make proper scrapers in addition.
    Thank you!